The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E knee lever question
Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 3:53 pm    

On my Deckly S10 E9 tuning my E knee lever lowers the 6 string a whole step and raises the 2nd string a whole step. Is that a standard set up?
Thanx
Jerry

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 5:26 pm    

Do you have a lever that lowers the E’s (strings 4 & 8 ) a half step? I believe that would be your E lever. It seems more common now to just refer to the levers as LKL, LKR, etc. probably to save on this kind of confusion where so little is considered “standard”.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 9:34 pm    

Hi Jerry,
Some RKLs raise 1 from F# to G#, 2 from D# to E, and drop 6 from G# to F#. Maybe your guitar is missing the change on 1, and maybe 2 could be tuned wrong. I may have missed it, but I can't see a benefit raising 2 to F#, and it is not standard.

.............Pat

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 11:54 pm    

Jerry,From what I remember on your guitar is the E lowers strings 4 and 8 are on the RKL same as mine ...old sho-Bud set up unless something has changed in the last few weeks.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 11:59 pm    

Jerry,You're taking about your LKR lowering string#6 G#-F# while raising string #1 F#to G#I remember saying that your guitar has all of the same knee lever changes that my guitar has like it was setup for me?Jon Light can change anything you want.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 4:35 am    

I guess I would ask, why are you calling this an E Lever ?

Why don't you tell us how many levers you have , WHERE they are and what they do .

there is a common placement of E levers but that is not a golden rule. Lowering 6 and raising 2 is not typical. Typically lowering 6 and raising 1 are on the same lever. A common position for this lever is RKL but thats not in concrete.

What you are describing is not an E lever, regardless of location.

Do you have any levers that raise or lower 4 and 8 ?

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 5:16 am    

Tony,Jerry's guitar has 5 knees,LoL raises both E's4+8from E to F LKV lowers both B's to Bb. RKL lowers both E's to Eb.. RKR Does the 1/2 stop on string #2 C#-D. I forgot LKR lowers string#6G#-F#while raising #1 F#to G# that's how I remember Jerry's guitar from two weeks ago.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 5:33 am    

I am new to this and am not sure of the nomenclature. I have five knee levers. It is the Left knee, right lever. I hope this clarifies it Idouble checked to make sure and that is what the lever does, lowers the 6 string a whole step and raises the 2nd string a whole step. I have three books, I was trying to check out the chords shown with that knee lever and I was not getting them.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 9:59 am    

According to the information in Stu’s post, your “E” lever is on the right knee/left lever (RKL), which lowers the E strings to Eb. That has become a fairly common place to put that change. The other more common location would be the left knee/right lever (LKR).

So, in all your books where the E-lower lever is noted as LKR, you have to change the tab or make a mental note that on your guitar, this change is on RKL.

Or you could make the mechanical changes to your guitar to reflect the information in the books you’re using, which would be no small operation for someone new to pedal steel...

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 10:23 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
According to the information in Stu’s post, your “E” lever is on the right knee/left lever (RKL), which lowers the E strings to Eb. That has become a fairly common place to put that change. The other more common location would be the left knee/right lever (LKR).

So, in all your books where the E-lower lever is noted as LKR, you have to change the tab or make a mental note that on your guitar, this change is on RKL.

Or you could make the mechanical changes to your guitar to reflect the information in the books you’re using, which would be no small operation for someone new to pedal steel...

When I was first learning, I would write MY knee lever location under the 10th string to match whatever lever designation was in the tab. Back in the 70's, there were different copedents and lever locations depending on who wrote the course/tab.

As Fred mentioned, changing the guitar to match the copedent of the tab/course is a big deal even if you were already used to making changes. I would never recommend that to anyone anyway. What happens when you move to tab/course written by someone else with a different setup.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 5:45 pm    

I have played lead guitar in bar and original bands for fifty years and have never relied on sheets or tab or anything else. The path of least resistance is best. I know a decent amount of theory, I will just have to figure out to work with what I have. To try an be clearer if you look at the guitar from the seated position, their are 4 knee levers that hang down, one horizontal that you push up with your left knee. If you label the ones that hang 1,2,3,4 from left to right it is #2. The horizontal lever is between 1+2.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 1:00 am    

Jerry we all have guitars that have levers that hang down. Part of the journey of Pedal Steel is to relate what those levers do ( raise or lowers) to our playing and tuning. No different than moving our fingers on the fret board of a guitar to alter chord shapes or to embellish.

It's extremely important, no, make that mandatory , to understand what those levers do in relationship to physical placement as well . This is how we execute on the Pedal Steel.

That being said a majority of those levers are standard pulls and lowers, common threads. Where we place them individually may not be the same from guitar to guitar but the pulls and lowers ARE.

Like stated above, there is no such thing as a standard position for the E levers but there is a such thing as the E levers, where you place them is preference. But you gotta know what they do and where they are or it would be like playing your 6 string with 2 fingers.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 4:21 am    

If I am speaking of the lever itself, ergonomically, I label them LKL, LKV, LKR, RKL, RKR.
If I am discussing levers as pertaining to changes, I say "the lever that lowers the 6th string and raises the 1st" because of the absence of firm, established and agreed upon nomenclature. I'll cheat by referring to the F lever because that's pretty well understood but otherwise I avoid confusion by providing the details.

That being said, don't Stu's posts answer the question?

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 9:17 am    

I've been known to confuse myself...I may be schizophrenic but I'll always have each other"Thumbs Carlile"