The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who Played Steel On This?
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 2:18 pm    

My current favorite song. Cody Hubach "Death Row Blues". It has some super cool playing on it and I just wondered who it might be.
https://youtu.be/Y-DkZDQEIBg

David Zornes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 5:05 pm     Who played steel?

I would say that by the name of the record label; first, it was probably a local studio in Texas; so therefore maybe a local steel player.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2018 9:36 am    

Are local studios and local players of lesser quality?
Bradley's Barn studio, RCA, Lloyd Green and Buddy Emmons were all local players and studios in Nashville I would think. They seldom went on tour.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2018 5:04 pm    

I don't know anything about Cody Hubach other than a very brief bit I have found online. I'm always listening to obscure recordings and I've found some very small label, barely known records with extremely great steel playing.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2018 7:55 pm    

Sounds good to me. Steel fits that style of music. Kinda of a country rock style.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 5:45 am    

David Mitchell wrote:
Are local studios and local players of lesser quality?

To be frank...sometimes they are. The old saying "The cream rises to the top" does have validity. Not as much as it used to, but I'd say that, in most cases, the major-label players are all top-tier guys. Those who play for local (mostly unknown) studios, not so much. I don't know who played on the record in question, but judging just by what I'm hearing, I'd guess it's probably not a major name, "top-tier" player.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 9:21 am    

I suppose then if it wasn't recorded in Nashville, New York or Los Angeles for a major label with only first call players it's a local player. Heeheehe!
We recorded Blue by LeAnn Rimes here in Tyler, Tx. with a low tier player like Milo Deering.
My friend here in Tyler,Tx. recorded ZZ Tops first 3 albums and one that went platinum at his house.
I'll have to remind everyone we're local low tier players. Donny I know what you mean. I'm not trying to be a smart butt it's just that I need someone to define the word local. Local to what? Capitol Records tower is in Los Angeles and not Nashville. Ralph Mooney and Tom Brumley played on a lot of hits there in LA.
The layman's definition of local is "Sounds like crap, probably nobody we know." Lol!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 6:38 pm    

David Mitchell wrote:
I suppose then if it wasn't recorded in Nashville, New York or Los Angeles for a major label with only first call players it's a local player. Heeheehe!
We recorded Blue by LeAnn Rimes here in Tyler, Tx. with a low tier player like Milo Deering.
My friend here in Tyler,Tx. recorded ZZ Tops first 3 albums and one that went platinum at his house.
I'll have to remind everyone we're local low tier players. Donny I know what you mean. I'm not trying to be a smart butt it's just that I need someone to define the word local. Local to what? Capitol Records tower is in Los Angeles and not Nashville. Ralph Mooney and Tom Brumley played on a lot of hits there in LA.
The layman's definition of local is "Sounds like crap, probably nobody we know." Lol!

Hard to know how to respond to all that, so I'll just let your comments (and mine) stand, as is.

Have a nice Holiday, David. Very Happy

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 10:03 pm    

You too Donnie! I always enjoy your comments and helpful contributions on the forum. It's just the word local has always been a bit of a mystery to me because I have heard it used in that context my entire life. Peace! You all have a wonderful Holiday season! God Bless!

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2018 6:48 pm    

anyone know who might have played steel on this record? Also since small record labels came up in this discussion does anyone have some good obscure suggestions I could check out. Doesn't matter if they have steel playing or not. Starday, K-ARK, ARA recorders of Arizona etc...

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2018 9:09 pm    

If you really want to know Daniel I suggest calling these Austin, Tx. studios and find the whereabouts of the MacAdams brothers. Here is link to the governor's office of Texas Recording studios. I use to list my studio with them when I had a commercial studio in Texas. It appears that studio is unlisted or likely out of business but if you could track the owners down I bet you they can get you in touch with the musicians that played on it. Hope this helps.

https://gov.texas.gov/Apps/Music/Directory/results/recordingstudios/region/austin/p7

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2018 5:44 pm    

I will look into that. Thanks for the link. There is another label that had a website with a page actually devoted to the early part of Cody Hubach's career but this single came out much later (may still contact them). it was Sonobeat records.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2018 7:20 pm    

You're very welcome Daniel. Hope that can help.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 11:53 am    

Daniel McKee wrote:
anyone know who might have played steel on this record? Also since small record labels came up in this discussion does anyone have some good obscure suggestions I could check out. Doesn't matter if they have steel playing or not. Starday, K-ARK, ARA recorders of Arizona etc...

Danny, you might try visiting this website. Terry Gordon has established a treasure trove of information here, and it covers a lot of obscure country stuff. There are soundclips in many of the entries. Read the preface, and click on the letters in the labels on the homepage:

http://rcs-discography.com/rcs/index.html

`