Author Topic:  Austin City Desert Rose with JD FULL SHOW
dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 12:20 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-T18IpvdSY

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 2:08 pm    

IMO, Jay Dee's solo for Hello Trouble - coupled with his handoff to John Jorgenson at 16:46 - is one of the best instrumental transitions of all time.

What a great band.

David Rogerson

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 5:39 pm    

Excellent group. They set the bar (steel pun) that much higher. Interplay between Jay Dee & John is so tight & obviously well rehearsed. Are there any bands of this caliber around today? Apologies for my ignorance .

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 6:43 pm    

Helluva band! There's so much history and talent on that stage right there. Just great songs, fabulous vocals and playing all the way around.

Yes, I miss them and groups like them. It may never come back, but we'll always have these videos to remember how it was.

Thanks for putting that up Dan.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2019 10:31 am    

Over the past 9-10 years I have had the good fortune to see Desert Rose twice here in Northern California. These were during their short and very infrequent reunion tours.

It was like when you visit an old friend you grew up with but haven't seen in several years and the conversation is almost like it picks up where you left off.

The band didn't miss a beat in those two performances.

With the passing of their great bass player Bill Bryson in 2017, I don't know that there will ever be another one of these reunion tours, but I'm sure glad I have the memories of those two shows.

I never got to see the band when they were active. Those were the years of our three kids being young and I owned a business which required a lot of hours to run, so it was the "dark ages" for me as far as seeing high quality live music on a regular basis.

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2019 10:50 am    

I was lucky enough to be on a tv show with the DRB back in ‘88 in Vancouver, B.C. We went on first so I was free after that, so I had a chance to hound J. D. and ask just about every question in the book. He answered patiently and gracefully, then I got to watch them play their set. I was amazed to watch J.D. do variations on fills and solos on the repeated tunes, all of them equally as outstanding. Later, several of the band and our band got together at their hotel for a small gathering and I continued to pummel JD with questions. If they weren’t my favourite band before that nite, they were after.

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2019 5:33 am     Desert Rose Band

Got to see them right when they first came out in Dayton Ohio.Canal Street Tavern....probably 150 person max.place.Sat a few ft.away from JD.now thats the way to hear cats like this.....JD is exceptional.they all killed it...

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2019 1:17 pm    

I remember seeing this years ago. The BEST thing ever on ACL

Steve Becker

Daytona Beach FL
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 8:41 am    

Damn those guys are good! JD has such a distinctive style...so fast, clean and tasteful. All those 1/2 step walk ups he does.... He's killing it on every song, and he makes it look so easy!! I've seen this performance a few times before, but it never gets old.