The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best way to polish chrome/mica on pedal steel
Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 30 Dec 2018 8:33 pm    

What is the best way to polish up an old steel guitar's mica and chrome?

Thanks

Craig
Telonics Amp, Stereo Steel, Fender Vibrasonic & many Telecasters (You can't have too many)

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2018 9:48 pm    

What kind of guitar?

You don't really want to polish mica, it will likely end badly. Most laminates have a (very) thin clear layer on the top that provides the gloss, once you wear or polish through it it's toast. A coat or two of paste wax is your best bet to shine it up. If it's really scratched up you might as well replace it.

As far as the metalwork, there's usually not much chrome on a psg. Legs are typically chromed, and perhaps a few other stray bits, but the shiny parts on most guitars are primarily aluminum - end plates, necks, keyheads, changer parts. You'll always get the best results by taking the guitar apart and polishing pieces individually.

If you don't plan to dis-assemble the guitar and polish everything properly on a wheel, Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish works well on aluminum with minimal elbow grease required. Be careful not to get any down into the workings of the changer or other moving parts. It won't do much with deep scratches though, and it won't do anything to chrome. Lightly abrasive polishing compounds like Simichrome work well on both chrome and aluminum, but require a bit more care and effort.

There are lots of similar products available. Different products do different things on different materials. I'm sure there will be a lots of opinions posted here soon. You can take your pick.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 12:45 am    

Mr.Clean Magic Eraser sponge!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Last edited by Stu Schulman on 3 Jan 2019 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 5:22 am    

Thanks guys. I was just looking to do a DIY quick polish job at home without taking anything apart. I will try the Mothers Mag polish and Magic eraser.

Happy New Year!

Craig
Telonics Amp, Stereo Steel, Fender Vibrasonic & many Telecasters (You can't have too many)

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 7:53 am    

You can use any kind of spray on, rub off guitar polish on your mica. Just about any music store has it.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 4:59 am    

Craig Bailey wrote:
Thanks guys. I was just looking to do a DIY quick polish job at home without taking anything apart. I will try the Mothers Mag polish and Magic eraser.

Happy New Year!

Craig

Craig,
Mother’s Mag metal and aluminum polish (Wally World or any auto parts store) and a few good soft microfiber cloths and old tee shirts will make the metal shine like new.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 5:01 am    

Ian Worley wrote:
What kind of guitar?

You don't really want to polish mica, it will likely end badly. Most laminates have a (very) thin clear layer on the top that provides the gloss, once you wear or polish through it it's toast. A coat or two of paste wax is your best bet to shine it up. If it's really scratched up you might as well replace it.

As far as the metalwork, there's usually not much chrome on a psg. Legs are typically chromed, and perhaps a few other stray bits, but the shiny parts on most guitars are primarily aluminum - end plates, necks, keyheads, changer parts. You'll always get the best results by taking the guitar apart and polishing pieces individually.

If you don't plan to dis-assemble the guitar and polish everything properly on a wheel, Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish works well on aluminum with minimal elbow grease required. Be careful not to get any down into the workings of the changer or other moving parts. It won't do much with deep scratches though, and it won't do anything to chrome. Lightly abrasive polishing compounds like Simichrome work well on both chrome and aluminum, but require a bit more care and effort.

There are lots of similar products available. Different products do different things on different materials. I'm sure there will be a lots of opinions posted here soon. You can take your pick.

Ian
You ain’t seen my ‘95 Mullen. It helps keep Mother’s Mag Polish in business lol!
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 5:18 am    

Quote:

OK, I'll bite, Stu - I'm assuming you're kidding, but that is a good cleaner for unusual things (smoke).
Serious?
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.

Last edited by Daniel Morris on 5 Jan 2019 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 5:26 am    

Daniel Morris wrote:
Quote:

OK, I'll bite, Stu - I'm assuming you're kidding, but that is good cleaner for unusual things (smoke).
Serious?

Daniel,
Actually Magic Erasers work awesome for cleaning up your mica and metal. I’d follow up with a damp cloth after and some Pledge or some such on the Mica if extra “shine” is wanted

Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 6:07 am    

Thanks, Patrick, I didn't know about this.
So, the Magic Eraser is fine for mica, lacquer and all metal on a pedal steel?
I'll have to try it.
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 7:43 am    

Daniel Morris wrote:
I'll have to try it.

It's also good for getting tomato stains off your face when the crowd beans you with a tomato. 🍅

Mothers for me. I had a can of actual forMICA spray cleaner/polish. Can't find it, and not sure if it is any better than Pledge.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 8:03 am    

I bought a Mr.Clean Magic Eraser when I was living in Alaska and was surprised what it can do.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 10:40 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Daniel Morris wrote:
I'll have to try it.

It's also good for getting tomato stains off your face when the crowd beans you with a tomato. 🍅

Mothers for me. I had a can of actual forMICA spray cleaner/polish. Can't find it, and not sure if it is any better than Pledge.

It can remove stuff from painted walls without marring the paint and does awesome cleaning stainless.