The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Review on Journey To The Beginning - JayDee & Lloyd's new CD
Mike Headrick

South Pittsburg, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 3:45 pm    

Well, the Dallas show is behind me (it was beyond all expectations!) and I’ve finally had a chance to listen to and digest (without a trace of heartburn) the new “Journey To The Beginning” CD. I’ll try to make this short, but I ain’t promisin’ nothin’! Feel free to add your own comments to the post.

My overall impression is that it is nothing short of a treasure to the world of Steel Guitar, just as the two featured players are a precious commodity to us all. Lloyd and JayDee laid down some awesome pickin’ on these songs that will spin some heads around and leave others breathless!

I have heard from players countless times over the years, that the Sweetheart Of The Rodeo album was their introduction to pedal steel. It was a groundbreaking album in many ways, but I can promise you that even today, it still wields it’s influence over a sea of budding musicans and artists. Thank you JayDee and Lloyd, for your contributions to the original recordings and for these magnificent new steel guitar versions.

I can picture each of you sitting comfortably in your easy chair facing your stereo speakers when Lloyd’s intro to “You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere” kicks off the fun! I see your hat flying off and your hair streaming back just like in the old Sony advertisements. Ah! That feels so good to hear these classics again, played with fresh approaches by two of the best steelers on planet Earth.

1. You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere – Dylan’s song never sounded so good! JayDee and Lloyd trade sections and sprinkle signature sounds over the melody like it was stardust. After more J & L than the law allows, Sally takes a tasty Dobro ride and “the guys” trade a couple of sections again. The fireworks finale is a chorus where everybody joins in, playing the unforgettable melody. Well done, lads!

2. I Am A Pilgrim – Sam Bush kicks it with some VERY classic fiddle chop, and you can also hear his mandolin chopping in the background. Lloyd comes in with a tsunami of taste, touch, tone, and talent, reminding us that a simple melody can become a masterpiece when placed in the right hands. JayDee follows him with a brilliant section packed with JayDee-isms. The fiddle takes the middle just a little (ahem) on the bluesy side of lonesome, then JayDee’s back in with some pure Maness magic. They trade sections a couple of times and end as a duo on the last chorus.

3. The Christian Life – Tounge in cheek song choice for The Byrds? Maybe, but Charlie and Ira would be poppin’ their suspenders after hearing this instrumental version of their rural southern country gospel standard. The Louvins had a huge influence on key members of The Byrds(and countless other rock legends). Loads of smooooth, melodic mastery on this one, folks. You’ll love it!

4. You Don’t Miss Your Water – The deep south spiritual feel of this song gave the boys a springboard for some really nice blues steel guitar. The feeling is there in abundance, and this track a welcome change at this point in the record. Nice job, fellas!

5. You’re Still On My Mind – Thi is a special one in my opinion! According to the writer (my good and late friend, Luke McDaniel), Gram Parsons was once asked what inspired him to take an interest in country music. He replied that this song was his main inspiration. That’s a lot of credit to give one song, but Gram did just that. JayDee’s signature intro opens the window into one of the greatest country melodies of all time (IMHO). Both players just slay this country classic which has been recorded by more than a hundred artists. Just fabulous country steel from start to finish.

6. Pretty Boy Floyd – Time to step up the pace with fiddle inspired tune. You Irish and Cajun players won’t be able to sit during this one! Lloyd & JayDee play this number with ease, charm, and grace, each with his own statement of how an up tempo tune like this should be played. Lloyd (especially) seemed to reach back into his archive of original speed pickin’ licks to construct solos reminiscent of his Chart Records days. JayDee took his own approach with solos that reminded me of a few of his outstanding Desert Rose Band creations. Boy Howdy! You’re gonna love it! You’ll love them all.

7. Hickory Wind – Yes! Hallelujah! This has it all. It’s an extremely soulful, mournful ¾ ballad with a gorgeous melody. Put that into the more than capable hands of these two steel guitar virtuosos and it’s a no fail recipe for a timeless winner! Gram was probably inspired by “A Satisfied Mind” when he wrote it, but just enough to to give it the ability to reach into your soul and bring out a tear. There are no better players on Earth to take on the beauty of this song than JayDee Maness and Lloyd Green. Can I get a witness?

8. One Hundred Years From Now – Form my observation, this is probable one of Gram’s least covered originals. It has kind of a tricky melody and it takes more than one listen to grab ya. The most memorable aspects of the original Byrd’s recording (for me, at least) was Lloyd’s intro, turnaround, and outro (not to take anything away from the fantastic Clarence White B-Bender stuff). Lloyd captures the spirit of his original contributions to the recording, while offering up plenty of new steel guitar “ear candy”. Yes, his famous ascending staccato run is in there, too! JayDee actually kick it off, then they alternate sections executing some mighty fine playing! They also alternate on the ending with the signature 1, 7b, 4 lick fading out into the sunset.

9. Blue Canadian Rockies – A Cindy Walker classic with a cowboy melody, this tune lends itself very well to some nostalgic steel guitar sounds. Eugene Moles takes the intro on B-Bender then hands it over to Lloyd, who alternates with JayDee up to the B-Bender turnaround. Loyd plays another section and they both join in for the ending. Beautiful!

10 Life In Prison - Another of my favorite country songs gets the Maness / Green treatment. JayDee played the intro on the Byrds’ original, and he does on this version as well. This is honky tonkin’ steel at it’s best! I also love the Pig style piano and the Burton style guitar in the mid section solos. Both players exhibit an authentic, natural feel for this and every song on the CD. It’s just amazing to here these songs spring back with new life breathed into them by the two steel guitars who added so much magic to the originals!

11. Nothing Was Delivered – Bob Dylan;’s song never sounded so good. Cut 4/4 with a walking bass, it’s sure to be a pick by a lot of steelers. It starts with a slow mournful a cappella intro by Lloyd, using wide harmony spreads. Then the full band kicks in with JayDee playing the aptly verse. Lloyd pciks up the chorus at the 6 minor and they alternate through the rest of the tune. Love the treatment!

12. You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere - Yeah, I know…this is where we started. This has vocals on it, though. An array of heavy weight artists trade sections on this version. Jim Lauderdale, Herb Pederson, Richie Furay, and Jeff Hanna all furnish lead vocals as JayDee and Lloyd fill behind them. I think this is an excellent way to finish off the CD, as it makes the tie between strings and vocal cords.

The band is killer-Russ Pahl on acoustic, Dennis Crouch on bass, John Gardner on drums, Al Perkins on b bender electric, Eugene Moles on electric, Earl Poole Ball, Skip Edwards and Pete Wasner on keys, Sally Vam Meter on Dobro and Sam Bush on mandolin and fiddle. I can appreciate that many of the people chosen to work on this project have roots and ties to the country rock scene. It was recorded at Cinderella Studio, owned by Wayne Moss. Wayne was a founding member of Barefoot Jerry, Nashville's entry into the country rock movement. You may recognize some other names familiar to C.R. fans.

The release date is April 1st, but co-producer John Macy has it for sale on his record label site. You need it! You know you want it, so click this lick and get ya one!

www.coastalbendmusic.com

Last edited by Mike Headrick on 1 Apr 2018 8:29 am; edited 5 times in total

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 4:08 pm    

Gotta check this out!

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 4:45 pm     Review

You will not know what you are missing until you get the CD and absorb it. Finest picking you will ever hear!!!!

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 5:36 pm    

Just ordered it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 6:14 pm    

Ordered

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 6:47 pm    

Thanks for the excellent review, Mike (and for letting us share some booth space at the Dallas Show)! It was an amazing honor to get to produce this record and release it on my label. Jay Dee approached me the year before in Dallas with the idea to make this record, and Lloyd jumped onboard and off we went. The band is killer-Russ Pahl on acoustic, Dennis Crouch on bass, John Gardner on drums, Al Perkins on b bender electric, Eugene Moles on electric, Earl Poole Ball, Skip Edwards and Pete Wasner on keys, Sally Vam Meter on dobro and Sam Bush on mandolin and fiddle.

The Special Record Store Day vinyl comes out on April 21st (Lloyd and Jay Dee will be playing a special set at Grimeys Records in Nashville that day, and a release show at the Station Inn at 4:00pm on the 22nd).

Don’t miss this one!

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 8:08 pm    

Excellent review Mike. I enjoyed very much. I liked the history also. I had got my copy earlier this week and made a post under mtulbert's post. It is the greatest steel guitar CD I have ever had and I have a bunch of them. Again may I say John did and outstanding job of recording, the sound is just awesome. Folks, you need to order this now, you will not regret it. J.R. Rose

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 5:40 am    

A little history sidebar-we recorded the record at Cinderella Sound in Madison, TN. It is the longest running independent studio independent studio in Nashville, opened by guitarist Wayne Miss in 1961. In addition to lots of hits being recorded there, the Buddy Emmons Black album was done there along with all the Area Code 615 and Barefoot Jerry records.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 5:47 am    

I got one of the “EARLY” release CD’s... this is as good as it gets... there are definitely a lot of head turning, ear pricking moments on this CD... It is Excellent!!!
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 6:12 am    

This is a great review, Mike...and 100% correct. Since I got the album, I have probably listened a hundred times and still discover something different every time. Smile

Kind Regards, Walter

Mike Headrick

South Pittsburg, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 1:55 pm    

Thank you Walter, and thanks to all who have commented on the CD (and the review). I know that many of you are ordering the CD and withholding your comments until after you receive it. That's just fine, but your comments now will help us keep this thread more viable.

Larry McFall

Huntsville,Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 3:10 pm     Right on the money Mike!

Your take Mike on the new CD was right on the mark. Lloyd and Jay Dee knocked this one out of the ball park. I went up to Nashville on Wednesday, March 28, 2018 and that “Journey To The Beginning” kept me company all the way and all the way back. That CD is most certainly a sweetheart and will be my travel companion for a good long time.

What wonderful sounds has been produced on this Tribute To The Byrds. It is indeed sounds that ever Steel Guitar lover will want to listen to and cherish far in the future.

My gratitude to Lloyd Green and Jay Dee Maness for tackling this project and bringing it back alive and well after so many years ago. Thank You!

Mike Headrick

South Pittsburg, TN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 6:51 am    

Up

Roy Heap

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2018 2:56 am    

What more can be said that Mike hasn't . It's a terrific album.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2018 8:26 am    

I got my copy yesterday, and have only had a chance to listen once. But it really is as good as you guys say it is! Some of the duets reminded me a little of the Allman Brothers' "Jessica", though of course it's a completely different style.

--Al Evans

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2018 3:08 pm    

I wonder if Roger has heard the recording, would like to heard his opinion, I asked him about the original album years ago and he said was a big Lloyd fan. I'm looking forward to hearing the new CD. What a great review Mike, I already love it just from your descriptions of each song, Bravo!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 4:41 pm    

Great CD and Lloyd and Jay Dee are still at the top of their abilities. This CD is simply stunning.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 9:21 am    

In the midst of reading David N. Meyer's biographical book about Gram Parsons "Twenty Thousand Roads". For the "Sweatheart of The Rodeo" LA sessions Jay Dee Maness was brought in on Pedal Steel and he's quoted in the book,

"But I learned something important from that record: that steel guitar can fit into any kind of music, if it's allowed".

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 2:47 pm    

This album is everything that we could of hoped for. Just got a vinyl copy in at the store (Amoeba Music) and we've got an order in for more copies.

The playing is absolutely gorgeous. I thought I had a pretty good idea in my mind as to how Lloyd plays and how JayDee plays, but often it sounded like it could be either one of them. It's amazing how well matched they are. There's no questionable notes here. Every idea is perfectly executed and amazingly in tune, especially considering all the open string and unison licks that these masters play. John Macy, kudos to you for an excellent job of getting their great tone down on tape (or digital). Lloyd and JayDee, bravo!

I need to get a CD now to play in the car, where I do my best listening.

Joe

Joseph van der Eijk

Netherlands
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 1:32 am    

Yes, great CD.
But, does anyone know if the backing tracks for this CD are available? And if, how to get / order them?

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 11:16 am    

Where can I get the CD of this album?

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 1:42 pm    

John... go to the link for Coastal Bend Music in the first post, and click on 'Store'.
You'll find it there...

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 3:40 pm    

Thanks Skip

Larry McFall

Huntsville,Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2019 9:12 am     Solutions for assorted Steel Guitar problems.

I bet that if you was to ask Mike Headrick (i.e., Mike Headrick Products - steelfodder@aol.com - 1-423-364-9061) on getting a recorded product in respect to your question, he would have it or, point you the correct direction to get it.
Played the Steel from 1948. Have had the opportunity to play a multitude of Military venues considering I spent over 32 years with the U.S. Army. Got to play in many foreign countries which was fantastic. Married to the same woman for more than 57 years. Have children, all of them served in the military. 7 Grandchildren.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2019 2:14 pm    

I bought it as a digital download on Google Play