The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Danny Rainwater, Former Guitarist for Gene Watson
Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 7:10 am    

It is with a heavy heart that I'm posting this message. Danny Rainwater, former Lead Guitarist for Gene Watson passed away on Friday, 12/28/18. His son Jimmy called me to tell me of this. I sure will miss Danny.

I first met Danny at a Watson show in late 1976 when he was travelling with Gene as his guitarist. At that time, Gene had released probably four top-ten records and didn't travel with a full band. I backed him up and the chemistry between myself and Danny (and Gene)was immediate. It was like we'd worked together for years. Danny left Gene to work for Kenny Dale shortly thereafter. Gene hired me in late '77 when he put together his new, four piece road-band.

Danny rejoined us with Gene in January, 1981. About a year later Gene started using us, his Farewell Party Band on all his recordings. It was Danny and I who played the twin lead parts on Gene's records (Got No Reason Now for Goin' Home, Sometimes I Get Lucky, Memories to Burn, etc.) until 1987. We never had to practice, we worked things up on the fly.

Dan was a Brother. Besides the music and his great playing, he was a wonderful, kind hearted man. He also had a great sense of humor. We all did many things together back then. I have so many great and funny memories.

Doug Boggs, Larry Booth, Tony Booth and myself are now the only ones left from Gene's band of that era. I know my fellow, remaining Brothers from The Farewell Party Band of that era and Gene himself, feel the same about Danny and his passing as do I. When you beat the road like we did back then, tens of thousands of miles per month and 300+ days a year, year after year, you become a tight-knit family. Danny was family.

Danny had some health issues the past few years and I know that had dragged him down a bit. I spoke to him a short time ago and talking about some of the crazy things that happened out on the road had us both laughing. That was great.

Please pray for his wife and family during their time of sorrow. On a good note, I know that Danny knew Jesus... so he's good to go..!!

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 7:37 am    

Tiny, I was so sorry to hear about Danny's passing. I sure have some great memories of those days when we worked shows together. Danny was a nice fellow and a great player. Happy to know that he knew the Lord!

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 7:23 pm     Danny Rainwater

Tiny, the album Sometimes I get Lucky and Forget is one of my all time favorites! I think the work you and Danny did together is as good as it gets! Danny will certainly be remembered.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 10:12 pm    

I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend Danny. Unfortunately we're getting to the age when these thing happen much too frequently.
Prayers for the family.

Roy Peterman

Muncy Valley, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2019 3:41 am    

So sorry to hear about Danny. You and Danny played so well together Tiny, and you had such a great band with Gene back then. Danny and his family will be in my prayers my friend.

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2019 9:47 am    

Thanks for your kind words and prayers guys. I appreciate your kind words about Danny, he sure was a special person. I appreciate you all and it would sure be good to see you one of these days. We were all out there beating the road like crazy back then.

Roy... I remember one day headed to a show we were doing with Joe Stampley. We were not running together as we'd done different gigs/towns the night before. I pulled in to a restaurant driving Gene's Eagle and about a minute later you pulled in driving Joe's MCI. It wasn't planned, it just happened. We laughed about the two steel players driving the two buses while everyone else slept.

Thanks again and I hope you're all well.

Roy Peterman

Muncy Valley, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2019 3:52 am    

Chris, I kind of remember that. I don't remember where that was, but that is funny thinking about that. The things we did for extra money! I hope you have a very blessed New Year old friend!

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2019 8:06 am    

Tiny, I am going to pray with you, and that God sends his angels to comfort your friend. I remember meeting you and Tony in Nashville back 83. We we're staying at The Holiday Inn on Trinity lane.

DeWayne Lanier

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2019 11:58 am    

Tiny,
I hate to hear the sad news. The magic that you and Danny along with Gene and his Farewell Party Band captured in the studio will live on. Danny will be sorely missed and it's wonderful that he knew the Lord.
My thoughts and prayers to you and his family.