The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Foundations: E9 Pedal Steel Basics
Franklin

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 3:08 pm    

Hi All,

The "Foundations: E9 Pedal Steel Basics" course has just been released... It took us about a year to compile the course....And moving to a new host allows us to provide some new instructional options, as well as payment plans....All and all, this has been an amazing year... And I have had a ball teaching.

The "Foundations" course is an inexpensive streaming course that lasts 12 months and you can access it 24/7 ....No matter what genre students pursue, this course is aimed towards helping new players fill their tool box....I show them exactly what is needed to advance towards their goal, no matter what type of music interests them...The fundamentals teaches the skills and basic music info towards playing any type of music on pedal steel.

The Foundations course introduces musical styles such as rock attitudes, swing ideas, as well as the traditional settings. It contains all of the correct and basic fundamentals I mastered in my first year...The lessons in the course equips new players with rock solid skills, all of which are needed for playing at any level.

When choosing what I should include to modernize what is already available to them from the past, it was clear, todays students l must be taught "All" of the missing technique options beyond Palm Blocking. So I added Pick blocking, Fingertip blocking, showing how to play with a guitar pick instead of the thumb pick because it is a viable technique, no picks, etc....Just like guitarists, I believe new players should be shown all of the options. It is an advantage when students have all of the information upfront...That is the best way to help anyone choose the right technique...If anyone is interested they can check it out on the blog.....Click here for more info on this course on what's new.... https://paulfranklinmethod.com/new-course-and-pfm-news/

Wishing Everyone A Merry Christmas!
Paul Franklin

Last edited by Franklin on 18 Dec 2018 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 2:21 am    

Great job Paul.

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2019 10:10 am    

Even though I play Bb6, I have come to realize that much of my difficulty in playing the pedal steel is in the areas of fundamentals (thank you, Travis Toy!). Because of this, I signed up for this course, and have found it to be clearly laid out, and full of good solid information that anyone can apply to any steel guitar.

Thank you, Paul - this is very well done!

Ray Mangrum

Nashville, TN.
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2019 1:23 pm     E9th Basics

Boy do I ever agree with these statements!! And at the risk of being a nuisance, once again, I would really like to see something on the C-6th like this. The E9th basics brings back a lot of stuff I thought I had and would never lose....
Once I seen it and walked through it, realized I needed to go back and really try to digest it again. Thanks Paul

Franklin

Post  Posted 3 Jan 2019 10:13 pm    

Hi Christopher,

Welcome to the foundations.. I can't thank you enough for such kind words about this course.... I hope you will eventually join the PFM where the deeper stuff gets dissected......There is a private FB page which is devoted solely to learning music in any direction for those who join that class...Its kind of like the lab band concept....Players are sharing ideas, their progress, etc. and I stop by everyday answering questions and reviewing student videos per request....Its so much fun and I know you teach, so you will understand why I would say this, "I am learning as much as the class"....

Happy New Year!

Paul

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 10:11 am    

Thanks, Paul!

I’ll be there when I can - thank you for doing this, very helpful indeed.

Here’s something you’ll get a kick out of, from 2011:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1775601&highlight=#1775601

Franklin

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 10:00 pm    

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for the walk down memory lane....Once again, Awesome playing!

Take care,
PF