The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  mastering the volume pedal, Jimmy Day
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 10:18 am    

Buddy's "danny boy" and this song blow me away with the expressive vol. pedal work
https://youtu.be/l350dIR4ehQ

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 1:48 pm    

Yes it's called "Dynamics". Which actually is what todays music LACKS...>therefore there is actually no emotional feelings to be taken out of todays Country Music...NONE!!
Here is a Today's Country song(with video) that to me(yes part producer; and Lloyd Maines Produced the song; but my production is the arrangement of Dynamics in the song) is Dynamic that will move emotions.
Jimmy Day was an extremely Emotional player and I was lucky to have him as my neighbor mentor.

https://youtu.be/2Z77MRjU-IA

Ricky

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 2:20 pm    

Nice work guys! Top Shelf! Yes, you were very lucky to have Jimmy around.Saw him play years ago @bell cove club hendersonville Tn. Yes you were very fortunate for sure!!!

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 2:56 pm    

Yes Joe and also that is why this "Blue Darlin" Pedal Steel was built for me in his memory and why I played the Song Farewell Party at this Steel Guitar Convention; as that was the last song we heard; played by Jimmy Day, as we laid him to rest 20 years ago here in Austin.
https://youtu.be/IqmIKfL_VS4

Ricky

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 4:37 pm    

IMHO, he was the most soulful player that's come along. Nobody, but nobody ever beat Jimmy Day when it came to playing with emotion and expression. (No, not even him.) Cool

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 5:09 pm    

I totally Agree Donny.....just unsurpassed EVER.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 5:15 pm    

The Big "E" said it best....You can't out Jimmy, Jimmy....Steel and Strings, and the black album, two of the all time best PSG albums.

BTW Ricky, good on Blue.

Bill

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 8:31 pm    

Ricky, that tone you pulled out of your blue darlin in the video,was as sweet as I ever heard. Well done sir!

Chris Caruso

Merrimack, NH USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2019 6:18 am    

I happened to be playing bass that day. It certainly was a beautiful sound on Ricky's guitar!

manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2019 7:20 am     Fond Memories of St. Louis!

Hi Chris, I remember seeing you jamming with many of the big pros. Can you tell me what the year was where you played with Ricky Davis?

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2019 9:25 am    

The Whole Steel and Strings album is full of great volume pedal work. I read somewhere that volume pedal expression was one of the big things he was known for.

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2019 11:31 am    

Ricky!! Great playing on Weldon's new song man... That's how it's done right there. Beautiful playing my friend!

Andy

Chris Caruso

Merrimack, NH USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2019 11:48 am    

I think it was around 2006. Maybe Ricky can narrow it down.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2019 1:31 pm    

Hey Chris good to hear from you and yes awesome playing on your part of that show of course. I'm thinking it was before that, maybe in the 2004 area....as I went there also to be with Lloyd Green as he played the convention that year(he introduced "Remember When" that just came out a year before.
But of course I took my "Blue Darlin" Ed Fulawka made for me in memory of Jimmy Day and he invited me to do Farewell party in his memory.
Here's something nobody knows(probably); but I'll share because both Lloyd Green and Jimmy Day where my biggest influences with my professional music life.
I Was at Lloyd's house one day and he sat down and opened up a old picture book and asked: "Ricky do you recognize who's standing next to me as my Best Man at my Wedding?"; I'm like: "OMG that's Jimmy Day"...he said: "yes your are right" then flipped the page and asked: "ok who is that standing next to Jimmy as his best man at his wedding?" I'm like: "OMG Lloyd that is You!!!!".
One of the best days of my Life to see that.
Ricky

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2019 6:21 pm    

Hey Ricky!!! You playing Farewell Party would "Make a glass eye cry"!!!!

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2019 6:53 pm    

Thanks Kevin; what a nice thing to say!!!(well maybe not for the guy with glass eye....ha..).
Ricky

Franklin

Post  Posted 13 Jan 2019 7:10 am    

Hi Everyone,

Listen to Buddy....He always tipped his hat to Jimmy, out of respect, and I add rightfully so....But don't take it literal, Buddy does not take a back seat to anyone when it comes to VP mastery....

I reference this track to showcase mastery of the volume pedal....The reason to study this cut is for 2 issues....Listen to the tonal highs and then to the volume swells as if the strings are breathing out emotion, much like singers do with their volume control...A reality: The more fat the steelers tone, the easier it is to camouflage the attack using a volume pedal.....Buddy's tone from this era was not fat, in fact it was twice as bright as almost everyone's from that period of recordings...So without pumping the pedal as he did here, just touching the strings with a pick would make those dreaded clicks, yet in this track his use of the volume pedal has the listener feeling and not noticing any harshness from clicks. The VP solves that issue.....This track with Buddy is volume pedal mastery second to none.
Paul

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2019 8:07 am    

OH Paul that is so well explained; thank you.
I totally agree. VP has almost everything to do with the expression that comes out of what you just picked. Buddy of course played many different pedal steels through his life, but the incredible amount of emotion and tone and breathing the expression he picked/delivered; came from that Volume pedal. Also; Paul; when we got to start hearing YOU with Vince doing the duo shows; you were displaying some of the most emotional playing I got to hear from you and it was certainly your emotional volume pedal delivery...MASTERFUL my Friend> Thank you.
Ricky