The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Poco "B3 - Leslie"
Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 10:09 am    

Inspired early on by Rusty Young & Poco, I've always wanted to get that Steel & B3 thing. Several ways to do it, my take on it is now this set up. The MCI S-10 goes into an Ernie Ball VPJR (w/Bradshaw pot), then to a JHS Buffer. From there it Y's into two paths: one for "Steel" and one for "B3"... an A/B switch selecting which goes to the amps. The "B3" chain is an EH B9 into an Ernie Ball Wah pedal, modified to limit it to a middle range. From there it returns to the Neo Ventilator 2 controlled by an Ashby Solutions half-moon, then to a basic Hall reverb. (The vol and wah pedals are identical height... makes it nice going from one to the other)

It's one thing to make a steel sound like it's going through a Leslie, and quite another to make it sound like someone playing a B3. I'm able to get "that sound" at this point, but now the work begins... getting some organ chops. Rusty really worked at that with accurate and steady bar placement, use of the wah to simulate draw bars, and playing more percussively. I also love the sweet steel style of Buddy, Brummley, Perkins, et al. What an amazing instrument we have at our finger tips!
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 10:19 am    

That looks like a good setup.
I have a question, how does the Ashby Solutions half-moon affect the sound?
Thanks!
Erv

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 10:25 am    

Very nice setup!

Lee Warren

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 10:32 am    

Erv, I think the half moon is just switching the speeds of the Ventillator, remotely via a TRS cable.
There should be no signal running to the switch, and no impact on the sound.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 10:40 am    

Lee,
Thanks!
I guess it just takes the place of the Neo Ventilator remote switch then.
On Ashby's GHM-V5 Gigger model, it shows Chorale and Tremolo. Is that something different?
Erv

Last edited by Erv Niehaus on 19 Jul 2018 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Lee Warren

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 10:45 am    

Erv, that would be my best guess.
I'm a big fan of the Ventillator pedals, and need to buy one!

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 10:54 am    

Lee and Erv... you're right that the half-moon simply chooses the fast or slow speed of the NV. Bruce offers a slow/fast switch w/o a stop function. When in my "B3" mode, I want it engaged all the time. Thanks for the thumbs-up on my rig... there's a DI built in to the rack too. 1/4" out to the amps, and XLR w/gnd lift for PA. Also, a switchable fan to cool the Strymon power supplies if out in the hot sun.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 12:22 pm    

When you switch over from steel to B3 mode, how many switches do you have to hit? On my rig, it is two. But I use a single reverb pedal at the end and often dial it back. That’s pretty handy to have 2 reverb pedals for each signal path. One less thing to have to touch. I like your rig.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 12:44 pm    

Erv, the terms "Chorale" & "Tremolo" are just the Leslie names for Slow & Fast. Having the half-moon by my right hand (Velcro) works great... no interference with the feet, knees or bar hand.

Tom,
Right, just the A/B switch. The HOF2 verb is for the straight steel stuff (settings: song dependent)while the "B3" gets an HOF mini verb for a bit of ambience (medium hall), something like the old B3 internal spring verb.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 1:09 pm    

Mike,
Thanks, now I understand. Very Happy
Erv

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 3:39 pm    

FYI... Bruce Wahler reports that he has 10 of the 2 position half-moon switches left. After that he says they're gone. 3-ways still abound. www.ashbysolutions.com

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 6:34 pm    

Is there a link to the hear what the Poco "B3 - Leslie" rig sounds like?

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 6:28 am    

Pete,
It's all over this record, the very first cut on this link 'Hurry Up', has some stuff that you'd swear was B-3. Amazing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VxL_O87MAs&list=PL8a8cutYP7fpDcNpwWrlNfweNDrdmkRb0

BTW, I've messed with the leslie sound a bit, and the BIG piece of the puzzle is playing 'right'.. local Austin ace James Shelton has a series of online videos that may be helpful with the 'organ sound'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOxIWoUlA58&t=0s&list=PLOlKsCjnjVJluoun3DqqlQV9aIMNbuRn8&index=34

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 7:35 am    

I was talking about the rig pictured in the first post.
Is there any link to hear that Organ sound?

Last edited by Pete Burak on 20 Jul 2018 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 7:39 am    

Hey Pete,
Ah sure.. my bad. I misunderstood. I'd like to hear that rig too.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 7:54 am    

No prob, Bill. I love the Poco stuff, too!
fwiw I just don't think I could have all those pedals on stage just for the Organ sound.
I am using the C9, and right/left-hand-technique and volume pedal control to add Organ to some songs on gigs.
I have a B9 too but that Click knob is too much Click sound for me (not a problem on the C9 for some reason).
I noticed the B9 sounds great for regular guitar (Click knob seems to work much better with guitar).

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 8:00 am    

Hey Pete,
I'll try to record something with it one of these days. For now, until I get some organ chops, it'll be just "organ" chording w/Leslie & wah, then switch to "steel" and then back. Let me see if I can get something up this weekend.

Bill,
You're right about "Hurry Up" being the benchmark of this stuff. Another one I love is the title track from Poco's "Good Feelin' to Know" album. Lots of B3 work throughout with the Leslie churning away, then going to gorgeous steel at verse 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPMadlXtfE0

Last edited by Mike Bacciarini on 14 Jan 2019 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 8:12 am    

Yeah, I can't haul that much stuff either. A while back a singer/songwriter guy I work with asked for that sound for two songs in a 90 min show.

I checked out the Hammond and the Vent, which were both pretty cool, but I found a Line 6 Roto-Machine on the local Craigslist for 75.00 bux. For this particular gig it was perfect (i.e. close enough) and now he's 'over' the steel/organ thing, so it's in the drawer. Smile

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2019 10:36 pm     Update

Here’s what it sounds like. I rearranged the effects paths lately. The steel now goes into the JHS buffer then splits to the two paths. The straight steel stuff starts with the 25K volume, then POG, then Tube Screamer, then Small Stone phaser, then HOF2 reverb. The “B3” path starts with the EHX B9 (click off), then the modified EB wah pedal, then the 25K volume pedal, then the Neo Ventilator 2 w/Ashby half-moon remote, then a HOF Mini reverb. A Boss AB-2 selects which path goes to the Princeton 65w 12” and Rumble 200w 15” by way of a Radial Bigshot ABY. The volume pedal is stereo: two separate 25K sections.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1M4BKtRsedw

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 12:46 pm    

Excellent rig Mike!

I like your choice of pedals and power supply.

I couldn't hear your clip though, volume too soft.

A Good Feelin' To Know by Poco is a fave!

When that hit the airwaves in the early 70's, life was good!

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 3:45 pm    

Thanks Godfrey. Poco has made so much great music over the years... I never tire listening to them. Don’t understand about the volume. When I play the YouTube link it sounds ok. I’m really happy with these pedals and the Strymons. Its got excellent s/n ratio (until I kick in the phase shifter hah!) I built a Radial DI into the case, and a switchable fan for the power supplies. The “B3” chain works really well with the wah, and the other chain gives me the basic tools for a variety of stuff. I can get a nice 12-string sound using the POG with +1 only.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 4:10 pm    

Mike Bacciarini wrote:
Don’t understand about the volume. When I play the YouTube link it sounds ok.

I know what the problem is, Mike you only have the right channel of a stereo mix. The left side is dead which is the standard mono side.

I was listening through a small amp is how I listen to whatever's on the laptop and the volume is faint. I had thought about it before you replied, I wonder if I disconnect the amp and listen through headphones. I was correct.

It's only the right channel making sound.

You do get that "B3" feelin' and you get the rotors going with enough animation to make it sound believable.

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 8:56 pm     leslie

OMG Mike...someone has put some time and money in a setup...best to ya!!!!
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 10:10 pm    

Godfrey you’re right! I’ve only listened to it on my iPad speakers. Looks like my Canon camcorder has a problem. It’s so much fun to get the organ thing out of the steel, and pretty easy to get to with just one switch. I feel that having a wah or some way of “changing the drawbars” is essential. Watching this again, the flat notes on the steel part jump out and I realize that I never moved my foot over to the volume pedal for the steel. More practice and experience...

Hey Derrick, thanks! I put lots of research and planning into this system before pulling the trigger on the orders. The Forum has been so helpful.... I would have made some poor choices if not for all of you. This FX rack looks big and clunky next to a clean little pedal setup, but it gives me the tools I want within reach, and when I turn it upside down and remove the cover w/casters, there’s plenty of room for all the cables, pedals, tuner and a sandwich! Long live the Fender SS 12’s!

Last edited by Mike Bacciarini on 15 Jan 2019 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2019 3:00 pm    

Wow! That's mind blowing. Having always been an amp/guitar plug and play kinda guy, that kind of set up, with all those dials would probably send my ADD into a mind screw of no return, rendering me staring at my shoes for days at a time haha! Seriously, If I had to think about all that stuff, I'd forget all about the music. I have a DD3 that sits in my pack-a-seat and never sees the light of day - even at home. Hats off to you tech minded fellas!