The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which C6 copedent should i start with?
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 12:21 am    

Now that Michell has had time to digest all your suggestions, which seem good, I'll throw in another.

Tune the C6 neck down to B. It will help you to relate the two necks so that if you ever want to try a B6/E9 uni you will already have the geography. And in the meantime playing C6 tab up one fret will soon become automatic. You don't need to change string gauges.

Happy pickin' Smile

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 1:42 am    

I would suggest, as a NEW starting out C6th player, to stick with the standard C6th accepted tuning with 1 or 2 levers. That can be lower 3 + raise 3 or lower 3 + raise 4. If it's one lever, lower 3.

If you have the ability to have 3 levers, then raise 3, lower 3 and raise 4. Keep things lined up with the available learning material.

For ex: Programs like Jeff Newmans Music To get C6th by, is a 5+1 program and will bring you from the Dark Ages to the 21st century.

As a very simplistic person I say, don't change the Steel unless you know why you are changing it.

If looking at the open C tuning is confusing, look at the 4th fret as a reference , now it's an E tuning. equate everything back to the 4th fret if that makes sense to you.

As a marginally skilled C6th player I can tell you this, once we learn 3 or 4 BASIC phrasing and chord structures/positions, we can probably play almost ANY song with ANY band in ANY key, even with 5+1.

I equate the learning process to the AB pedals along with the E levers. C6th pedals 5 and 6 along with 1 or 2 levers will have you playing Bob Wills standards in no time , in any key. It's not magic, it's music, the theory is exactly the same. If we are trying to emulate Buddy or Maurice etc, well now thats a different story but even they started with simplicity then expanded on it.

Thinking about many guitar players, we play chords out of maybe 3 different fret board positions and carry around maybe a dozen different chords/substitutions, but we play hundreds of songs. In one of Doug Jernigans study books he comments the same thing, while we can learn a kazillion chords with various chord spellings, he says, if we learn a dozen different chords and a few redundant positions there isn't anything we can't play.

When we learn how to drive , the instructor says, to go forward, put it in Drive, to go backwards, put it in Reverse . Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2018 7:26 pm    

fwiw, here's Buddy Emmons' copedent on his 06 Zum... don't think I'd seen this before. funny he stopped raising his middle E to F but added the low F to G raise on pedal 4, which is a change I've been really wanting lately

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2018 8:36 am    

Interesting. I have that 9th string raise on the "A pedal" of my Hybrid D6th copedent. It's very handy for alternating bass in rhythm parts.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 10:20 am    

hoping to bring this discussion back around. I'm now playing a 10-pedal guitar with 2 extra pedals on C6. I added the 9th string F to G, which I love, and also the standard pedal 4 raise, A's to B.

so now I'm wondering where that pedal 4 change might come in handy. I've been having fun with it already but it's an option I've never really tried using til now

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 3:50 pm    

My C6 setup is exactly like Buddy's, with the exception that the left knee lever changes are reversed, and I have the s.1 D-D# change on my LKV for C6.

I want the D note as a natural most of the time, but I enjoy tossing in s.1 as a b9 voice occasionally.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 5:33 pm    

I have become so reliant on a lever that lowers s5 G --F.

Someone could help me immensely by telling me how to live without it. I play out of the s9 F root at least half the time.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 11:32 pm    

I raise my E's to F with pedal 4 and can't live without it, same with raising my C's to D on LKR

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 1:44 am    

Here's a (probably dumb)question: For a guy in his first year of learning pedal steel, do you guys advise him to learn one neck at a time (E9 in my case) , and then move onto the next?

I'm making pretty good progress on E9, with the limited time I have to devote to it. But, I have to admit that, having only diddled with the back neck (it has the standard changes as far as I know) a few times, for less than an hour total, it really doesn't make much sense to me. Which, I find strange, because C6 on my 8 string console made perfect sense to me.