The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Restoration/ Clean up in Texas
Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 3:09 pm    

A few months ago I was helping my Grandaddy clean out some parts of his addict and came across a steel guitar packed away and forgotten about. So the story is, back in The early 70s my grandaddy had met a gentleman named Kenneth Weaver from Granite City, Illinois in St. Louis at Scotty’s. Kenneth build him a beautiful birds eye maple double neck steel guitar. Apparently Ken had played on The Grand Ole Opry for a short time? Anyone ever heard of him? I asked my Grandaddy why he did not continue to play this guitar and he said that one of the KL was knocked out of place and I guess over time it was forgotten about.

Well not anymore, so I wanted to see if any of you guys by chance know anyone around Texas that will restore, and possibly fix a vintage steel. We set the guitar up and it really is pretty, as you can tell in the picture below when he was using it in his “prime“. I think the KL would be a simple fix, and the rest of the guitar probably just needs a little tender loving care. I have never heard it played but several of my granddaddy’s friends who play said that this guitar had a great tone and was built well. I am located in Tyler Texas. Thank you for any direction.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 6:04 pm    

Cameron - Mickey Adams is always a great resource. Since you are in Tyler, it might be worth reaching out to Jim Flynn in Salado. You can contact both through the forum.

Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 9:08 pm    

Thanks, I’ll try and get in contact with one of them ! Smile

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2019 1:20 pm    

Id be happy to take her in...
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!