The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  National Scheerhorn Vintage Limited Edition. Please Close
Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 3:24 pm    

I have a Scheerhorn resophonic guitar made by the National company, for sale. This particular guitar is a vintage limited edition, I'm not sure how many of these were made. This guitar is made with torrified flame maple with an aged piece of cedar for the top. Torrified is a process that several luthiers are doing these days to age the wood to get a lot of the tone characteristics that you would hear from a fifty or sixty year old guitar, or older. The cedar top is probably 25 years old. This guitar is built just like the guitars that Tim Scheerhorn builds. Tim is sort of semi retired and commissioned the National company to build the standard line of guitars that he used to build. Tim still builds but builds a few guitars a year that are more customized. He calls them his wishlist guitars and they start at 10 grand. The guitar I have is a limited edition, not part of their standard stock. I did change out the spider bridge to a #14 spider, which is what Tim normally uses in his guitars. The National company makes their own spiders in which I'm not overly impressed with. I've played several of Tim's guitars and this one plays, sounds and feels just like one that he would build. I will have to admit, you can tell a little bit of difference in a custom lacquer finish and a factory finish. The factory finishes tend to look a little too flawless. You can tell a difference between a hand rubbed finish and a sprayed finish. Nothing wrong with either, but that would be the only difference. I have this guitar listed for 3800.00, quite a bit less than what I've payed for it. I'm pretty sure this guitar won't depreciate from the price I'm asking. This is a chance to own a Scheerhorn for less than half the cost of a used Tim built Scheerhorn or a wishlist guitar, while at the same time, having a high quality limited edition instrument. 3800.00 plus shipping.

Last edited by Dean Holman on 16 Apr 2019 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 4:30 pm    

Great looking Nati-horn Dean!

I remember that one being on the cover page of the National website some time back.

It might in fact be the only one they have made with this particular wood "recipe."

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 6:09 pm    

Have not heard abt "torrified" process, Dean. Mebbe a link could be set up into the Steel W/O pedals on the Forum. Curious (Koa?) of other grains. Sorry for diversion. Jon

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 10:49 pm    

This is from an article written by Dana Bourgeois. Torrification is the heating of the wood in a controlled environment, cooking off the volatiles- the oils, sugars and resins that normally vacates the wood after many decades of drying. So, they are able to take a good piece of tonewood and age it with this process. This guitar is flame maple with a cedar top. The cedar top warms the maple and tames the highs that are normally present in the sound of maple. This is not a Koa guitar, however, I have seen a Natihorn built out of Koa. Koa does make a great tonewood.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 11:02 pm    

Jon Zimmerman wrote:
Have not heard abt "torrified" process, Dean. Mebbe a link could be set up into the Steel W/O pedals on the Forum. Curious (Koa?) of other grains. Sorry for diversion. Jon

Dean did a fine job of explaining torrefaction.

It's all the rage Jon. Everyone from Martin to Taylor to Gibson to small boutique shops are using torrefied wood these days for certain guitars.

What is interesting about Dean's guitar for sale here is the torrefied back and sides. On flattops the top is normally the torrefied portion. On resonators the back and sides give the most wood "flavor." After all, there is a huge hole cut out on the top where the resonator is mounted.

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 3:23 am     Thx guys

Worth looking into further. 👌

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 5:41 am    

Jon, the consensus has pretty much been that pre-war or acoustic instruments that are decades old, sound better. Alot of that has to do with how dry the wood gets, which makes the wood more resonant. I don't know how they do this process of torrification, I'm not a luthier nor do I really have the capacity to understand it, I pretty much trust builders like Dana Bourgeois and Tim Scheerhorn that pretty much have selecting tonewood or getting the type of sound that they want, to a science, that's why they're able to sell 5,000 to 10,000 dollar instruments. It does fascinate me how builders of instruments, can get a certain tone characteristic from their instruments that make them identifiable. For example, Martin guitars have a certain characteristic in the sound of their guitars, that make their guitars so identifiable. Just like steel guitar, an Emmons sounds like an Emmons and a Sho-Bud sounds like a Sho-Bud. It is fascinating how different woods carry different tonal properties and the torrification process allows that wood to sound more seasoned.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 10:25 pm    

TTT

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 9:48 pm    

TTT

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 11:08 pm    

This guitar is still for sale. I'll pay shipping if that helps.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2019 8:33 am    

I've decided that I might be willing to trade for a good SD-10 with 4&5. Either a Zum, Emmons LII, Mullen or Rittenberry.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2019 10:29 pm    

Please close this, I’m keeping it for now.