The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Suggestion for a spare vertical lever
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2019 4:09 pm    

My Williams keyless has two vertical levers. The one on the left is the X lever B to Bd. The other vertical is over pedals 4-5-6-7. I have tried a few different pulls but it has been vacant for some time. Any suggestions?

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2019 4:49 pm    

I would suggest B-to-C, which is basically the F-lever of the B6th tuning.
Or maybe a duplicate of the B-pedal, which in B6th mode changes your open 6th chord to a 7th.
What does LKL2 do?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2019 5:14 pm    

Can you post your copedent, Len?

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2019 5:38 pm    

Here is my copedent except the 1st vertical lever that raised strings 1&7 to F# to G became the X lever and now trying to think of a useful change for the 2nd vertical.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2019 7:40 pm    

I'm with Pete Burak. Raise string 5 B to C. It's a very standard C6th lever change (C to C#).

Chuck Hamilton

Flower Mound, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2019 7:53 pm    

Unfortunately raising B to C is probably not an option because the changer only allows 3 raises per string, and they are already all used: pedals A, C and 7. This is my main beef with most universals. ThatÒ€ℒs an important change to me. So the next best option IMHO is to raise the G# strings to A to make a Dom7th open with Es lowered. Easier than trying to hit the B pedal when you are playing in B6 mode.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2019 10:27 pm    

Another option would be string 6 G# to G, similar to the C6th A to Ab. I've found this to be most useful in minor key jazz progressions, and also for augmented chords. I have it on a vertical on my guitar.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2019 1:12 am    

The A# shown on your copedent is a basic B6 change. With P5&6 it gives a 7th chord one fret up, same as raising G# to A but a more interesting voicing - the classic way when C6 had only one lever. I'd keep it that way.

The Williams is limited for changes if you want a uni set up. I love mine but my Excel does more with 7 up and 4 down.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2019 6:47 am    

Just thinking out loud now (sorry Len!)...
If you go with B-to-C, and your into blues-ee sounding stuff, I like to go up 3 frets from open (just like the F-lever on E9th), and I call that "Robert Randolph land" Smile. It is a huge 7th chord, and pentatonic arppegios and blues licks are easy to access.
Mechanically, you need to use the tandem-rod "extra-raise" method, if you don't have 4-raises (it's easy on my Sierra so I would think it's do-able on a Willy).

If you have the hardware, you can quickly rod-up string-6 G#-to-A.
If you are playing in G at the 8th fret with E's lowered, two frets up with LKV2+P6 is your 2-minor chord... release the LKV2 and that's your 5(7th).
ii-V-I is a very common jazzy sound, not to mention all the other minor chord possibilities in 6th mode.
I use it all the time for stuff like, I-ii-iii-IV (going either direction, this is Do-re-me-FA).
With LKL2+P6 all your minor chords are in the same place they would be on guitar, like when you play a G-Barre chord on guitar at fret-3, then move up two frets to an Am, two more frets up to Bm, etc.

I look at D10 copedant ideas for S12U all the time, but keep coming back to the Buddy Emmons copedant posted in b0b's Links.

The G#-to-G idea is a good one also, although I use it more in E9th than B6th, where I mainly use it to make E9th open chords a minor chord... and again they are in the same place as they would be on guitar (like fret-3 G-barre chord changed to fret-3 Gm-barre chord).
The most common place I use currently G#-to-G on B6th is the third and fourth vocal line of the song Mr.Sandman.

fyi, I was a guitar player before I played Steel, so I like to double-down on exisitng knowledge whenever I can.
Also, You need to be able to engage your Verticle levers along with various Pedals, so if they are not low enough, I modify them then so it is super easy to engage the verticle in conjuction with a pedal.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2019 8:41 am    

The easiest change to do is what b0b recommended G# to G on the 6th string. I'll work with that for a bit and get a feel for it. I have been using the basic Jeff Newman setup for quite a while and feel comfortable with it. This is how my new Sierra is set up with one vertical B to Bd on the 5th string.

I thought as long as I had the spare vertical on the Williams I might as well find a use for it.

Thanks for all the input....Smile

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2019 2:09 pm    

Well, what should have been a 15 minute change turned into 3 hours. I dropped a rod spacer into the changer. I had to remove all the hex nuts and half the rods to get it out. Should have put a piece of cardboard under the bottom row of hex nuts when the guitar is upside down.

Consider this a public service message Oh Well

Anyway, the 6th string is now G# to G. Pretty cool!