The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Live recording with Ipad
JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 7:02 am    

What Ipad should I get for live recording with pretty good sound on play back, maybe around $ 250.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 7:52 am    

I don't think you can get an "iPad" for $250 (new). More like $400 to $500 range.

You can get Android for $250 or even less. I have no experience with Android's so I can't comment on their recording capabilities.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 8:04 am    

If you don't think you need bleeding edge, I've bought several macs from these guys:
https://www.macofalltrades.com/shop/ipads/?sort=priceasc

They've been great. I had one issue with a Mac Pro that didn't deliver with the right amount of memory installed, they over-nighted the correct memory and told me to 'Just keep the wrong memory.. no worry.'

I bought an iPad Air 2 64GB last year for 299.00 and it's actually got fairly decent onboard audio playback quality, considerably better than my Android Tab 4. I can't comment on what recording programs they have but no doubt there are a lot of options. I only bought it to run this program:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/main/home.html

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 12:38 pm    

Garage Band is probably the most popular Apple recording program. Its not included with an iPad or iPhone but I think it is with an Apple PC.

I have a new 9.7" iPad. It replaced an old one that was no longer supported (iOS9 was the last OS for the old one).

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 1:54 pm    

iphones and iPads make pretty good recordings with there video camera or voice memo feature. If you want stereo and a better sound you will need some sort of interface, mics and recording app. I use a Zoom U-24 for an interface along with an iPad.

For remote recordings I really like the Zoom H6. Has everything you need to record. Very good mics, pre amps and converters built in. The Zoom H2 is about $140 new and is astonishing sounding. That would be the ticket if you don't want more than 2 tracks.

Record with the Zoom then dump it into your computer. Cheap, easy and sounds great.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 7:00 am    

+1 on the Zoom handy recorders, I have an H4, and I agree with Bob. If you just want to record live to stereo, they work great.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 8:45 am    

Jerry, what Bob H said. I have owned a similar Tascam hand-held for years for the same uses. It has good Mics and good Electronics.

Bill, thanks for the tip on the refurb Apples. It might be something for me to look into next year.

Cool

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 1:46 am    

for ease of use and quality, the ZOOM people own the market !

If a simple stereo recording is what you need , the H2 cannot be beat.

If you need more, then the next generation models will fit your needs.

These are not meant to be HOME Studio's, they have a purpose which is portability, ease of use and quality results.

I have owned an H2 for maybe 8 or 10 years now. I record almost every gig . No I don't save them all, but I scan them for the music and the performances.

I am currently recording each of our bi- monthly gigs with the H2 , once I get 12-15 "almost fault free" tunes with a reasonable stage mix, we will make 2 x 6 song CD's and sell them at our shows ! Remember I am just plopping it down in front of the bandstand. No fuss or planning required, just good batteries ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

George Acevedo

Redwood City, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 2:24 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
Garage Band is probably the most popular Apple recording program. Its not included with an iPad or iPhone but I think it is with an Apple PC.

I have a new 9.7" iPad. It replaced an old one that was no longer supported (iOS9 was the last OS for the old one).

I am a trainer for Apple and I can tell you that GarageBand has been free with any Apple device (iPad, iPhone & Mac) for the last 3 years. It just doesn't always come preinstalled, you have to go to the App store and download and install it.

Also, the sound quality is good with any iPad you buy (except for the built in speakers).

A couple of things to watch out for: if you use a lot of tracks in GarageBand, the file sizes increase and will take up more storage. Also, the new iPad Pro (both sizes) now use a different connector, USB-C instead of Lightning. I just bought myself a new one and I had to buy new adapters for my headphones and digital converter.

JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 2:30 pm    

Thanks for all the help guys, I ended up getting Apple 4 I pad an i am very happy with it, it does all that I wanted to very well.

Ed Pettersen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 2:31 pm    

I just got an iPad mini refurb latest version for $360. if I recall correctly. But my old iPad mini (v.1) worked fine just didn't have enough hard drive space once apps were on there. I use the Apogee iMic into the free Rode recording app on the road. Works great but the cheaper direct and mic input models by the people who run Amplitube (?) are great too (you can get them for like $30 off Amazon I think). Can't remember what they're called. Good luck!