The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Using a Cross-Rod for both a Pedal AND a Lever:
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2018 1:58 pm    

OK so I had another idea... [sorry].

I have always wanted a LKL2 to raise my B's to C on my S12U and other Pedal Steels (this change this is basically the F-lever of the 6th tuning).
So I found an extra knee-lever from some past project, and attached it directly to the Crossrod for my C-pedal!
Because of other past nut-job copedant experimants, my C-pedal not only raises strings 4 and 5 a whole-tone, but also 9-B and 12-B a whole-tone.
So I tuned those changes at the endplate so the C-pedal now only raises the three B-s to C (took 30sec), and am using the Knee-Lever that is attached directly to the C-Pedals Cross-Rod to engage that raise while playing in B6th mode!

This will work great for many things, during the time I would not be using the C-pedal Smile
To go back to C-pedal, just quickly retune strings 4 and 5 at the endplate.

Now don't ask me how I know this, but if you don't have a spare knee-lever laying around, you can use a pair of vice-grips as a knee lever!

The Extra Knee Lever:

Attached to the C-pedals Cross-Rod:

My Left leg cluster including LKL2:

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2018 4:48 pm    

So the stop for the pedal is also the stop for the knee lever?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2018 5:44 pm    

Quote:
Now don't ask me how I know this, but if you don't have a spare knee-lever laying around, you can use a pair of vice-grips as a knee lever!

LOL! Laughing

I once used a single crossrod to pull a front neck string on RKL and a back neck string on P8. That was fun. I no longer own that guitar (the one that got away) Sad .
<center>

</center>

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 5:17 am    

Craig A Davidson wrote:
So the stop for the pedal is also the stop for the knee lever?

Yes. The amount of slack is the coupla turns it takes to de-tune string-4 so it doesn't raise when using the C-pedal cross-rod as LKL2 in B6th mode.

But, I found another interesting Gem in E9th mode!
With the LKL2 attached to the C-pedal cross-rod, I can be playing along on the AB pedals, and raise string-4 E-to-F# with LKL2 anytime I want to without leaving AB!
So I can either use the C-pedal for classic C-Pedal licks, or, use LKL2 to raise string-4 E-to-F# while in the AB-down position, as I do in alot of singer/songwriter-ee and Amercana type stuff (it used to require using the right foot to hit the C-pedal while AB were down).
I am glad to have realized these alternative usages for my C-pedal cross-rod!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 7:55 am    

Pete, those vice-grip emergency knee levers - are you saying they have other uses?

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 8:38 am    

Quote:

The one and only, late Eric West

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 9:00 am    

Tony Glassman wrote:
Quote:

The one and only, late Eric West

I was soooo happy to learn that one from Eric!!!
So much fun!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 10:50 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
I found another interesting Gem in E9th mode!
With the LKL2 attached to the C-pedal cross-rod, I can be playing along on the AB pedals, and raise string-4 E-to-F# with LKL2 anytime I want to without leaving AB!
So I can either use the C-pedal for classic C-Pedal licks, or, use LKL2 to raise string-4 E-to-F# while in the AB-down position, as I do in alot of singer/songwriter-ee and Amercana type stuff (it used to require using the right foot to hit the C-pedal while AB were down).
I am glad to have realized these alternative usages for my C-pedal cross-rod!

That's a very good lever to have! Cool

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2019 1:20 pm     E to F# 4th String Lever

I've had the E to F# 4th String knee lever on every steel I've owned since 1978 except the Promat, and much prefer it to the 3rd E9th pedal. True you can't wack a knee lever like a pedal up and down quite as fast, but at my age I'm not that fast anyway.
Started long ago when I had a steel with just two E9th pedals and got to really like it better that way.
That also frees up the third pedal for some other possible useful changes.
There is the Franklin pedal so many like and I like raising my 5th & 6th string a whole tone on it. That is a 6th tuning change that works well on E9th with the E's lowered as well as some other neat stuff. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2019 1:02 pm    

Pete, I've intermittently had string 4E>F# on a knee lever, just had it put on my Ext E9 pedal 6 on a Zum S12 7+6 I just got back from Lynn Stafford. I also lower string 8 E>D, yielding a great dom9 chord. Both changes are useful used independently, of course.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2019 1:51 pm    

John McClung wrote:
Pete, I've intermittently had string 4E>F# on a knee lever, just had it put on my Ext E9 pedal 6 on a Zum S12 7+6 I just got back from Lynn Stafford. I also lower string 8 E>D, yielding a great dom9 chord. Both changes are useful used independently, of course.

John...

I've been thinking about lowering 8 to D for a while now. How's it working out for you?