The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Legend reviews????
Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 4:02 pm    

I am looking to buy a new guitar. I never had anything new. I really like the engineering of MSA’s legend.
Anybody out there who played a few guitars enough to give a good comparison of others. I have an Emmons pushpull that is absolutely the best guitar I’ve ever owned for tone, sustain, and it stays it tune better than any guitar built. But of coarse it has limitations such as clunky, heavy, and is limited to any complex setups. I was really wanting a Legrand III but Emmons of coarse does not build guitars anymore.
I played a MSA millennium few years ago and it sounded kinda dark to me but coulda been the pickup idk.

Also. Does MSA legends have a counterforce type device to counteract cabinet drop

Jordan Beyer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 4:50 pm    

Get ahold with Mickey Adam's on the forum. He's a great guy and can tell you anything you need to know about MSA guitars

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 4:53 pm    

Once you have owned a very well set up push pull your spoiled. Nothing compares just my opinion. The MSA steel are some of the best looking well made steels these days.

Last edited by Johnie King on 4 Jan 2019 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 4:59 pm    

Double post

Last edited by Johnie King on 4 Jan 2019 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 5:35 pm    

Another vote to contact Mickey. He has owned and played most, if not all major brands, and will give you a stand up answer. Let’s keep this on track with opinions from people who have actually played a new MSA and have first hand experience to pass along.

Last edited by Roger Crawford on 4 Jan 2019 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 7:52 pm    

You know what they say, variety is the spice of life.Nothing says you can't enjoy having two great guitars.

I've owned a handful of guitars over the years and I can say without a doubt that my MSA legend XL SD10 4x5 705's is by far the best guitar of all I owned.

This may sound like a small item but I think all steel players have wished builders would build a guitar they didn't have to press like heck at the first fret to quite string buzzing. Well MSA has. I can just barely touch the bar and there is none.

The guitars literally look like they came out of a mold the fit is that tight.

The new MSA's are not like the one's we all remember from years ago. They use a different wood now and these guitar's have a bright,clean open tone with no hot spots up and down the neck.

Go to the website and check out all the features for yourself.

Mickey Adams has demo'd them on his Youtube channel and that should help give you an idea on the tone question.

I really think once you do some homework,you find these are not MSA's you remember from years ago.

You can also go to my Facebook page (Dicky Wood) and listen to many videos where I was live streaming.I'm using a Quilter Amp and not micing the amp so it's just as the ipad picked it up.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 8:05 pm    

I have an MSA Millennium, a Legend, and a Studio Pro, and I sound like "me" on all of them. The Milly and Legend are around 10 years old, and the Studio Pro is about 8 years old and they all still play and sound great. I have several pickups to switch around, but I usually leave an Alumitone on the E9th neck and whatever is handy for the C6th. The differences in any of the modern pickups is very subtle. I think I still have a couple of videos up on Youtube playing my Legend.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 9:39 pm     Great Guitars.

I’ve played an Emmons LeGrande II for the last “13” yrs. it will be my last Pedal Steel. However, I sat down to Mickey Adams MSA at the Dallas Steel Show, played it thru a Telonics amp, the sound was fantastic, the pulls were on the money and no complaints about MSA. If I could afford a new steel, MSA would certainly be a contender.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 7:38 am    

My detailed MSA Legend review:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Msa/msa.html

There's a lot of detailed pictures if you click the links on the top left side of the page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 8:24 am    

I have a 7 year old Bb6 Studio Pro, and the only thing I’d ever change it for, for my purposes anyway, is a new Legend

MSA all the way for me

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 10:03 am    

I really like your MSA tone on this FB vid, Dicky Wood!
Darn, now I want one.
Can you tell us what your rig consists of (VP, effects, amps, cords, etc). Smile
That is a great looking Steel!
https://www.facebook.com/dicky.wood/videos/2055392694517383/

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 3:14 pm    

Dick Wood wrote:
You know what they say, variety is the spice of life.Nothing says you can't enjoy having two great guitars.

I've owned a handful of guitars over the years and I can say without a doubt that my MSA legend XL SD10 4x5 705's is by far the best guitar of all I owned.

This may sound like a small item but I think all steel players have wished builders would build a guitar they didn't have to press like heck at the first fret to quite string buzzing. Well MSA has. I can just barely touch the bar and there is none.

The guitars literally look like they came out of a mold the fit is that tight.

The new MSA's are not like the one's we all remember from years ago. They use a different wood now and these guitar's have a bright,clean open tone with no hot spots up and down the neck.

Go to the website and check out all the features for yourself.

Mickey Adams has demo'd them on his Youtube channel and that should help give you an idea on the tone question.

I really think once you do some homework,you find these are not MSA's you remember from years ago.

You can also go to my Facebook page (Dicky Wood) and listen to many videos where I was live streaming.I'm using a Quilter Amp and not micing the amp so it's just as the ipad picked it up.

What Dicky said.

This is NOT your Daddy’s old MSA... These are so balanced tone wise up and down the neck... No Dead Spots, No Hot Spots, ONLY Sweet spots. I liked my 1st one so much I ordered another new one less than a year later, and am thinking about a third . Don’t think you can go wrong with these new MSA’s... Best I’ve played, and I’ve owned of few other brands.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 3:59 pm    

Thanks for the very nice compliment Pete. I have been using a Quilter Steelaire for three years and like it a bunch.I use the onboard reverb and a delay pedal with just a hint of delay. The MSA is an SD10 Tobacco Burst Legend XL 4x5, a wood neck w/705 pups and I also just started using the Goodrich Omni pedal.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 6:03 am    

I would rely more on opinions from people like Dale than from someone that works for the company.

Think back to when the said person worked for another steel manufacturer. They were the best then.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 7:50 am    

Bill,
I agree with you 100% about not asking for an opinion from someone who works for the company. The obvious incentive to promote the product could influence the response.

In this case, the OP is asking for comparisons, and some tech advice. . I think Mickey would state his opinions honestly regarding comparisons, as he’s done so with me while in his current relationship with MSA.

Again, I strongly agree with you regarding asking opinions of a product from someone with a relationship to the builder. I think it’s a bad idea. Just mentioning my experiences with Mickey.

If I wanted advice on any of the fine products you sell, I’d call you without reservation. I’d still recognize your relationship to the product, but your reputation would be enough to value your input.

Last edited by Steve Spitz on 6 Jan 2019 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 8:00 am    

I agree and thank you Steve.

A new steel is such an investment that i think owners opinions are the most valuable.

I meant nothing against Mickey and value his opinion and friendship.

I just feel that for something as important as a steel that owner opinions are the best.

And i only sell what i believe in. I don't swap around based on where i can make the most money.
I said when i first became a George Ls dealer that i would not be controlled.

That philosophy has cost me some deals with other companies.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 12:09 pm    

Don't know if MSA fixed the problem on other models, but on my Millennium (one of the first ones made), if you lower the pickups too far (3/16"-1/4" string-to-pickup) they will no longer slide out.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 6:34 pm    

Donny, I had the same issue with my Millenium, but it appears to be a non-issue on the Legend.

Ben, I don’t find the Legend to be Dark, but I didn’t consider my Millenium ( with Telonics pickups ) to be Dark, Either. I went back and listened to some old shows, and it seemed to sit well in the mix. I hope that helps, as I’ve drifted off topic on this post, sorry.

I think I could EQ the amp settings to get where I needed to go with either,

Scott A. Anderson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 6:36 pm    

Hi Ben
I played a couple MSA's back in the 80's when I first started playing. I thought they were built like a tank and played very well, however the tone wasn't what I was looking for. Went on to play a couple of Sho-Buds, a couple of Pre RPs and finally landed a sweet deal on an Emmons LGII that I fell in love with. It has a killer tone. My go-to guitar for years UNTIL I caught wind of the new generation MSAs.
I did some research and met the guys at MSA and they were some of the nicest guys I'd ever met. Talked my steel guitar ears off. AND NOT sales pitch. Just honesty.
I purchased a 2010 Studio Pro that is by far the best steel I have ever owned! The tone is killer but a little different from the Emmons. That's where the similarities stop. The MSA blows the Emmons away on action and smoothness and ease of play. The innovations are endless. The quick change pickups, adjustable from your seat pedal rods, lighted fretboards, easy adjustable knee levers are just a couple. I wish I had discovered the new gen MSAs earlier. I like the Studio Pro so well, I've got a new 2019 Legend on order and is in the later stages of completion. Looking forward to it. It has many more upgrades than even the 2010 Studio Pro has.
Here's a link to the latest info on the 2019 Legend features.
Everything you'd wanna know....There's no counterforce device Ben.

https://msapedalsteels.com/guitar-features

You cannot go wrong with the new MSAs. That's my opinion. Smile
2019 MSA Legend 9&9 BL705/Telonics X10 - 2010 MSA Studio Pro 9&9 BL 710s - 1995 Emmons LeGrande II D10 8&8 - E-66's - 1976 Emmons Split Tail PP - Clay Alden 15k SW - Hilton and Goodrich Volume Pedals - Evans FET 500 - Peavey Session 400 - Quilter Tone Block 202 w/Travis Toy Signature 12 and 15 Speakers/Cabinets - Profex II and ART Multiverb Alpha

https://www.msapedalsteels.com

https://soundcloud.com/scott-anderson-42
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBluesteelguy

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 10:10 pm    

MSA made the 1st Legend for me in the early 2000's when I asked about building another wood body guitar when the Millennium was still being made. I introduced Kyle to my good friend Mark Giles and the result was and still is fantastic. I recently purchased another and could not be more pleased.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 4:17 am    

I have 2 Millies, which have the same undercarriage as the legends. Suffice to say, I'm very happy.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 6:57 am    

I got my Legend not long after Jim got his first one, and it was and still is a great guitar. I was thinking about buying a Millennium, but after I saw Jim's Legend I decided that's what I wanted. Johnny Cox was working for MSA at that time and he set it up nearly perfectly. I had to only make a few minor tweaks and it's still the same today. Actually it is set up in my office/music room right now and I play it a little now and then. I have a red burst Gibson ES-137 that is about the prettiest guitar I've ever owned and I sent Maurice a picture of it when I ordered the Millennium and told him I wanted the body to match the 137 as close as possible, and they got really close.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 7:39 am    

Anybody who knows me knows that i have had just about every
guitar built. I was looking for that sound, pedal action, lever action
etc...For the most part they are all fine steels. To me the best steel
built is the one YOU and only YOU like best. This is my opinion!
Most of the steels that i have had were fine. Some better than others.
But i always kept coming back to MSA. Because the total guitar fits me!
The overall innovations of the guitar are remarkable!
Tone, playability, etc. This is not knocking other guitars companies!!
Now let the “flame throwers “ begin...
texsteelman2@yahoo.com

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 9:09 am    

What JK said, other than the fact, you Junior, could stretch bailing wire over a 2x4 and sound killer!!

Scott A. Anderson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 11:39 am    

Junior Knight wrote:
Anybody who knows me knows that i have had just about every
guitar built. I was looking for that sound, pedal action, lever action
etc...For the most part they are all fine steels. To me the best steel
built is the one YOU and only YOU like best. This is my opinion!
Most of the steels that i have had were fine. Some better than others.
But i always kept coming back to MSA. Because the total guitar fits me!
The overall innovations of the guitar are remarkable!
Tone, playability, etc. This is not knocking other guitars companies!!
Now let the “flame throwers “ begin...

Flame throwers.......LOL...... I'll stand behind ya!!!!
2019 MSA Legend 9&9 BL705/Telonics X10 - 2010 MSA Studio Pro 9&9 BL 710s - 1995 Emmons LeGrande II D10 8&8 - E-66's - 1976 Emmons Split Tail PP - Clay Alden 15k SW - Hilton and Goodrich Volume Pedals - Evans FET 500 - Peavey Session 400 - Quilter Tone Block 202 w/Travis Toy Signature 12 and 15 Speakers/Cabinets - Profex II and ART Multiverb Alpha

https://www.msapedalsteels.com

https://soundcloud.com/scott-anderson-42
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBluesteelguy