The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Taking on some of the Evans/Shobud amps now.
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2009 12:35 pm    

Well, after much thought and several conversations with Jim Evans I have decided to take on some of the old Evans and Shobud amps. This will be a new adventure and will require a bit of a learning curve on my part for sure. Jim has given me permission to post the following from our email correspondence:

In follow-up of discussing whether you are interested in taking on repair of the older Evans amps that I built between 1962 and the mid 80's, I will be more than happy to e-mail you all the schematics, in the event you are interested in having tentative customers referred to you. When Buffingtons bought the company from Derrell and myself, they originally contemplated maintenance of the former designs, as well as the ones they were building.
But before long it became evident that they would have their hands full just taking care of the equipment they built. So the natural thing was to refer the former customers back to Derrell Stevens and myself.
When I briefly talked to Derrell Sunday, at the Sheraton on our way out, he mentioned that he was now ready to service any of the "FET-500 LV" models (The ones he built, after he took the business over from me in the mid 80's.) But I hesitate to load his shoulders with the models I built prioir to his involvement. This would basically include three designs, namely one all-tube amp, one hybrid amp, and one solid state amp with high-voltage JFET;s substituted for tubes, (with former tube-circuitry still in place but moved to circuit-board layout). The three amp-models this would embrace are:
(a) The Compactra-100 tube amp: I only built several of these with the Evans-name before starting with Sho-Bud in late 1965. From there, it took on the Sho-Bud-name and served as their traditional amp until around 1969.
(b) The Hybrid-300. This remained the same tube-pre-amp, but the tube-power-amp was replaced by the old classic "RCA 70-watt transistor amp" (from the RCA manuals). Kenneth Cain use this same circuit in the "CAIN" amplifier, which became the next "Sho-Bud" amp after my contract expired.
I originally intended the Hybrid-300 as a "Sho-Bud" upgrade. But, by this time, Baldwin was taking over Sho-Bud, and did not want them to take it on as a disributor. Still, so many Nashville musicians started asking for it, I unexpectedly found "Evans Amplifier Company" back in business.
(c)The FET-500: (first upgrade from the Hybrid-300) It had a huskier power amp, plus the preamp employed JFET's (300-Volt 2N6449's) to replace the 7025 tubes.
If you are interested in adding this to your line of repair work, I will be more than glad to send documentation, and pass referrals on to you. I have several hundred amps out there somewhere, and periodically get requests from owners who still like them. They want to know where they can get repairs, or sometimes just a 600,000-mile-checkup on these dinosaurs. Normally, I ask them to find some repair shop they trust, whereby they have the shop contact me by e-mail, for the schematic. I occasionally talk them through a repair by phone, if need be. I would really prefer to have someone like yourself to cite as a referral, where they could actually send you the chassis for repair or tune-up. I can't think of a more appropriate individual, since you are both known and respected in the steel guitar world.
I am not on the "steel guitar forum, but I read it as time and occasions permit. I would enjoy seeing you post a notice in the "Electronics" section, that you are becoming a repairs station for the old Sho-Bud Compactra-100's plus the Evans Hybrid-300's, and the original FET-500's. Feel free to mention that you and I are now electronic-associates, and that I recommended, and will fully support this move. This might even make some interesting steel guitar gossip for the forum. A lot of forum readers likely know about the old Evans/Sho-Bud amps of the 60's, but may have thought their builder probably died many years ago. Also, many know my original partner (now deceased) was steel guitarist Jerry Fox. (We even once discussed calling it the "Evans/Fox Amp") Who could guess what "speculation" his name matching yours might stir up in the imagination of some?

Matthew Prouty

Warsaw, Poland
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2009 1:07 pm    

Ken,

That's good news!

I am doing a cap job on my Evans Hybrid 300 and then going to do my Hybrid 200 (single channel version of the 300 as far as I can tell, as I have not opened it up yet).

I have a back ground servicing Tweed and Black Face era Fenders. I was quite surprised at build design on the Evans. It is like a work of art inside and so different from the Fender layout.

I am very excited to get my caps in and start working on this beast. It has the most beautiful tone now, with only a hint of needing a cap job, but its enough for my ears.

m.

John Lazarus

Tucson, AZ.
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2009 5:26 pm    

Ken,
This is good news!
I called Evans for repair work on my old FET 500 Custom (serial #8251, Texarkana, TX. built) last year and was told they couldn't help me and to to pitch it and buy a new Evans. This was a great sounding amp that needs some work to clean up the sound and get it back to it's former glory.
Where do I send the chassis and what is the procedure?
Thanks,
John

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2009 6:01 pm    

We are still in the beginning stages here! I am awaiting the schematics from Jim, they should arrive soon.

Remove the chassis and protect the electronics by placing a piece of cardboard over the open chassis are. Use large bubble (1/2 or so), not the small bubble size wrap. Wrap well to protect the amp from the shipping gorillas. Packing peanuts are of no use i n packing amps and just create a bug mess in the shop! Please avoid them if at all possible. Make sure the amp is in a good stiff box and not able to move about, or it will be damaged!

Use FedEx, USPS Priority Mail or UPS as your last resort for shipping! Insure your package for sure. If you let UPS or FedEx pack the insurance claim might stand a better chance of getting paid,m if damage occurs.

Kinko's usually does a nice job packing and is not outrageous in their charges. Watch them carefully and make sure they use bubble wrap and no packing peanuts.

I used them last summer to ship vintage amps from Idaho and they did a great job for me. I could have not bought the boxes and packing materials for what they charged, a real value I thought.

Send an email to me for shipping address and contact info.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2009 7:38 pm    

After reading the e-mail you posted, I'm wondering: At this point, who would be the person I should contact for repair/reconditioning of my FET-500LV (ser. no. 8351)?

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2009 4:32 am    

I do believe Derrell Stevens will be taking care if those amps, as they were his design.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2009 6:31 am    

I'm glad to hear that Derrell will be servicing these fine old amps. He built #8550 for me (1985). I sent the chassis to Evans not too long before Mr. Buffington passed away. I wanted him to check out all the caps and replace any that were suspect. He kept it for a few days and tweaked a few internal settings and called me to let me know that the caps were all still in great shape, after over 20 years. He did all the work at his home bench. When I would visit with him, in the evenings, he was usually in the house. I was fortunate to have him work on the amp before he died.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2009 8:15 am    

But is there a way to contact Derrell Stevens directly, or should I contact Scott Buffington?

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2009 9:25 am    

I do not know. I thought he was a Forum member. If so you can contact him via the Forum.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2009 11:49 am    

Derrell is a member of the Forum. He doesn't post very often, but if you use the Search function, you should be able to find one of his posts and send him an email.

Derrell Stephens

Shreveport, La. USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2009 2:24 pm    

Guys, just hit me with an email and we can get started on what you need. It's a pleasure to help.

Derrell

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2009 5:04 am    

Thanks. Darrell! It was also a pleasure to finally meet and talk with you in Dallas. Hope we get a chance next year at Dallas to catch up on the amp repairs and such!!!

Sandro Rocco

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2019 4:26 am    

Is it still possible to get the schematic for the Hybrid 300? I have one that I love and want to make sure I can keep it alive if anything goes wrong.