The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pick Application
Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 1:37 pm    

Gentlemen,

I pose this question to the experts,

I have been playing my SD10 for a year now and nearly on a daily basis. I come from a background of playing six string for 50 yrs. I find I naturally pick block too mute the strings. I notice as with all strings if you pick "Forward" with the thumb pick one tone and you pick the same string backwards with the finger pick a different tone. Thumb to me sounds flatter.

I have been watching the many great players as to their respective hand position and pick application on the strings. I also notice the area's on the thumb pick where the strings have made contact. I see some that are applied straight on and others at an angle.

I am working hard at trying too palm block in conjunction to my pick blocking but I notice a different pick application is required.

I have researched this forum until my key board gets hot with out really getting the full answer. I don't want to reopen discussion on preferred blocking techniques because I have read all the posts in that regard.

Finally the "Question" "What is the preferred angle that the pick should meet the string for the best tone"

Franklin

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2019 4:53 am    

Larry,
Every player sounds different....Why ask anyone for what angle sounds best? Its "Your" decision to make.....Pick from dead center to slightly off center, doesn't matter....At the end of the day, if your ears tell you your tone is not right, there are options to try....Someone posting on a keypad can't know "your" answer nor can they help you decide.

I teach players using this example: Jeff Beck knows every tonal possibility for what he does, so did Buddy.....Sit at your guitar and try it all as they did, They stored every tonal nuance in their muscle memory...Going through exploration processes like this will get you closer than reading a thousand answers here.
Paul

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2019 5:46 am     Re: Pick Application

Larry Ball wrote:
I notice as with all strings if you pick "Forward" with the thumb pick one tone and you pick the same string backwards with the finger pick a different tone. Thumb to me sounds flatter.
As Paul says: we all pick differently and have to figure out for ourselves how to sound in a certain way.

I chose (a long time ago) to use an old, lightly shaped, Blue Herco for when I want a rounder thumb-pick sound, and switch to a shaped steel pick when I want thumb and finger picks to produce the same, a bit sharper, attack sound. Works for me, and the rest is "personal preferences"…

… and lots of practice.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2019 4:56 pm    

Gentleman,

Thx for the response...thank you Paul for taking time from a busy schedule to reply. You have re-enforced my thoughts, I just needed someone experienced on the steel to confirm my thoughts. I would also like to thank you for giving back to the steel guitar community. I have found this forum to be invaluable with the support of “Master” Players like yourself. The steel has taken my breath away and I wish I had started in my twenties.

PS.. Paul I am presently looking at your courses thinking I am at a cross road now and need instruction to take me to the next level.