The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stringmaster T8 question
Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2018 11:24 am    

I have a 1956 T8 with push button selectors.
Before I tare into it, what type of switches should I be looking for?

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2018 3:44 pm     Clarify?

Hey, Roy! Not sure I fully understand the question. Are the current switches bad (they are notorious for breaking, hence the last and final change to the Tele-type switch)?

Or: Have you heard they go bad and want to modify it before that happens?

Ultimately, I suppose it comes down to whether or not keeping your guitar al-original is. If you're just using it for a player, I'd make the same decision Fender did and modify it consistent with the Stringmaster V3 switches.

I actually have a 1957 T8, the year they switched over. I have NEVER had a problem with it,

Hope that helps!

PS) Maybe post a few pics?
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2018 4:44 pm    

Mark, guess I wasn't very clear.
I have the three push button switches and they are intermittent. It takes a while to get them active especially when I want to have 2 necks turned on.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 5:27 am    

I had exactly the same with my 1956 T8. My guitar tech couldn't fix the switch so rigged up a plate that mounted below the Stringmaster plate, holding 3 mini toggles which pushed up through the holes. Not the greatest solution visually but it did the trick and worked perfectly. Also didn't involve modifying the original plate. Any combination of necks is simple to select.

More recently, I ended up re-using the plate on my quad restoration and so drilled it for 4 full size toggle switches. When did my recent doubleneck build, I did the same thing - drilled it for two toggle switches.

Anyway, if you wanted to try it (or just buy yourself a bit more time before deciding on a more permanent fix) you're welcome to the little gizmo we made (just PM me your address).

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 9:54 am    

On my early Stringmasters they have the black slide switches and they have never given me any trouble.
Erv

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 12:16 pm    

Don’t give up on the original switches, often they can be cleaned up and will work perfectly. The contacts can be cleaned with contact cleaner and/or very fine sandpaper. They may need retensioning as well. It’s not difficult to get them to work as they should.
I have rehabbed a lot of them and I’ve never seen on that was beyond repair.

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2018 4:40 pm    

Thanks for all of the reply's. I attempted to clean them when I first got this T8 but I wasn't very successful at that. I think I am on a course now to replace the push buttons with a regular switch. Too many times these push buttons have left me in the dark.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2019 3:31 pm    

Try some DeoxIT D5 on the switches... I get it from tubeandmore.com because I haven't found it locally. Just a small spray can, with a tube/nozzle etc.. Works good on pots too, if they get noisy..

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2019 7:00 pm    

I don’t like those “pop” switches at all., although I have them on my 56 D8. Much happier with the Tele type switch on my 66 D8. If I ever get a T8, it must have the 3rd series switching

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2019 7:58 am    

Miles Lang wrote:
I don’t like those “pop” switches at all., although I have them on my 56 D8. Much happier with the Tele type switch on my 66 D8. If I ever get a T8, it must have the 3rd series switching

What is a 3rd series switching?
I have been looking at some "mini" switches that will fit in the original hole.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2019 3:06 pm    

When I first got my '56 T8 the push button switches were very crackly and noisy. I sprayed some electrical cleaner/lube through the output jack (didn't even have to open it up) and never had any trouble afterwards. I like the push button switches. Easy to target and activate the right neck with the tap of a finger

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 9:10 am    

Finally pulled the plate, got out the Q-tips and a can of Peavey Funk Out and went to work on the switches. Everything is working fine now and repaired some solder joints. Still need to fix the PU wiring connections for the inner and outer neck. Just sticking 2 wires in a hole and screwing the plate down doesn't make for a reliable connections. Next time I take it apart will replace all of the wiring.