The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Exploration C6
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2019 8:31 pm    

I would like to share a way to explore and use your C6 neck. Over the last two years I have been figuring out and playing songs I normally play on the E9th neck on the C6 neck. It has been working out for me very well. I also have been using Paul Franklins C6 online course which has been a real help. I sat down about a year ago figuring out Ray Price's, Night Life on C6. I learned it fairly well. Just learning that song alone has helped train my ears to recognize some nice swing and jazz tones that I have learned to use in songs I have been learning on C6 that I used to play on E9th. Playing in a vintage country band has allowed me to utilize my C6 neck on some of the material we do. Now I have the lead player and bass player, which are very good players, plugging in some jazz chords and notes while I am playing some fill or leads. They sure enjoy the tone of the C6 as much as I do. I did not get much of a chance to play C6 years ago because the groups I was working with back in the 80's and 90's were doing top 10, top 40 country playing big clubs. 99 percent of what we played was all E9th. The only time I was playing anything on C6 was when we did some George Strait material which always had that western swing sound. Back in 2000 I was faced with a terminal health issue with my youngest daughter. I was out of playing for about six years. I sold all my gear at that time. A year after she passed away I was coaxed back into playing again by a close friend. I bought a Sho Bud S10, 3+2 pretty cheap that needed a lot of TLC. I got a hold of John Coop at the time and he sent me the hardware to add the other two knee levers. I put some miles on the old Sho Bud, even a trip to Ireland to do some work for a friend of mine. Watching some You Tube videos planted the C6 bug back in me and the rest is history. That moved me up to a beautiful Super Pro that spent most of it's life in the case. Sorry if my story is a little boring, but, it was a journey for me.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 6:59 am    

Keep searching. Playing stuff on C6 that would normally be on E9 is an excellent way to understand and simplify the tuning.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 7:57 am    

Hi Kevin,
Great to hear your story except the loss of your Daughter. I can't imagine.

There are so many tunes while you're on the bandstand that you can slip over to C6. Just playing chord melodies make a difference in sound, be it a slow for fast tune.

I play in Nashville and at times I'll have a request from the bass player to switch over to C6 on a standard such as Crazy Arms as an example.

That is one of the reasons I wrote this lesson. So many of the melody chords can be used on the tunes and helps you learn the neck.

TAP HERE

I was at a club here in Nashville listening to a fellow steeler and he asked me to sit in. Got up on his guitar and played for a bit, then a tune came up that would fit some C6. I jumped on it and to my surprise, the C6 was way out of tune darn!!! ☺

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 6:27 pm    

I totally agree with Ron Hogan - even C6th comping & padding when you get the chance.

And playing C6th on simple 3 chord songs (not necessarily traditionally thought of as C6th tunes) can really add to the bandstand.

I've played in many groups thru the years where Lead and Steel player will typically cut each instrumental solo "in half" and share the length of the entire solo "50/50."

Kind of like this:

Vocal verse and Vocal chorus
then
Lead & Steel solos shared "50/50"

then Vocal verse and Vocal chorus
then
Steel & Lead solos shared "50/50"
Vocals out

Using the C6th neck for one of my two leads really helped me learn the neck.

Hope this helps......plus, you won't get bored!

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 6:52 pm    

^^^

What Ron said... Smile

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 4:22 pm    

Kevin,
Here's an example of a tune we did on the bandstand yesterday. Th e Haggard tune Big City. This isn't the actual one from last night, but one I did at home with E9 first then C6.

Click Example

Ron

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 5:26 pm    

Smart man, that Ron Hogan. He's from Jersey, don't cha know.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 6:10 pm    

Ron, I liked that. That version of Big City with C6 sounds like it should have always been played that way. I don't sound as good as you for sure! I am on the same path with taking some of theses old songs and converting them over to C6. I stared out a year ago with "Folsom Prison Blues". It was a simple start and fun. When ever we play I always throw in a new one here and there. I thought that my idea would make C6 more welcoming and fun at the same time for guys that are good E9th players and want to try something new. The more I play and learn on the back neck the more fun it is. Me and Tab never really got along. My vision levels has always been very poor so my ears have to be my best learning tools. Thanks again Ron!!!

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 6:29 pm    

Ron, That makes Big City sound like a million dollars!!!

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 7:23 pm    

Jack Stanton kept me on my toes when I was first playing years ago. He was/is a force to reckon with!

And a Friend.

Ron

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 7:25 am    

Actual video here of the switch.

Click Here

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 3:13 pm    

Hey Ron! Thanks for posting the video. I learned something. The walk up chords that you did opened a new door to lots of songs.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 4:23 pm    

Good deal Kevin!

Jim Hoke

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 4:51 pm    

Ron - that's most excellent! is that your Williams? What amp? You inspired me with that, thank you!

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 8:34 pm    

Hi Jim,
Yes my Williams. I’m using a PEavey Nashville 112.

Thanks for inspiring me to buy a Williams. Yours is a great guitar.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2019 5:07 pm    

Newest song live today was, "Good Old Boy's" by Moe Bandy and Joe Stamply. Nice C6 tune. Playing E9th was getting boring. C6 sure takes the boredom out of playing!!!!

Last edited by Kevin Fix on 12 Jan 2019 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2019 5:14 pm    

To Ron Funk, Me and the lead player do the same thing. I showed him how to do split leads. We do split leads on most of our songs except like songs like "Remember When" by Alan Jackson.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2019 2:39 pm    

Herb Steiner put out a free booklet of chords you can play on C6. Very handy and well put together.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Last edited by Ron Hogan on 8 Sep 2019 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2019 7:42 pm    

Thanks Ron!!! A real helpful puzzle piece. One thing about it, their is never a dull moment playing the C6 neck!! I am still converting some of the E9th songs we play into C6. Not all the songs work but a good majority of them do. E9th was getting boring.

David Easley

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2019 10:40 am    

For awhile there I was playing most of my gigs on a single C6 12 and it was kind of fun when someone called a country song to try to get the 9th neck sounds on the C6th. Even though I'm playing a C6th/E9th Excel with the gear shifter now, I often still use the C6th for country songs even if they are from the E9th era of country music.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2019 5:40 pm    

I find myself exploring all of the time. I will play a song I have been playing for years on E9th and play them now on C6. New song today, "Hello Walls". C6 is highly addictive!!!