The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  G major to Gsus2
William Kendrick

Bedford Heights, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 6:13 pm    

How to smoothly go from a G Major to a Gsus2 on my E9th neck. I have thought about this and thought and thought and then a bell went off. Ask the Forum. So, given the 3 primary G major positions (3 open, 6FA, 10AB), how can I slide to a Gsus2 and make it sound pretty? Or, what might be a good chord substitute for a Gsus2? Thanks for all your help.
1979 Emmons D-10 P/P 8X5, Lawrence L-710 Pickups, Li'l Izzy, Telonics Volume Pedal, Goodrich Super Sustain Matchbox, Lexicon MX200 Dual Reverb Effects Processor, Peavey Vegas 400 Amplifier with BW Speaker.

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 7:45 pm    

Pedals down i.e. 10th fret: release A pedal. No pedals i.e. 3rd fret: if you have a 7th string raise, use that to get the G maj, release and you have sus 2. If you have whole step lower on 6th string that will do it. A pedal F lever i.e. 6th fret: hmm. I don't think there's anything nearby*. You could release A and F and slide up to 10th fret with B down, or with the 6th string lower slide to 3rd fret. I don't have a 6 string lower except on a Franklin pedal so I can't vouch for that one but all the rest are easy enough to do.

D sus 4 (d, g, a) is a substitute for G sus 2 (g, a, d).

*Of course there is: release E string raises and engage E string lowers.

Last edited by Jim Robbins on 19 Dec 2018 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 8:15 pm    

To get a sus2 chord, simply drop the 3rd scale degree to the 2nd degree and play root, 2nd and 5th.
In the no pedals position, the thirds are on strings 3 and 6. The lever that drops string six a whole tone will do this. You can also accomplish this move by dropping back two frets as you engage your C pedal after picking 6-5-4.
In the 10AB position you just rock off the A pedal while keeping the B pedal down.
The AF position is a little trickier as you need to release the E raise (F) lever and engage the E lower lever. Depending on how your e levers are set up, you may or may not be able to get this one smooth.

Here is a little free advice. If you don't know or have trouble figuring out which scale degrees are on which strings, or how to put together common chords, a little investment of time in learning some basic theory will pay big dividends down the road, especially if you want to move beyond playing other peoples tabs.
I believe Mark van Allen has a short course that should get you up and running with a minimal investment of time and money, and open a lot of doors for you.
Good luck and happy picking.

Franklin

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 8:20 pm    

Hi William,

For the G major pick groups 1 and 2 at the 3rd fret no pedals..than slide back to fret 1 and as you slide press pedal C only to get the Gsus2...Its just called a G2 chord in most circles....

If you lower your 6th string G# to F# you can simply hit groups 2, 3, or 4 for the Gmajor at fret3....than lower the lever for the G2 chord

A G2 chord I played recently on a Justin Moore track was group 2 at fret 3 and then I lowered the PF4 pedal to play a G2 with an 11 in it......That is a cool voicing to play when you are asked to play a G2 chord......

Modern chord construction over the last 30 years has really changed.....I advise you to learn the intervals so you can see where the options are..

Merry Christmas!
PF

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 8:31 pm    

If group 2 is 8-6-5, then you were playing GAC, Paul? Cool sound, kind of a modern,cluster thing. I don't have the PF pedal on my uni but I can get that move using P7 at the first fret, strings 7-6-5.
And a merry Christmas to you too.

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 12:07 am    

3rd fret I like strings 5 4 1 with 1 beeing raised (F#-G#) then releasing 1st string from "3rd" down to a "2nd"

6th fret Strings 8 (5) 3 2
A + F levers engaged plus the 2nd string lowered a whole tone, release 2nd string lever to raise "root" to the "9th".

I also like strings 9 8 6 5 w A+B and 9th string lowered (D-C#) then release the A pedal to lower the "3rd" down to a "2nd"

B.Erlandsen
Zumsteel S12extE9 7+7

William Kendrick

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 4:13 am    

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I can't wait to try them out when I get home. Bill
1979 Emmons D-10 P/P 8X5, Lawrence L-710 Pickups, Li'l Izzy, Telonics Volume Pedal, Goodrich Super Sustain Matchbox, Lexicon MX200 Dual Reverb Effects Processor, Peavey Vegas 400 Amplifier with BW Speaker.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 8:51 am    

Paul Franklin wrote:
For the G major pick groups 1 and 2 at the 3rd fret no pedals..than slide back to fret 1 and as you slide press pedal C only to get the Gsus2PF

This is the classic way. It's what the C pedal was put there for, back in the day of pull-release guitars when you couldn't lower 6 as well as raise it. The minor triad with the B pedal was a by-product. It's still a move worth practising even if you have the whole-tone lower on a lever.

(There's a parallel on the C6 neck where P7 physically raises 3 & 4 but is really a means of lowering 5 & 6 a whole tone.)

Sus2 in the A/F position is a good argument for having E raise and lower on different knees. Then you can get exactly the same effect in all three postions.

Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 10:35 am    

Here's another very smooth way .
I have a LVK that raises top B up to D. If you play G ( strings 456) at 10 with AB and engage LVK you get G sus4 ...now release LVK and pedal A and whilst still ringing strike 2string prelowered by semitone ( using 2 string lower lever )then lower it again another semitone with lever.

Jay Coover

Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 11:04 am    

I think these have all been covered above:
A + F -> A + E (6th fret)
A + B -> B (10th fret)
Pedals up -> slide back two frets and press C (3rd to 1st fret)
The last one can be tricky to make sound right, but if you have a Franklin lever that lowers string 6 to F# you can also use that in the pedals up position 3rd fret without sliding the bar. As someone mentioned, the A + F move can be tricky as well. If your E raise and lower are on the same knee, the closer your levers are together, the smoother it might sound.

Last edited by Jay Coover on 19 Dec 2018 4:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

William Kendrick

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 4:01 pm    

I KNEW I would not be dissappointed. Tried many of these on my PSG and love the sounds. Thank you all!

Gary Hegland

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 11:40 am    

One I have learned recently is lower string 9 a half tone, use the B pedal. String 9 becomes the third, 6 becomes root, 5 is the two note, and string 4 is the fifth.

Mostly play at home through the sound system, playing along with tracks. Getting spoiled with that tone!

Franklin

Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 4:20 pm    

I hope everyone understands that an add 9 chord is the same chord as what we are discussing concerning the G2....On sessions I play each one for the other when there is a melody of a fill or solo I want to emphasize... .....The G2 has a 9 between the root and 3rd....The add 9 has the interval placed after the 5th

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 6:22 pm    

I thought I understood but...
A suspended chord has no 3rd, it's suspended in favor of either the 2nd or the 4th. You wouldn't play the root 2nd and 3rd all together as part of a chord, would you?

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 7:47 pm    

Brian Hollands wrote:
I thought I understood but...
A suspended chord has no 3rd, it's suspended in favor of either the 2nd or the 4th. You wouldn't play the root 2nd and 3rd all together as part of a chord, would you?

That's my understanding, too: the 'sus 2' is a no-third chord for a little tonal ambiguity. First time I heard the term was to describe some Steely Dan chords. But I'd defer to Paul on contemporary usage in pro studios, in my limited studio experience I don't think anyone's ever given me a chart, nevermind one with non-triad chords.

Question for Paul: When you see G2 and throw in an 11th or treat it as a 9th, do producers ever give you a hard time because they want that specific stripped down sound or are they generally cool with and/or expecting extensions (or they are looking for your input)?

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2018 10:24 am    

Jim R., that chord voiced 1-2-3-5 and its inversions has been referred to as the Steely Dan or Mu chord; I tend to think of it as the Valdy chord as it is a musical favourite of one of our old BC folk icons.

Check out this article. https://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/steely-dan-chords/

Pity I didn't find this site sooner.

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2018 1:24 pm    

Chris Reesor wrote:
Jim R., that chord voiced 1-2-3-5 and its inversions has been referred to as the Steely Dan or Mu chord; I tend to think of it as the Valdy chord as it is a musical favourite of one of our old BC folk icons.

Check out this article. https://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/steely-dan-chords/

Pity I didn't find this site sooner.

Thanks, Chris, that is what I was dimly and inaccurately remembering. I'll bear the Valdy connection in mind next time someone asks me to play them a rock & roll song.

Franklin

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2018 2:05 pm    

If they want a sus chord they write it as a G sus....I have worked on a lot of reading dates and can honestly say I have not see a sus2 written on a chart.....

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2018 7:21 am    

Franklin wrote:
If they want a sus chord they write it as a G sus....I have worked on a lot of reading dates and can honestly say I have not see a sus2 written on a chart.....

Does that also apply to a sus4 chord?

Franklin

Post  Posted 25 Dec 2018 4:52 am    

Richard,

The answer is yes...We are given freedom to embellish chords on the chart by adding more color....I also never see a sus 4 written....its notated this way, G sus...
So its an add to or take away from procedure when playing a studio chart...
Merry Christmas
Paul

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2019 4:39 pm    

Interesting. Thanks for the info and Happy New Year!