| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Red Rhodes live performances
Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2019 7:09 am    

Joe, thanks for uploading the video, the more Red the better!

Not to add fuel to the fire but here is the part of the Country Music People interview in question for full disclosure. I don't understand why Buddy would be down on Red or Pete Drake, perhaps it's an in joke, who knows? It does follow some questioning on the Emmons Guitar company so maybe Buddy was feeling uptight. The remarks are nonsensical really, and we'll probably never know the reasons behind them, whether personal or professional. I can only think that he hadn't heard Red at his best at the time or there was something else clouding his judgement. Confused

[/img]
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2019 11:33 pm    

I spent quite a bit of time with Red at the shop on Cahuenga. One of the coolest things he did was a special rewiring of his pickups. He would play thru 2 amps, and the p/u was wired so the even numbered strings came out of one amp, and the odd numbered strings came out of the other.
It was pretty wild...
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 1:36 am    

Alan,I used to know a guy in Texas who would say"He can't play or He can't play a note" when complimenting some player who was a "Badass" I'm pretty sure that was what Buddy meant?
Desert Rose S-10 4+5,GFI D-10 8+5 Mullen G2D-10 8+5 Carter D-10 8+5,Blanton SD -10 any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese toys continously since the mid 50's.Peavey Nashville 112,and LTD ,Sho-Bud Bill Groner Bars.Christmas tree amp.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 1:38 am    

Thanks Joe,This is really Great!!
Desert Rose S-10 4+5,GFI D-10 8+5 Mullen G2D-10 8+5 Carter D-10 8+5,Blanton SD -10 any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese toys continously since the mid 50's.Peavey Nashville 112,and LTD ,Sho-Bud Bill Groner Bars.Christmas tree amp.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 7:01 am    

Wow,Buddy really didn't care for Red's playing now that I've read what he said.
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 7:35 am    

There's no way to interpret what Buddy said any differently.

Saying things like this about other famous, successful players?
"technically he doesn't make it and I don't know how in hell he ever did it"
"Red is just a pale echo of people like Jay Dee, Jimmy Day and myself"

Talk about ego and lack of class. Mad

I'm not the world's biggest Pete Drake fan, but I'll defend his innovations to the instrument and point out his tremendous studio success as a producer.

As for Red, beyond amazing, innovative, psychedelic solos, we all know the tremendous amount of innovation he made to the instrument and associated electronics (amps, pickups), not to mention the genuine good heart he was known for. Further - he played with emotion and heart - and is the sole reason I took up playing pedal steel. I grew up on all the West Coast guys - Bobby, Sneaky, Jay Dee, Rusty - but RED is the reason I wanted to play. That says something about his talent, in my opinion.
Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 8:34 am    

Joe, I would be very surprised if anyone would defend Buddy's remarks today. It's really difficult to see where he was coming from, especially the implication that Red was merely an imitator rather than innovator.

The interview was conducted in 1971, arguably before Red's recorded musical peak, but even so, Red had long been an established and distinguished player in his own right. Musicians tended to be more unguarded and forthright in interviews back then – one can only guess at Buddy's motivations or what he might have been on that day(!).

Sadly it wouldn't be the first or last time a talented musical genius had said something egotistical or wrongheaded in an interview. I wouldn't take it too seriously and I hope that minor historical spat hasn't taken away from your original post in any way. Red's individuality and brilliance is evident in your video and his recorded works and fully stands the test of time.
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 9:25 am    

Jonathan Shacklock wrote:
Joe, I would be very surprised if anyone would defend Buddy's remarks today. It's really difficult to see where he was coming from, especially the implication that Red was merely an imitator rather than innovator.

The interview was conducted in 1971, arguably before Red's recorded musical peak, but even so, Red had long been an established and distinguished player in his own right. Musicians tended to be more unguarded and forthright in interviews back then – one can only guess at Buddy's motivations or what he might have been on that day(!).

Sadly it wouldn't be the first or last time a talented musical genius had said something egotistical or wrongheaded in an interview. I wouldn't take it too seriously and I hope that minor historical spat hasn't taken away from your original post in any way. Red's individuality and brilliance is evident in your video and his recorded works and fully stands the test of time.

Very well said and I agree on all points Smile

And let me further the original request - does anyone have any audio/video of Red playing live that they would be willing to share? Smile
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 10:05 am    

I knew Red pretty well ,and he was hysterical always had a bunch of jokes,fixed my crap and was a friend,I always loved his playing and his sense of humor...I have no idea of why Buddy said that stuff in print?
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 1:47 pm    

Digging up bones doesn't do service to anyone. LET IT GO. All that can happen here is an (unnecessary) exchange of opinions since all the parties in question have passed away and can't speak in their own defense.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 3:15 am    

Barry,Yes,Thanks for you insight.
Marty Broussard

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 7:58 pm    

Thanks for this topic. I’ve been wanting to hear Red play. Now I’ll look for his copedant.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2019 10:43 am     Recordings

Hi, I’m pretty sure I sent you tapes back then. I had at least two different shows recorded. I transferred those to CD later but listening to the CD now-it sucks. There’s all sorts of pops and clicks. I’ll see if I can dig up the tapes and try to transcribe them to an MP3. In the meantime I have a Minidisc recording I traded for from the 1985 ISGC show which is a good and his playing seems better to me than the later shows. I’m also going to transfer that and post a link. He plays Sheffield Steel on that set which he didn’t play much later.
Ok, I uploaded the 1985 show to my Dropbox. E-mail me and I’ll send you a link. The tunes are: Mr Sandman, Sunrise Serenade, World is waiting for sunrise, Slow Boat To China, Crazy, Sheffield Steel, Laura, Faded Love, Ipanema.