The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steve Ripley of the Tractors
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 10:42 am    

Leon Russell introduced me to Steve in 1978 and he's been a close buddy ever since. His talents were manifold. Singer/songwriter, band leader,lead guitarist,inventor,luthier,recording engineer/producer and all round good guy. I'll miss him.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/steve-ripley-the-tractors-dead-775044/

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 1:13 pm    

Got to do 2 sessions in "The Church" studio on 3rd and Trenton in Tulsa, years ago soon after it was converted to a recording studio. Place had an aura about it even then. Steve will be missed.

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 6:53 pm    

Sad to hear. Condolences to you Michael.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 2:58 am    

My Condolences Michael!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 3:25 am    

Michael, Very sorry to know the loss of your friend.
Please accept my condolences as well.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 10:43 am    

Damn, way too young. Always loved The Tractors.

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 7:41 pm    

Great guy.... and a Family man. ( With a capital F) What a talent !!! We enjoyed some times together and I saw him in Oklahoma a year or so back. One of the great unrecognized talents (mostly) in the business. He had.... as we liked to say " Big Ears.
God bless and keep you Steve.....
Melbert 8, Remington S8, Silk 6 string, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Prestige Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2019 11:17 am    

Truly sad news...my sympathies to you Michael...

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2019 12:25 am    

Back when I was majoring in Radio/TV/Film at Oklahoma State (when we hand-chiseled the grooves into the granite "records"), and frothing at the mouth to get into studio recording, my professors introduced me to Steve, an earlier graduate of the department. We set up an arrangement one semester where I'd do 10 hours a week of whatever Steve needed around his studio for an hour's credit in a kind of "independent study".

I regret not staying in better touch in recent years; I had no idea about his health of late.

Growing up in Oklahoma, I never imagined I'd ever know someone who'd been to George Harrison's house (on tour with Bob Dylan, early 1980s)...or for that matter, anyone who'd toured with Bob Dylan. And...and...and...

Steve did a hell of a lot in a tragically too-short life.

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 3:54 pm    

Steve Ripley's memorial service will be next Tuesday, February 5 at 2:00 PM a the Church at Downtown, 1915 E, 3rd Street. It will be a fitting tribute to a his life and musical career. I hope some Local 94 members will attend.
Melbert 8, Remington S8, Silk 6 string, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Prestige Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'