The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peggy Emmons honored at Country Music Hall of Fame
robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2018 7:38 am    

Peggy Emmons’ name has been inscribed on the donor wall at the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, Tennessee honoring her as a member of the “Cindy Walker Society.”

Legendary songwriter Cindy Walker bequeathed, in perpetuity, the income from her extensive song catalog to the Country Music Hall of Fame. Just a few of Cindy's songs are: “You Don’t Know Me,” "Dream Baby (How Long Must I Dream," “Bubbles In My Beer,” “In The Misty Moonlight,” “Cherokee Maiden,” “Warm Red Wine,” “Sugar Moon." The “Cindy Walker Society” was created to acknowledge and honor Cindy and the 12 additional benefactors who (as the plaque reads):

“By including the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum in their estate plans, the following donors help to preserve the history and traditions of country music for future generations.”

Peggy Emmons now joins Cindy and 11 more benefactors in this special place. Mrs. Emmons died in 2007. In 2013, Steve Fishell produced the CD: “The Big E – A Salute to Steel Guitarist Buddy Emmons.” Buddy Emmons expressed his wish that the proceeds from the CD be donated in his wife’s name to the Country Music Hall of Fame. Mr. Fishell stewards this special donation and, alongside Buddy Emmons and Country Music Hall of Fame, is responsible for Peggy Emmons being honored in such a prominent manner. It should also be noted Emmons historian/archivist and friend, Mr. Ernie Renn, initially suggested the charitable donation be made in Peggy’s name. Buddy loved the idea and he then suggested the proceeds be donated to the Country Music Hall of Fame.

As we all know, Mr. Fishell also produced “Concert and Conversation: The Big E: A Salute to Buddy Emmons,” an event staged in the Hall of Fame’s Ford Theater Saturday September 21, 2013 during Americana week. Buddy was interviewed by Steve and several top steel players performed. Pig Robbins and Duane Eddy, who both worked with Emmons, sat down in the backup band. The event was extremely well received and multiple sources reported Buddy was very pleased and honored with the event.

Mr. Fishell produced “The Big E” CD with the help of over 75 fellow steel guitarists, artists, musicians, engineers, studios and attorneys who gladly donated their time and salaries to work on the project. This was no small feat on Steve's part and I think we all can agree Mr. Steve Fishell deserves a big round of thanks from everybody in the steel guitar community for the support he brought Buddy in his last years. Steve continues his efforts to keep Buddy Emmons’ music and legacy in the forefront of the music community at large.

In an interview, Mr. Emmons said his wife was responsible “for everything I do.” They were married in 1968 so this would account for Emmons’ work forward from that year. This work speaks for itself and will continue to speak to future generations. Mr. & Mrs. Emmons were married for 39 years and were both 31 years old at the time of their marriage.

If you have the opportunity to walk in the museum’s 222 5th Avenue Lobby entrance, turn to the left and look up on the wall where Peggy Emmons’ name is written along with Cindy and the other generous benefactors of the “Cindy Walker Society.”

“Concert and Conversation: The Big E: Salute to Buddy Emmons”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mTE-caOoq8&feature=youtube_gdata_player&fbclid=IwAR1na1KeFh7L9fqUwPAQCRHuNLeq5DibwHEmlHG6L969Fuz6o2hlE1pVBgo

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2018 8:11 am    

Thx Bob!

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2018 9:05 am    

Super news. Great job, Bob - also special thanks to Ernie and Fish.

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2018 9:38 am    

Outstanding..

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2018 9:43 am    

Frank and Ron - Thanks very much for your replies but can I make it clear I was not involved in this process in any way? I just thought the steel guitar community should be notified where it is represented at its best: on the Steel Guitar Forum. I'm just a fan reflecting on the career of Buddy Emmons and the support he received from his wife Peggy.

bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2018 1:14 pm    

peggy was always a super lady, all class and a hoot to be around!

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2018 8:15 am    

Fish, thank you for everything you're doing to honor Buddy's wishes and to keep his legacy alive