The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SuperPro Changer Axle
Larry Robertson

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 9:09 pm    

Without getting into details as to why, I have to disassemble the E9 changer on my SuperPro. How is it secured in the housing? I don't want to assume that it's press-fit and start trying to punch it out if there is some other method that holds it in place, like threads,but there's no visible way to turn it.
Thanks in advance, Larry Robertson

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 11:34 pm    

Sho-Bud axles are just press fit, and generally not too tight. Once you've removed the tension from the strings and return springs, you can usually push them out easily with something as simple as a chopstick. Don't be afraid to tap if it's a bit snug, there is no set screw or anything else, it's just friction.

There will typically be some galling on the pressure side of the axle after many years of service so it's a good idea to scratch a mark on one end of the axle to reference its orientation. That way you can rotate it 1/3 to 1/2 turn when you re-install. If it's worn badly you can easily replace it with a length of 5/16" drill rod or a hardened pin. These work well: https://www.mcmaster.com/93772a121, you will need a grinder or a cut-off wheel cut it to length.

Larry Robertson

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2018 10:03 pm    

Thanks Ian, I discovered (with some advice from friend Dan Robinson who once told me he had worked on his R&B changer) that once the strings & springs are off of the changer, the pin just pushes thru either way. Mine was not even a press fit. I'd call it a slip fit. No tapping required. Just pushed it thru with a wood dowel. String tension is what holds the axle in place.
Larry Robertson.

Please close this thread. Question answered