The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  George L cable detangle ideas?
Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2019 4:42 pm    

I cannot get the reel memory out of my assembled George L cables, They want to curl up the way they arrived on the spool and its always a tangled mess.

I havent tried any physical de bending for fear of disturbing something, probably wont hurt, but first reaching out to see if anyone else has experimented. My real old George L cables are supple and they behave.

Thanks

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2019 7:12 pm     George L de-tangle ideas

I coil mine in a 4" circle, but I alternate the winds from side to side. One turn clockwise "behind" then the next turn in "front" counter clicksise. Keep going front to back and alternating clockwise/counterwise. This goes a !omg says in making them un-coil straight.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2019 7:39 pm    

Click Here

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 2:56 am    

The video link below is the way i was taught to roll up a cable. There are other ways that work. But this just comes second nature to me now. Hope it helps your situation. Very Happy

https://youtu.be/wXU0yA3GedY

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 7:34 am    

It seems to me that there are two considerations when coiling a George L cable. The first is to prevent internal twisting, and the other is to minimize the coil memory. The over-under method of coiling works well for long lengths of cable, but in my opinion is overkill for the short (10-15 ft) lengths we typically use on stage. For normal short cables, I just give a half twist with my thumb while coiling it up. It achieves the same objective of removing the twists. I've started treating my George L cables a little differently to avoid coil memory.

I carry my pedal rack and legs in a separate long gig bag to minimize weight and store the cable with them. My longest George L cable is 15 ft. I grab it approximately in the middle and line up the two ends, loosely bending it in half. Then in half again and again if necessary, not forcing the bends. At this point, I could use a cable tie in the middle, (making a big bow-tie) but don't bother. I just put it in the bag with the legs and let it take it's own shape. The shorter cables only get one loose fold. This method eliminates the internal twisting, and with the exception of a few bends, most of the cable is stored flat. Am I putting undue stress on the bend points? Time will tell. Meanwhile, they lay flatter on stage than if I coil them.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 7:55 am    

George L's are not my cable of choice. I've owned them and wasn't as impressed as some seem to be. Also the price per performance ratio to me makes them pricey putting it nicely. I prefer to build my own. Regardless, i don't like "twisting" any cable. A 10 to 15 foot cable is not a short cable. 15' is the longest cable i would even think of using. 1 foot is a short cable.

I roll all my cables with the method described in the video, which is the same method used in the communication field, and this same method of rolling is done by the fire department with their smaller fire hoses, generator cables, power cables and so on. I was taught cable and test lead rolling by the telephone company while i was employed there. I couldn't use a cable with a recoil "memory". Very Happy

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 9:15 am    

If all else fails try hanging them from one end so that they hang down in a straight line for a spell.

Hopefully you have a high enough place to hang your cables should they be long like 10 foot or longer.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2019 4:17 pm    

George Redmon wrote:
A 10 to 15 foot cable is not a short cable. 15' is the longest cable i would even think of using. 1 foot is a short cable.

I only refer to 10 to 15 ft cable as "short" compared to some of the speaker and mic cables we coil at gigs. Those "longer" lengths do require the correct over-under method to avoid twisting.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 3:00 am    

I've used George L's cables since they came out in the 80's. Great cable and I've never given the "curling" or whatever a thought. I wind them up (round) at the end of a gig and put them in my steel seat.

Lots of other things to be concerned with than guitar cords.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 9:01 am    

Audiophiles may balk at the suggestion of Fender custom shop cables, but they aren’t prone to curl memory. They’re also available in popular lengths suitable for steel.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2019 10:30 am    

I've used George L's cables for years...the small ones .155?...Yes, they are prone to tangle. I think it's because being small, the lack of weight causes their memory loss. If you notice, most other cables are larger are heavier.

Still, they're my favorite and I put several of them in my seat or bag and nearly always have to untangle them when I take them out.

If I use the velcro ties/wraps like I should, it probably wouldn't be a problem....it's just that I'm too lazy or pressed for time loading in and out.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2019 8:07 pm    

I don't seem to have much coil memory once laid out. I'm more concerned about integrity and life of the cable so I coil them up the way they prefer. I periodically hit them with armorall. I do use the velcro cable wraps which is about the only effective use of velcro I've ever experienced.
Hi Neighbor Tom.