The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ibanez Iceman Lap steel
Mike Brenner

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2019 7:56 pm    

just fooling around on my new toy: a modded Ibanez Mikro Iceman, now a lap steel with a sustainiac driver, kill switch and a Seymour Duncan JB in bridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZEmfv76_5Q&feature=youtu.be

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 12:11 am    

Nice tone. So is that a regular guitar done up for slide?

Mike Brenner

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 7:33 am    

Godfrey---it's a Mikro, so maybe 3/4 size of a reg gtr. Ibanez markets them as kid-sized or as a backstage plaything. The neck is 22.5" so pretty good for lap. the string spacing is too narrow, but still a blast to play on.

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 7:53 am    

Awesome tone, Mike (and great playing, as always). I assume it has super-hot humbucker? The kids dig those, or so I hear.

Mike Brenner

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 7:58 am    

thank you Peter---it's a Duncan JB in the bridge and the Sustainiac driver in neck. still getting used to string spacing and neck width, but it is super fun.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 7:29 pm    

Nice cool great picking.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 9:13 pm    

Yow!. Groovester Mumbai metal.... how is the quality on those Mikros? I saw one that was just awful, but many years back. I tore through a bunch of cheapies, in order to get to an octave 5-string mandolin* - the ESP LTD "F-Jr." did the trick. It's from the 2nd tier up of quality, quite decent. Like, the pickups pick up, the tuners tune, the frets fret etc.

It's black and batty-metal in a humorous way (like your Ibby Very Happy ), but hey - 21.5" scale, C-G-D-A-E low to high, sure beats a $1,500 custom mando, which is the only other way to go. There's some gorgeous stuff out there, but golly. The Squier baby Strat is junk. I'll have to look them Ibby puppies up.

*(yes, ALLOOO Srinivas, goodby mind. Laughing )

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 11:01 pm    

A-Okay, I can't figure out how to link direct, but you WANT THIS ONE. Seriously Mike, nothing else is real. It's from the '99 Remember Shakti tour, just the quartet (no singer... um, snif? oh darn... Cool heh heh).
you need to go here:
http://tela.sugarmegs.org/
poke in "R", thence to "RememberShakti1999-06-26BerkleePerformance->etc."

McLaughlin is playing BERKLEE, with all the snottiest little guitar grommets in the world, learning how to blast away at warpdrive speed... And he knows it. And it's the North American debut of U. Srinivas.

Besides converting oxygen to carbon dioxide and food into poo, my function in life seems to be collecting MELODY-MANUFACTURING TRICKS, stretching & compressing and folding together the upper partials of different scales etc., all that stuff. "Improvisation" is nothing like what 92.5% people think it is. There's always a WHY to the second note, a REASON to play the third one, and... etc. In McLaughlin's very first solo here, he USES MORE 0F THE TRICKS in one single solo than I have every heard before or since. He's quite clearly ON, the mothership is beaming straight through an open channel. I find it stunning, breathtaking, to each their own of course. This is the kind of playing where NO ONE could cop these licks - including himself, after; but it's a clear, lucid answer to the question "why DID God make fingers?" Mr. Green

And then Srinivas smokes his ass.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 6:07 am    

David Mason wrote:
Groovester Mumbai metal....

I’ve never seen these three words in the same sentence before, but after watching Mike’s youtube offering, they made perfect sense. Good stuff Smile

Mike Brenner

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 6:38 am    

haha GMM sounds like the name of my next recording!

thanks David---that Shakti stuff is so insane. I studied in India briefly and the musicians over there are out of this world, just unbelievable.

The quality on the Mikro seems to be cool. I might use the old pickups on another project.

I dig the sustainiac so much that I may pick up another and install in a more full scale steel. The Mikro's pickups are a little close together and can cause some freq talkback, but still pretty rad.