The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Learning and Understand the PSG
Mike Heavner

Fallston,N.C.
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2018 9:11 am    

Hello Guys, I need advise on where to get some good learning material for the PSG. I had a PSG years ago and I gave up and Sold it because I didn't learn the proper way. My biggest mistake was not learning to know where all my keys were and understanding how to actually play. What I did was, I bought a Carter D 10 and I bought up a bunch of Tab and rhythm tracks and sat down and taught myself to play Tab and not fully understanding the PSG. I'm Fixing to buy an Emmons SD-10 from a friend of mine at the first of the year and he is going to help teach me when he's in town. In between those times that he can't Be in Town to teach me I'd like to know what Learning material you guys would recommend that I buy that could help me to learn the PSG the Right way. I do have a little musical background with Instruments like the Drums, Bass, a Little Piano and rhythm Guitar Knowledge etc. I taught myself to learn and play the above Instruments but when I bought my first Psg I figured I could teach my self, Boy was I wrong. I apologize for being so lengthy with my post but I really do want to learn this Instrument the right and proper way this time around so any advise is greatly appreciated.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2018 9:48 am    

I think you'll find that a lot of us have done the same thing you did Mike. For me, I gave it up for similar reasons (mainly: it didn't come to me as fast as guitar) when I was about 18, and didn't pick it back up with a determination to learn till I was 55 - better late than never I suppose.

I don't know what your strong points are in terms of how you learn things, but I would suggest spending a lot of time listening to the greats (Emmons, Day, Chalker, Charleton, Rugg, Franklin etc), and internalizing the licks, chord passages and basic approaches of those guys - that has helped me as much as anything. Then, take in anything you can about the hows and whys of the pedal steel anywhere you can. Especially,read through the many posts of the very knowledgeable guys on this forum - a lot of them have decades and decades of experience - unlike me.

I don't know if my advice could be considered "proper", but it is what has kept me glued to the thing, and the desire to learn this time around. There are much more experienced guy on here who can direct you to anything that may be proper. I will give you a couple names to look into though: Jeffran College; Winnie Winston, and Dewitt Scott (books); Paul Franklin course. And, there are some very good teachers on here who give Skype lessons. Good luck.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2018 9:49 am    

Paul Franklin has just started a Foundations course online that includes 82 video lessons for a total of $99. You can't beat that deal, nor the source! Find it at www.mmmlearn.com

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2018 9:49 am    

there's lots of great learning videos on YouTube these days. I'd start there

Mike Heavner

Fallston,N.C.
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2018 10:28 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Paul Franklin has just started a Foundations course online that includes 82 video lessons for a total of $99. You can't beat that deal, nor the source! Find it at www.mmmlearn.com

I just pulled up the website and signed up. Looks like it would be a great start to what I want to accomplish.
Thanks for the info Jim.

Mike Heavner

Fallston,N.C.
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2018 10:30 am    

scott murray wrote:
there's lots of great learning videos on YouTube these days. I'd start there

Yea I've been looking at some videos from Mickey Adams.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2018 10:30 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:

That's almost exactly what I was going to say. I was in the same position as you a year ago, now I kin almost play sum stuf!

And with the new "Foundations" version of the course, you can learn a whole lot for a small amount of money. Of course, there's still the hours of practice.... Very Happy

--Al Evans

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 28 Dec 2018 10:31 am    

Quote:
I do have a little musical background with Instruments like the Drums, Bass, a Little Piano and rhythm Guitar Knowledge etc. I taught myself to learn and play the above Instruments but when I bought my first Psg I figured I could teach my self, Boy was I wrong.

Remember, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

Quote:
I apologize for being so lengthy with my post but I really do want to learn this Instrument the right and proper way this time around so any advise is greatly appreciated.

Be careful what you wish for...

Just so you don't get the wrong idea, these observations are exclusively mine, and are tongue-in-cheek. That being said, be prepared for a long journey my friend..

Mike Heavner

Fallston,N.C.
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2018 10:36 am    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Quote:
I do have a little musical background with Instruments like the Drums, Bass, a Little Piano and rhythm Guitar Knowledge etc. I taught myself to learn and play the above Instruments but when I bought my first Psg I figured I could teach my self, Boy was I wrong.

Remember, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

Quote:
I apologize for being so lengthy with my post but I really do want to learn this Instrument the right and proper way this time around so any advise is greatly appreciated.

Be careful what you wish for...

Just so you don't get the wrong idea, these observations are exclusively mine, and are tongue-in-cheek. That being said, be prepared for a long journey my friend..

Oh trust me I understand It's going to be a challenge. Like I stated earlier, I just want to approach it the correct way this time around. And with the help and advise from you guys I feel confident about it this time around.

Tom Sosbe

Rushville,In
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2018 11:02 am    

second the Paul Franklin course.