The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons 13 secret’s for sound
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 4:54 am    

John a spruce top that’s interesting, I once made a pedal steel With Mahogany it sounded dark no sparkle. I guess good old American maple is a good choice for pedal steel. I do think the The thin maple cabinet top front an back was for sound purposes on Emmons guitars. The old Sho Bud cabinet
Is nearly a full quarter in thicker than Emmons cabinet.
My Franklin has about the same thickness cabinet as Emmons.
I think GFI has a Aluminum frame front an back an die board for top sound board an a lot of pro players get a very good sound from GFI steels.
When some of our top Pro players could have any steel for free but choose to play a Fifty year old Emmons with mechanical limitations that speaks volumes to me.

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 5:27 am    

once on the forum, Buddy told of the choices he'd made and why. he wanted a small body and one-half inch wood to cut weight and formica covering so his cigarettes wouldn't burn it. i don't remember about why he wanted push-pull but said he wanted the v emblem because he smoked viceroys. it seemed from the his telling that most choices were just practical and weight reduction ideas. oh and aluminum necks because his bigsby had them. serendipity kicked in and you get a great sounding guitar.

Last edited by Gary Spaeth on 11 Jan 2019 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 6:40 am    

Johnie King wrote:
When some of our top Pro players could have any steel for free but choose to play a Fifty year old Emmons with mechanical limitations that speaks volumes to me.

Agree wholeheartedly. If those old clunkers are good enough for Jay Dee, they're good enough for me.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 6:57 am    

Tyler Hall wrote:
True... but the pickup is attached to the neck, not the body. So, wouldn't attaching it tightly killsr resonance but also put more resonance into the neck? That's just my theory. Tightening the neck doesn't make sense but it sure brought my '68 to life. It made a tremendous difference in the overtones and harmonics.

I’m pretty sure the pickup is attached to the body of the guitar.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 10:37 am    

Gary Spaeth wrote:
once on the forum buddy told of the choices he'd made and why. he wanted a small body and one-half inch wood to cut weight and formica covering so his cigarettes wouldn't burn it. i don't remember about why he wanted push-pull but said he wanted the v emblem because he smoked viceroys. it seemed from the his telling that most choices were just practical and weight reduction ideas. oh and aluminum necks because his bigsby had them. serendipity kicked in and you get a great sounding guitar.

A Forum "Buddy"?

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 10:39 am    

Here's a question...

Has anyone ever tried to put an all-pull changer in a push/pull cabinet? Of course I know that no a/p changer would drop right in – you'd have to modify the changer at the very least, maybe the cabinet as well depending on one's approach, and modify or change the endplate – but has it ever been done? If so, what was the result?

I know I said earlier that the changer finger contact is not the secret sauce...but I'm thinking perhaps there are other factors found at the changer that might have an effect.

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 11:41 am    

Lee Baucum wrote:
Gary Spaeth wrote:
once on the forum buddy told of the choices he'd made and why. he wanted a small body and one-half inch wood to cut weight and formica covering so his cigarettes wouldn't burn it. i don't remember about why he wanted push-pull but said he wanted the v emblem because he smoked viceroys. it seemed from the his telling that most choices were just practical and weight reduction ideas. oh and aluminum necks because his bigsby had them. serendipity kicked in and you get a great sounding guitar.

A Forum "Buddy"?

edited for clarity. sorry

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 12:05 pm    

we need some input from the designer.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1744874&highlight=#1744874

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 1:55 pm    

Thanks Gary that was a great piece of history an thank you Bob for the Steel Forum that we can go back years of history an see for ourselves what the Giants of pedal steel have to say.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 2:02 pm    

Thanks Gary

Last edited by Johnie King on 11 Jan 2019 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 3:14 pm    

another good one from the man
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=76570&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Last edited by Gary Spaeth on 12 Jan 2019 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 9:36 pm    

Paul Franklin’s posted reply is correct. My dad assembled many original push pull Emmons guitars from crate parts, 2 of which were my personal guitars. While watching dad assemble these guitars, there was not an “Aha” moment through the entire process that led us to believe there was some secret until we plugged it in. I believe it to be the entire idea and initiative to make the guitar compact, lighter and more efficient was and is the reason for the Emmons push pull tone. My Mullen guitars and Franklin guitars fit that bill. I spent an entire day with Paul recently, listening to him and his Franklin steel, incredible tone and sustain. I also believe beauty is in the hands and ears of the beholder.😊

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2019 6:36 am    

13 Secrets?

1.Practice
2.Practice
3.Practice
4.Practice
5.Practice
6.Practice
7.Practice
8.Practice