The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stuart Legg's E9 notes and books
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 4:15 pm    

I've had a lot of folks ask me about all of My son Stuart's E9 notes and books.
Stuart has no interest in selling anything he has written. He comes on here occasionally and post something he thinks might spur some interest.
Stuart has stated to me many times why he doesn't share more of his notes.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 4:20 pm    

Stuart Legg:
"Great playing can't come from a book. It’s on the recording, you have to get it from the musician themselves.

It’s only when you turn on the music and listen with all of your attention that you begin to notice the secrets that made this player truly great. Through imitation you gain the most musical benefit.

transcribing is something you should do for youself.
A book can’t do it for you, your teacher can’t do it for you, and your favorite website can’t do it for you.

You have to put in the seat time alone. You have to dig deep into the music and musican till you can shine a light into the seemingly musical abyse. You must get into it until you hear things in there that you could never hear before."

dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 11:31 pm     Stuart

Bo Legg wrote:
Stuart Legg:
"Great playing can't come from a book. It’s on the recording, you have to get it from the musician themselves.

It’s only when you turn on the music and listen with all of your attention that you begin to notice the secrets that made this player truly great. Through imitation you gain the most musical benefit.

transcribing is something you should do for youself.
A book can’t do it for you, your teacher can’t do it for you, and your favorite website can’t do it for you.

You have to put in the seat time alone. You have to dig deep into the music and musican till you can shine a light into the seemingly musical abyse. You must get into it until you hear things in there that you could never hear before."

WELL SAID!!!

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 5:59 am    

I love this! Stuart is right in all of the statements. There is no short cut other than pure want to and dedication. It is amazing what you hear in a song if you listen deep. I mean REALLY listen. Somewhere in there you will here a musician's soul trying to get out. Thanks for posting Bo.
Perhaps we could see some more? Very Happy

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 8:59 am    

Yes, this is a bit of a tease.... Perhaps we could see more? If we asked Stuart nicely?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 12:34 pm    

Playing is a delicate balance of three things - what you want to play, what you should play, and what they (the producers, the public, or your band members) want you to play. All that can only be learned by listening and doing, and more listening and doing. Cool

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 1:46 pm    

Quote:
Stuart Legg:

It’s only when you turn on the music and listen with all of your attention that you begin to notice the secrets that made this player truly great. Through imitation you gain the most musical benefit

Indeed,Stuart, it could not have been better said..

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 2:34 pm    

Doesn't that beg the question of why he has notes and books?

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 3:38 pm    

When I was playing on the road Stuart would help me way back when the new songs weren't on the internet and I just couldn't keep up without Stuart's help in transcribing.

I had little experience on the steel and just didn't have time for soul searching but I had done a lot of that over the yrs. on guitar.
As a results I can't play all these years later anything that I got off those transcriptions because they weren't in my soul. So in reality I learned very little from those transcriptions.

Stuart is my theory teacher. I thought I knew a lot, but spending time talking theory with Stuart is a real experience. All his notes and books are really just notes from his studies of all kinds of theories!

It was so remarkable how Stuart who never played steel could learn in a very short period of time to transcribe E9 playing so accurately.

A lot of times I couldn't or didn't play it well which I'm sure over the years was just unbearable for him.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 2:31 pm    

Bo Legg wrote:
lot of times I couldn't or didn't play it well which I'm sure over the years was just unbearable for him.

That's pretty funny. I've kidded Stuart a lot, but of course I'm just envious.

I wouldn't guess that the collected works of theories would be available in the market, would it? And why not?

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 23 Jan 2019 4:33 am    

You have to remember he did all of this before we had access to the internet and he had to keep a lot of written notes.
He learned by lot of library time, listening and figuring out on his own (on a big old floppy disc and he had no Works or Excel)
We were doing top 40 country and there was no tab out there that would be available when the song was new and fresh. There was no way I could have made it without Stuart!