The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Williams SD10 with 5 pedals
Joe Romanchick

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 3:51 pm    

Hello,
First I am a novice..I just received a Williams SD10 that has 5 pedals..For normal C9 from what little I know, the first pedal would raise 5 and 10 and pedal 2 would raise 3 and 6, and pedal 3 would raise 4 and 5.....
This guitar lowers 3 and 6 on the first pedal, and from there on the pedals are the normal C9 setup as above..Any thoughts on this setup as to why it would be this way..
The 5 knee levers appear to be the standard C9 setup.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 4:04 pm    

C9 ??? You mean E9 I believe.Strings 3&6 should be G# open.Maybe they are A open
lowering to G# with the B (second) pedal.Weird but why not ! If I were you I’d get back to the standard tuning of your G# strings raising to A.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 4:12 pm    

C9 ??? You mean E9 I believe.

Joe Romanchick

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 4:23 pm    

My mistake,I did mean E9..My old brain sometimes fails...
The first pedal lowers 3 and 6..The second pedal is the start of the normal E9 setup, meaning raising 5 and 10...

I don't understand why the first pedal lowers 3 and 6 when the rest of the pedals are normal E9...…….

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 4:26 pm    

Joe Romanchick wrote:
My mistake,I did mean E9..My old brain sometimes fails...
The first pedal lowers 3 and 6..The second pedal is the start of the normal E9 setup, meaning raising 5 and 10...

I don't understand why the first pedal lowers 3 and 6 when the rest of the pedals are normal E9...…….

Because the person who had the guitar before you wanted that change on that pedal. No big mystery.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 4:34 pm    

YES !!!

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 5:18 pm    

Joe Romanchick wrote:

Because the first rule of setting up pedals and knee levers is that there are no rules Winking

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 5:36 pm    

I know lowering 3 and 6 a half tone used to be a popular change, but I found what I thought were better uses for an extra pedal. Many modern copedents use the 0, or extreme outside pedal to lower 5 & 10 a whole tone. This combined with lowering string 6 a whole tone, is what's known as the Franklin change, ala pedal steel master Paul Franklin.

If it were my guitar that's what I'd do. Set pedals 2, 3, and 4 as the standard pedals you quote, having the 2nd pedal, or B pedal raising string 3 & 6 a half tone, G# to A standard raise changes.

Joe Romanchick

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 5:51 pm    

Jerry,
Thank you for the explanation..I just wondered why it was done..Being a novice, I am not sure I will actually use the 0 pedal, but in time I will at least know right from the beginning what to do...………….

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 6:20 pm    

You're welcome of course, I've never used the 3, 6 lower so I'm sure there are others that can offer more insight.

Off hand, it gives a minor change, flatted 3rd, in the no pedals position, but there are other more efficient ways of doing that IMO. I'm sure there are licks to be had with that configuration as well. To each his own however.

Best of luck as you go forward. JO.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 8:40 pm    

Williams guitars are easy to change setups on. If you want something different it takes no time at all to change.

Joe Romanchick

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 2:18 am    

I think that until I learn how to make some good noise, I will just ignore the first pedal....

It looks like it came that way when it was made, because I can't see any marks where it may have been moved..

I would like to know now, when it was made.....

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 7:04 am    

Joe, get the number off it and contact Bill Rudolph at Williams Guitars and he can tell you exactly when.My Williams was the next guitar built after Lucky Oceans.

Joe Romanchick

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 9:28 am    

Craig,
I did that and he got right back to me with April 2015....
Great company.......
Joe

Joe Romanchick

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 5:48 am    

Being the novice that I am, I was having a hard time trying to learn this thing with the original pedal setup..My long legs would get in the way of themselves..So, I did what will probably make many here think, what is wrong with me, but I changed it to three pedals..It was not hard to do, and it needed no more parts, and before I did it, I wrote down the way it was..It now just seems simpler to me..
The funny thing is that before this guitar, I was ready to get away from all this, and was selling the projects I had..This is actually the guitar I would have ordered if I was to order one..When I saw this I jumped right on it and purchased it..I did not even have an amp..Now I have a Nashville 112..When I get a little more cash together, I will get a good volume pedal..Now I am trying to learn a song..I will be 74 this year, and it is a little late in life for all this, but at least I am trying...

chuck lemasters

Jacksonburg, WV
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 7:48 am    

Love the colors on this one. I see nothing wrong with eliminating the fourth pedal. You can always add it as you progress, if you so desire.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 8:23 am    

Dennis Montgomery wrote:
Joe Romanchick wrote:

Because the first rule of setting up pedals and knee levers is that there are no rules Winking

Wouldn't want to be codepedent.

Try pressing the first and second pedals together and see if they make anything interesting. I'd maximize the pedal to use it with P2 or on its own.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 8:39 am    

Never too late Joe. Beautiful guitar. Williams are terrific guitars. I played one for a few years before foolishly letting it go.

I applaud your efforts to make the guitar fit and suit your needs. You may want to make other changes as you go....or maybe not. Thing is you have options with this modern guitar design.

Best of luck with your journey. This is a good place to get help...and advice... Whoa!

Joe Romanchick

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 10:36 am    

Thanks for help and comments, and yes it is a beautiful guitar..I have the standard E9 setup and that works for me, with the learning I want to do..With all the help on youtube and trying to read tabs, sooner or later I will get it..I do not expect to be any great player at this point in my life, but I just would like to learn a few songs....

Joe Romanchick

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 10:38 am    

Thanks for help and comments, and yes it is a beautiful guitar..I have the standard E9 setup and that works for me, with the learning I want to do..With all the help on youtube and trying to read tabs, sooner or later I will get it..I do not expect to be any great player at this point in my life, but I just would like to learn a few songs....

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 1:49 pm    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
Dennis Montgomery wrote:
Joe Romanchick wrote:

Wouldn't want to be codepedent.

Definitely not, that would that be a codependent copedent Smile

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA