The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for my next baby, one neck Pedal steel!
Ben Waismann

Israel
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2019 10:47 am    

Having a great time with my 20 years old 2 neck GFI ULTRA,
I need another steel, (1 neck) for practice and gigs
that will sound amazing, and be very well built, since I'm living in a place no one cant understand this instrument and how he can be taken care of in the technical way.

Just me, the player that have 0 mechanic skills to maintain the instrument the best way i could.

What is the best sounding steel that money can buy today?
A strong built, monster steel guitar to match my heart?

Are you out there??
Thanks you all!

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2019 11:33 am    

Well you really opened up a can of worms with your questions. But there is lots of very good choices out there new An used steels.
I would suggest Micky Adams a long time forum member if he still sells his videos on
How too mantain an general problem solving ideas on all makes of pedal steels.I think there much more fun too work on than play.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2019 1:56 pm    

Before I even knew anything about a steel guitar I bought an old 73 MSA off ebay and it was stiff and semiseized when I got it.

I did a hail mary, tore it down piece by piece, cleaned it all up and put lithium grease on the changer shaft and oil on the pivot points. Put it all back together.. rodded it and canted the cranks to time the pulls.

It was sooo totally easy and obvious on how to work over that guitar. Dead simple design.

Plentiful, solid as a rock and one of the best playing guitars ever designed. Parts never in short supply.

I am very much afraid of doing the same thing with a PP I now own

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2019 3:03 pm    

I'm intrigued by your being an Israeli steel player. What's the nature of the gigs you have in Israel? Bars that feature C&W? Private parties? What kind of folks are in your audience?

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2019 4:45 pm    

Ben, I really have to recommend the new Sierra S-10. It is top shelf in terms of build quality, innovation and most of all, sound; at least to my ears. I have had mine for almost a year and it has needed no maintenance out side of a few sets of strings.

It is really worth your consideration. Ross Shafer of Sierra has quite a number of posts on the Forum including links to an extensive collection of "Makin Chips Videos." Ross has video'd the many and varied steps he goes through making the Sierra's. Here is the most recent vid:

https://youtu.be/S_u8WMjr3Is

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2019 4:50 pm    

I would sure check out the Mullen Discovery. All pro guitar single neck at an affordable price.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2019 6:21 pm    

I had exactly the same questions Herb.

Ben Waismann

Israel
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 4:59 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
I'm intrigued by your being an Israeli steel player. What's the nature of the gigs you have in Israel? Bars that feature C&W? Private parties? What kind of folks are in your audience?

You guys will be surprised, recently more folk and indie country bands showing up.

I know in Israel maybe 3-4 steel players, but each person whos got to hear the steel his reaction is overwhelming.

Also we have 3-4 folk-indie-country annual festivals with many great local bands. most of them are singing in English of course.

I play in a country band, but im getting to record more often to similar genres that want the color of steel.

Thank you all for the Answers!

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 5:44 am    

Somehow I get the feeling he’s not talking about country bands from Indianapolis?

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 8:24 am    

Being where you are at you need something that will last and not give you any problems. I know our Mullen guitars will fit the bill. Check them out. www.mullenguitars.com

We have tone, reliability and quality. Guaranteed.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 12:36 pm    

I have to put a vote for the new MSA (have no experience with the old ones). I wanted quality, tone, and one that I wasn't going to have to tinker with, being a beginner at pedal steel. And boy, did they deliver! This is the finest (and most beautiful) instrument I have ever had the pleasure of owning. Also, if you don't like the tone of your pickup, you just slide it out and pop a new one in in a matter of 3 seconds.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 3:17 pm    

If you are looking for a new guitar, pretty much any will be perfect for you. They are all top quality these days. It doesn't have to be the most expensive to be the best guitar for you when others are equally as good. Get what you can afford. There is one being built that you should turn and run away from. We aren't allowed to mention the brand or builder here, so if you email or PM me, I'll clue you in.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2019 12:49 am    

Check out a Zum Encore. They sound great, play great and are reasonably priced.

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2019 11:08 am    

If money really is no issue, I can’t recommend the new Sierras highly enough!

I got a chance to meet Ross and try some Sierra steels over the weekend. These are on a whole nother level than anything I have ever tried. The rods and legs are made from carbon fiber, and are easy to adjust on the fly....everything can be adjusted while sitting and playing. The woodwork is top notch, and the tone is organic and warm. The design and engineering are truly groundbreaking in the steel world.

If I could, I would.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2019 3:33 pm    

My vote for the new Sierra. I’m lucky to be an old geezer and have a new Sierra.👍

Rich Ertelt

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 9:10 am    

Larry Baker wrote:
I would sure check out the Mullen Discovery. All pro guitar single neck at an affordable price.

I have a GFI Ultra and it is a good instrument.
I play guitar in a band with a steel player (who is a much better steeler than I am). He has a Discovery for rehearsals, small gigs, etc. Now he plays Day and I play Emmons but I can noddle on it a little, and I think it is a GREAT playing and sounding steel. I am thinking of switching, actually, if I can get my hands on a "right handed" one, lol, and try it out for real.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 7:16 pm     Looking for my next baby, one neck Pedal steel

If you play both E9th and C6th necks. And just want a lighter guitar. You may want to consider another GFI, A S12 U ULTRA set up E9th/B6th. About every thing up one fret will be there from your E9th neck.

I have a GFI S12 U ULTRA it weigh 32 lb.(14.515 Kilo) In its case it weighs 49 Lb. (22.26 Kilo) I like its weight when handling it.
Good Luck and Happy Steelin.