The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ralph Thompson, Portland Or.
Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2018 6:38 pm    

Lost a good friend yesterday, his name was Ralph Thompson. He was originally from Nashville, Tn. I met him in 1974 on the island of Crete, Greece. We were both in the Air Force together. One of those friendships you hear about that although you don't talk every day, week, month or year, when you do talk you just pick up where you left off last conversation. Yep, through the old mail, old long distance phone calls right up through the internet. We were both guitar players when I met him and over the years we both ended up playing steel guitar. His main gig was being a marine biologist but always managed to play music throughout his life. Really a great guy all the way around and loved by all that knew him. Whew!! This one's kinda tough for me to take. That's him in the picture below the thread. Till we meet again, R.I.P. mi Amigo!!!

Doug Jones

Oregon & Florida
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2018 12:58 pm    

Had the pleasure of working with Ralph over the years on numerous occasions. A tasteful Tele player and even dabbled with PSG on his LDG. Everyone in the Portland area loved the guy. I still am at a loss to figure out why the good ones die young.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2018 2:39 pm    

Ralph was a great guy and good player. I didn’t know him well but he always seemed friendly and open. Enjoyed his guitar work.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2018 6:42 am    

I too am so sad about Ralph.
I recall it started as something that was giving him an ear-ache.
Oh gosh I'm sorry, Ralph.
I hope you have touched the face of God.
...And then headed to good Jam!
RIP Amigo! (He always called us "Amigo")
Pete

ps
I remember we were in the band Blue Moon Highway for a while, and we played together at many rehearsals and gigs.
He and I worked up the dual guitar/steel Fills for the Commander Cody song Semi Truck.
It was great! We were both very happy with he way it came out.
I don't think I have a recoding of us, but here is the classic Commander Cody version (darn this is making me a lil misty):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apFWBKSG11s

Last edited by Pete Burak on 1 Jan 2019 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2019 3:28 pm     Dabbling in Steel?

Not trying to start a debate but Ralph had a Loyd Green Shobud that he went throught the trouble of having been restored or at least set up by a a pro he knew/ He had Hilton Volume Pedal, Peavey 115 and I know he spend quite a bit more money that anyone who's was simply dabbling at steel. He was in it to play it and was a good enough musician to pull it off. He only stopped when he needed to sell his beloved LDG because he needed the money for his health issues. He'd a been as good a steel player as alot of the guys on here are. I'm only clarifying, he may have been just getting started but he was by no means dabbling. He was a steel player who also played guitar like a bunch of us on the forum. I could care less if he was just starting, or full blown Pro. Me and him cut our teeth together on guitar and he'd never admit it but he was a lot better than I was even at guitar. Anyway, just want to clear that up. That statement bothered me from the second I read it.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2019 3:55 pm    

I will look for a pic of Ralph playing Steel at one of our Portland Steel Jams.
Fwiw...
Dabble - To involve oneself in a secondary activity or interest.