The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Hudson Steel 2F/2K with Modified G Tuning
Dave Taylor

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2019 11:26 am    

I posted this ad about a year ago and got little response. There may be some new members on the forum, so I’m trying it again.

I bought a Hudson E9 6-string, 2 pedals, 2 knee levers guitar to attempt to learn the pedal steel. It really helped to the point that I felt ready for a full-scale version. So, I bought a Stage One ZumSteel Encore.

That left me with the Hudson, which I no longer needed. I attempted to sell it on this forum with the E9 setup, but, with no interest, I removed it.

I started thinking that here I had an extra pedal steel, and that I could probably re-purpose it so that it could be more useful. I had the idea that the guitar could perhaps be modified to a different tuning so it would not be just a scaled down E9 guitar.

I called Jimmy Hudson and discussed the possibility of modifying the pedals and knee levers on the 6-string Hudson to a standard GBDGBD “dobro” tuning, with the pedals and levers changing the chords to the corresponding chords on the E9 Steel. That we did (see the chart below). Now, without the pedals and levers it can be played as a 6 string “dobro” with the flexibility of having the inversions, minors and sevenths readily available. I also requested that, in case this didn’t work out, he allow the possibility of changing the guitar back to the E9 tuning. He replaced the welded cranks with adjustable ones with set screws. I also had Jimmy extend the legs by 1 inch for more leg room.

I installed a new pickup with volume and tone controls, and made some new pedal pull rods.

The instrument works great and has very nice tone.

As it turns out, I just have too much stuff, and I need some room.

The instrument comes with a hard case. I am asking $800 plus shipping.

Please call with any questions or comments.

Thanks,
David
801-583-0355

Dave Taylor

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2019 9:57 am     Okay, I give up

No interest after 3 years, please remove this posting. Thank you.

Richard Grasty

DEKALB Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2019 11:47 am    

did ever sell the guitar with dobro tuning...

rg

Richard Grasty

DEKALB Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2019 1:54 pm     dobro G TUNING

I AM SOME WHAT INTERESTED IN THE GUITAR IF YOU STILL HAVE IT.Sorry for the caps..I am a old retired dobro player and was thinking this might be something I could piddle around with as I have alot of free time on my hands...If you still have it please reply...

tnx richard G
Dekalb ill

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2019 2:53 pm    

Dave , unfortunately, Only 6 strings and only 2 pedals an only 2 levers will have little appeal when there is so much more available!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2019 3:14 pm    

It's a very good, intuitive tuning for a guitar player who wants to dabble in steel.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2019 3:29 pm     Re: Hudson Steel 2F/2K with Modified G Tuning

Dave Taylor wrote:
I started thinking that here I had an extra pedal steel, and that I could probably re-purpose it so that it could be more useful. I had the idea that the guitar could perhaps be modified to a different tuning so it would not be just a scaled down E9 guitar.

Here's a normal copedent chart for it:
Tab:
   LKL  P1   P2   LKR
D       E
B            C
G  G#              F#
D       E
B            C
G  G#              F#

The leg movements are exactly the same as on a standard E9th pedal steel, so it would be very easy to transition from one instrument to the other. I suspect that the lower tuning and humbucking pickup gives it an earthier tone, more suitable for bluegrass, blues and rock. This is a very cool idea! Cool

LKL+P1 is E Major tuning
P1 by itself is E Minor tuning
P1+P2 is C Major tuning
LKR by itself is B Minor tuning

Richard Grasty

DEKALB Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2019 3:29 pm    

DAVE I left a message on you landline, reply when you can...

rg
dekalb ill

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2019 4:49 pm     six string

Brian Henry wrote:
Dave , unfortunately, Only 6 strings and only 2 pedals an only 2 levers will have little appeal when there is so much more available!

Not much appeal to only six strings?
I have built and sold over 4200 six string E9th pedal steel guitars in the last 8 years. And over 100 open G tuned six string Pedal steels
Not much appeal to them, but I stay busy as a cat covering it up building and selling the six string pedal steels.

Some think it is a must to have 10 strings and a dozen pedals and knees to be able to make music.
Lot of music in six strings.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2019 7:49 pm    

Thank you for the update Jimmie. Great production and sales figures in 8 years. Congratulations. I was only trying to help Dave understand why after Three years for sale on the forum his 6 string Hudson had not sold yet!

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2019 4:37 pm     E9th

Brian Henry wrote:
Thank you for the update Jimmie. Great production and sales figures in 8 years. Congratulations. I was only trying to help Dave understand why after Three years for sale on the forum his 6 string Hudson had not sold yet!
E 9th tuning and setup sells the best.
The open G tuning works well for dobro players.
Several 100 of the Forum Members have a Hudson six string E9th setup they use to gig with. Easy to carry and has all anyone really needs to do Country or Gospel music and even Pop or Rock music.
It is the middle six strings the A&B Pedal and E raise and lower setup just as on a 10 string model.
And that is where a ton of the music is made even on the 10 string model. Most owners really love the Hudson Pedal steels. They are being used in Studio recordings and Live shows. You should buy one and see for yourself how great they are.

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2019 5:50 pm     I think that’s a great instrument !!

As a bass player who fools with way too many other instruments I think this is a great modification. I’ve made a couple of runs at pedal steel, but a childhood case of polio prevents my left foot from functioning as it should to rock the A B peals- either that or I’m just not coordinated enough to think pedals and knee levers and keep the bar over the right frets. I’m pretty comfortable with 6 string lap steel and Dobro. If I hadn’t just picked up two new instruments in the past month, I be a player.
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.

Dean Rimmer

texas
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2019 6:23 pm     hudson

same here mike....i switched my pedalsto the right side of the guitar......works fine.....been at it over 50 yrs.

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2019 5:31 am     Thanks Dean....

Thanks Dean, someone suggested switching sides with volume pedal left and pedals operated with the right, but I never quite worked up the courage to try that - glad to hear it worked out for you! Michael
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2019 6:29 am    

4200 steels in 8 years.....holy come home again! That's 525 per year...almost 1 1/2 guitars a day 365 days a year!

Amazing!

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2019 1:07 pm     Day

Ross Shafer wrote:
4200 steels in 8 years.....holy come home again! That's 525 per year...almost 1 1/2 guitars a day 365 days a year!

Amazing!
I can build 5 per day. I have a lot of CNC machines that do a ton of the work. I do work long hours. 12 to 15 Hrs. per day 5 days a week. And sometimes on Saturdays. I get bored doing nothing so I work a lot.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2019 2:11 pm     Re: Day

Jimmie Hudson wrote:
I can build 5 per day. I have a lot of CNC machines that do a ton of the work. I do work long hours. 12 to 15 Hrs. per day 5 days a week. And sometimes on Saturdays. I get bored doing nothing so I work a lot.

Great work ethic Jimmie! You are an inspiration to us all! Thank you for sharing!

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2019 7:27 pm     Re: Day

Jimmie Hudson wrote:
Ross Shafer wrote:

Amazing!

Anything else ross......lol.....

Woody Lambert

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2021 1:48 pm     Update

Hello, stumbled upon your post and wanted to ask if this instrument ever sold.
I have only played lap steel in open g thus far and would like to transition to pedal. I don’t completely understand the changes you made to the electronics in this instrument and I don’t know enough to understand if I would want to move to E9 for a future instrument
Thanks

Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2021 10:00 pm    

Dave is this guitar still for sale? It's been on my mind for a few days. Joe

Jeffery Mercer

Born in Portsmouth Oh. 12/10/1954
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2021 9:55 am     Back to E9th Tuning

Here’s my Offer...If you’ll set it back up to the E9th tuning (meaning pedals and Levers) I’ll purchase this guitar today.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS ASAP, (as I am in the hunt for a new guitar!)
Thanks
Respectfully Yours,
Jeffery S Mercer
Mentor, Ohio

Harold Gilliam

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2021 6:49 pm    

I will take it if is still available.Harold Gilliam. A miss understanding I will not buy it.

Last edited by Harold Gilliam on 23 Mar 2021 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2021 3:07 am    

For what it's worth, I've seen and heard one of these guitars up close and it sounded great. It was one of the E9 6 strings.... Very cool instrument ..

Robbie Bossert

Richard Grasty

DEKALB Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2021 3:14 pm     Dobro Steel

Give 850.00 shipped if still have, its for my son....????