The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Slim Yamaguchi?
Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 1:50 pm    

Does anyone know what Slim Yamaguchi is up to these days?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 3:43 pm    

Isn't he still with Mark Chesnutt?

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 3:56 pm    

I'm thinking so, Donny. Brett Day, would you like to chime in and confirm?

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 6:29 pm    

Yes. Slim is still with Mark Chesnutt. In an interview in 2012 somebody asked Mark if Slim was still playing steel with him, and Mark's answer was, "We can't get rid of him".Slim, a Grand Junction steel player who comes from Japan, has been Mark's steel player now for 28 years. In 2012, he'd been in Mark's band for 22 years. In the early '90s, Slim played Mullen guitars, then switched to Excel a few years later. Slim joined Mark's band, "The New South" before 1990, before Mark had his first single on radio. Slim is actually the bandleader, in addition to being Mark's steel guitarist.

Last edited by Brett Day on 7 Nov 2018 12:12 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2018 8:22 pm    

I have also seen Slim with Lorrie Morgan. I think it was GOO Show a while back.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 12:05 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
I have also seen Slim with Lorrie Morgan. I think it was GOO Show a while back.

Lorrie's steel player was Joshua Motohashi. He played an Emmons with Lorrie. and he's also from Japan. Slim has always been with Mark.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 6:24 am    

Thank you Brett!
My Japanese friend, Yoshio, was asking about Japanese steel players in the US. He mentioned those two and he also mentioned Katz Kobayashi who played with Marty Robbins, back in the day.
He said in his email about Slim: "Last night I happened to hear his play “Prism” on Steel Radio". He also was asking about how to get Slim's record. Does anyone know?

Last edited by Chris Templeton on 7 Nov 2018 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 6:42 am    

Thanks, Brett!

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 8:20 am    

I did a show last year opening for Chesnutt and I hung out with Slim for a couple of hours. Great guy.
He lives in a NW suburb of Dallas

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2018 4:03 pm    

All,
With the utmost respect I’d like to add some information to the previous posts. Please see the picture of the publishing rights I secured on behalf of Mark’s original New South Band that was started Circa May 1987. It is correct that Slim has been with Mark for 28 years, and Slim and I have kept in touch all these years. In fact Slim loaned me one of his Mullen guitars when I wanted to do a yearly holiday gathering locally back in the early 90’s so I could try one out.

Slim started with Mark around May/June of 1990. I feel strongly this is correct because I started my current day job in March of 1990 and in early May of 1990 Mark contacted me to rejoin the band and go on the road. I abstained to raise my family. Soon after Slim was hired. I’m pretty sure Slim was a friend of Mark’s then lead guitarist Glen Gordon and that’s how Slim snagged his spot. (Besides the fact that he’s always been a great player)

Prior to 1990 I was Mark’s original steeler and the certificate below came as a result of me taping our first gig together so we could critique ourselves. The cassette recorder was sitting on top of my NV400 but some of the songs have enough balance and quality that they could possibly be used for a Live album or for random use on other projects. I Copyrighted the material after I discovered the tapes in my safe. I sent Mark a copy of the Copyright and the recordings. All of the original members have rights to any royalties that may arise.

If my memory is completely correct I played for Mark until August of 1987 because our first child was born then and I didn’t want to continue commutting from Lake Charles to the Texas gigs. Mark then hired David Farenthall(sp?) who continued with Mark until he got his MCA recording contract. During that span I would work 2 weeks per summer with Mark while David went home on vacation. I don’t know why David didn’t go on the road but I know Mark tried a few steelers after getting the contract and then, as stated previously, offered me to rejoin and go on the road. The rest is history as stated above.

Btw, around 1993/94 my older brother, Tim, became Mark’s bass player and played some songs on the shows, videos, and recordings on his Cajun accordion. In particular the video of “It Sure is Monday” you can see him on accordion. (Mark loves Cajun accordion music). Tim worked for Mark for approximately eight years before coming back home.

I hope this clarifies the history of the band without being disrespectful.

Best regards,

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 4:59 pm    

[quote="Marty Broussard"]All,
With the utmost respect I’d like to add some information to the previous posts. Please see the picture of the publishing rights I secured on behalf of Mark’s original New South Band that was started Circa May 1987. It is correct that Slim has been with Mark for 28 years, and Slim and I have kept in touch all these years. In fact Slim loaned me one of his Mullen guitars when I wanted to do a yearly holiday gathering locally back in the early 90’s so I could try one out.

Slim started with Mark around May/June of 1990. I feel strongly this is correct because I started my current day job in March of 1990 and in early May of 1990 Mark contacted me to rejoin the band and go on the road. I abstained to raise my family. Soon after Slim was hired. I’m pretty sure Slim was a friend of Mark’s then lead guitarist Glen Gordon and that’s how Slim snagged his spot. (Besides the fact that he’s always been a great player)

Prior to 1990 I was Mark’s original steeler and the certificate below came as a result of me taping our first gig together so we could critique ourselves. The cassette recorder was sitting on top of my NV400 but some of the songs have enough balance and quality that they could possibly be used for a Live album or for random use on other projects. I Copyrighted the material after I discovered the tapes in my safe. I sent Mark a copy of the Copyright and the recordings. All of the original members have rights to any royalties that may arise.

If my memory is completely correct I played for Mark until August of 1987 because our first child was born then and I didn’t want to continue commutting from Lake Charles to the Texas gigs. Mark then hired David Farenthall(sp?) who continued with Mark until he got his MCA recording contract. During that span I would work 2 weeks per summer with Mark while David went home on vacation. I don’t know why David didn’t go on the road but I know Mark tried a few steelers after getting the contract and then, as stated previously, offered me to rejoin and go on the road. The rest is history as stated above.

Btw, around 1993/94 my older brother, Tim, became Mark’s bass player and played some songs on the shows, videos, and recordings on his Cajun accordion. In particular the video of “It Sure is Monday” you can see him on accordion. (Mark loves Cajun accordion music). Tim worked for Mark for approximately eight years before coming back home.

I hope this clarifies the history of the band without being disrespectful.

Best regards,[/quote
Wow! Thanks, Marty!
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Arty Passes

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 6:46 pm    

That's me on the left with Slim and Omar Oyoque, a great young steel player and musician now playing bass with Mike and the Moonpies.
This was in July of last year, we were opening for Mark and this is during a frantic changover in between shows.
We've played a bunch of shows with those guys over the years and it's always nice to visit with Slim.