The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone using a looper pedal?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 7:02 am    

I'd like to try one, and would welcome anyone's input on something easy to use.

Thanks in advance! Very Happy

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 8:10 am    

Most of them I've seen are pretty easy. I've got a Boss that I like. I suppose it depends on what your uses are. For the money and for practicing I prefer to use Band-in-a-Box though. I would think that BIAB would be better live than a looper pedal too. My feet are already pretty busy on steel. That Boss pedal I like is an RC-3.

Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 9:36 am    

I’ve been using a Boss RC-20xl. Super fun, has a mic input too!

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 11:20 am    

I have a Ditto looper I bought a month or two ago.
I wanted the simplest and easiest one to use I could find.
It does just one thing: it loops. No effects or anything else.
After reading reviews etc. I ordered one.
It is as advertised, simple to use and I can pile loops on top of one another as much as I want.
It's a true bypass pedal and built like a tank. It's also very tiny. It takes up no room on my pedal board.
I like it.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 11:23 am    

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread.

But... does anyone use the small Ditto Looper pedal? If so, what do you do with it? I've had one for a couple years, and have yet to hook it up. Just can't think of any use for it. Suggestions?

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 11:31 am    

Edited: My Ditto broke after a very short time. Maybe they've addressed the switch problem they were evidently having at the time. I don't know.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 3:43 pm    

I have the new Boss looper pedal, the one with the circular LED light. I use it with six string guitar and not the steel guitar. I don’t layer loops, I just put down a rhythm track and then plays fills over the loop. A very useful tool.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 7:54 pm    

Do you guys use the loopers straight into the input, or into the Preamp out and in? Also, some have two switches, one for start and one for stop, and some use one (with a double press to stop). Seems like the two switch one would be easier to activate quickly?

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 2:01 am    

I use a Ditto looper every time I woodshed on jazz 6-string, which is pretty much every day. It’s super easy to use. I just record a tune’s or phrase’s changes and then play lines back over those.

For example, let’s say I’m trying to get down a tough II-V-I line. I take 5 seconds to record the chord changes, hit the footswitch for playback and, bang, I can then work on the line over those changes. No switching cords between this and that, tweaking knobs or other time-consuming stuff. It’s got about a 5-minute record time which is way enough for anything I need. Simple. I love it.

Last edited by Eric Philippsen on 14 Jan 2019 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 1:02 pm    

I think Mike Neer uses one, you might ask him..

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 2:55 pm    

Len Amaral wrote:
I have the new Boss looper pedal, the one with the circular LED light. I use it with six string guitar and not the steel guitar. I don’t layer loops, I just put down a rhythm track and then plays fills over the loop. A very useful tool.

Last edited by Bruce Bjork on 20 Dec 2018 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 2:57 pm    

Len Amaral wrote:

I just bought a BOSS RC-1 like the one Len mentioned, great practice tool.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 7:18 pm    

I have a Ditto looper. What's the trick in starting and stopping the recording right on the money so it will loop smoothly without a glitch at the start stop junction?

Brian Saulsman

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 8:23 pm    

I am no expert but there are some useful YouTube videos.

I play through the loop once before recording and then start the looper on the second time through on the “1”. When I get back to the end I stop it right on the “1” again.

It takes a little practice to consistently get usable loops. I use my looper a lot to work out the simple things I’m trying to learn.

All the best.
Brian Saulsman

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 6:03 am    

I have the larger, two pedal, Digitech JamMan. It works well and has CD player input for Looping Rhythm Tracks or any Song segment that you want to play along with.
I have used it to create Rhythm tracks too.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2018 3:04 pm    

Donny, i actually tried the Boss Looper with the LED circular motion lights, but sent it back to musicians friend. I instead use the Trio+ Band Creator. It's a looper plus adds different bass and drum lines, that you can program the way YOU like. You can also use it without any type of accompaniment, like any typical stand alone looper. You can layer, and add or subtract the bass or drums, or completely change them. Trust me, it's so easy to learn, you will want to add the full accompaniment. You'll be making fantastic jam tracks in one day. The unit sorta learns and follows what you're playing. You can also save your tracks to an SD Card you can insert.

You can also create BIAB tracks, then add those tracks to build a loop on the Trio+ as well. And you can change the speed of your stored tracks, and loops, without changing the pitch. I also use the DigiTech FS3X foot switch with it, it's easier to use the Trio+ with the foot switch, then it is with the buttons on the pedal itself. I really like it a lot.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2018 12:31 pm    

I've been occasionally using my Ditto Looper, the simple first version, for use in teaching. I might be trying to show a student how to play a harmonized scale over a chord, or a series of chords, for instance, so I just click it on to start recording, hit some muted chords a few times at the desired tempo to act as a click track lead in, then play sustained chords. When I have what I want, I play that back and play the scale over it, great way to "show 'n tell."

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2018 12:32 pm    

I've been occasionally using my Ditto Looper, the simple first version, for use in teaching. I might be trying to show a studenthow to play a harmonized scale over a chord, or a pair of chords, for instance, so I just click it on to start recording, hit some muted chords a few times at the desired tempo to act as a click track lead in, then play sustained chords. When I have what I want, I play that back and play the scale over it, great way to "show 'n tell."

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2019 4:31 pm    

Thanks guys. I;ll probably start out with something cheap like the Ditto, and then move on to something better, like the Trio. Don't know exactly what I'm looking for, but all these comments will give me a starting point, from a steeler's point, anyway.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2019 9:36 pm    

IMO Loopers work well for multi-instrumentalists/one man band types. Somehow I've ben saddles with 3 different ones (one a TC Mic Looper) and have never found any use for them after a couple hours of experimenting.

OTOH when I got a Trio I found it tremendously useful and creative right away - and as soon as the "Plus" version came out I bought it and gave the other to one of my sons.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional