The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Right hand.
Marc Orleans

New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2018 12:14 pm    

I'm sure this has been discussed many times before but I'd like some opinions on this.
I'm relatively new to console steel playing. I've played pedal on and off for years and I've my Sister and Brother in Law got me an instant down load of Cindy Cashdollar's Homespun tapes Western Swing Course.

When she gets into cross picking she uses the thumb and first I've used the thumb and middle for the same type of thing on pedal steel. I've transcribed on my own Leons version steel guitar Rag but for the C6th tuning and currently use thumb and middle where she uses thumb and first.

Just wondering what people think about that I'm sure many schools of thought. Should I switch my technique or just go with thumb and middle. I've started a year ago to change my right hand technique to more of a palm blocking technique than pick blocking. So I'm all ears. Hopefully I didn't open a can of worms.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2018 1:13 pm    

Hi,

For years I used thumb and middle finger as first choice to pick two notes, either as a pinch or for two notes in succession.
It has been my observation that a lot of steel players who can pick quickly use the thumb and index finger a whole lot. So, in the past year or so I have been picking that way and my ability to pick fast has increased.

I'm not sure what you are referring to in Cindy's cross-picking, and have not studied her picking moves.
The middle finger is more powerful than the index finger, but my observation and personal experience is that for quick moves the index and thumb are best.
Also, picking with the index finger and thumb as "first priority" keeps your hand lower, which means economy of motion and less energy expended.

My two cents.

Good luck.

Marc Orleans

New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2018 2:09 pm    

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I should switch fingers to the index then. Basically I'm looking at Cindys tutorials on the homespun tapes. For phrases involving single note patterns that run vertically across the neck that's the method she teaches.