The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mod Question
Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2019 4:02 pm    

I know this is a long shot, but I have an older Peavey KB2 I use as a PA for my smaller nursing home gigs (I do a one-man show with vocals, guitar and backing tracks I've recorded). The KB2 is great, but it lacks a master volume control - each channel is independent.

Is there any way to add a master control to an amp like this?
I kind of doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks, Brad

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2019 4:28 pm     volume

just a shot...if it has a effects loop try a volume pedal in it...it might control the overall volume of entire amp..worth a shot..thats just a test..if it works you can make a master volume box for $10..I can give you a link
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Last edited by Derrick Unger on 3 Jan 2019 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2019 4:40 pm    

A tech could easily add a master volume control, but it might cost you $75-$120. An easier idea would be a cheap mixer. You can buy a small 4 channel mixer, and mix everything down with that, but then you'd wouldn't have any individuality on the EFX for each input.

But first, after looking at the amps controls, I'd ask Mike Brown if you could run a cord from the Channel 4 Monitor Output jack to the EFX Return jack. If the levels aren't too far off, you could then use the Channel 4 volume control as a master.

Worth a shot, anyway.

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 6:47 am    

Great ideas. Thank you! The amp does have an effects loop so I'll try that. Unfortunately, Ch4 is a monitor input so I guess that wouldn't work. Otherwise that would be the perfect solution for me.

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 1:58 pm    

Well, I tried. The only volume pedal I've got is on my old Boss GT-6 and I can't configure it to work for this.

Then I tried running from the headphones out to the monitor in, but that didn't work for obvious reasons.

Derrick - if you'd be so kind as to send me that link for the master volume box, I'd sure appreciate it. May or may not work, but for $10 or so, I'll just build one for fun.

I have a small Alesis mixer with fx I use in my larger rig, but don't really want to use it in this little setup. I also do use a Zoom A2 and a TC Helicon G-XT for effects so all I really need is a master volume control(well, I don't really NEED it, but it's like an itch you can't quite reach Smile )

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 12:00 pm     It Works!!!!!

Thanks to the tips here and some good help from Rick Unger, I was able to make a Master Volume Control for my Peavey KB2 amp. I set it up to plug directly in to the effects loop. And it actually works (my efforts, not the concept Smile.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 12:48 pm    

Good job!

Where there's a will..there's relatives.

Jim Pollard

Cedar Park, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 1:48 pm    

Slick!