The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DV 50 issue resolved
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 2:44 am    

At the last show, 2 hours, 2 x 8 ohm cabs, both single 12's, typical normal environment, no excessive heat or anything blocking the amp. It cut out. 2 or 3 times.

Gain knob not even at 50%. Very moderate level.

The power stayed on, but the volume went to ZERO. after checking all cables and speakers, powered it off then back on, audio came back. Like it was a res-set. This happened 2 or 3 times over the 2 hour show.

What I ended up doing was powering down during segments where there was talking or introductions to songs etc... The amp never actually died but this needs to be addressed.

I did remove the top cover and there are 3 or 4 connectors which I will clean and re-seat. But this seems more like an overload protection kicking in.

I contacted DV support, so we will see. This doesn't change my opinion of the amp at all. In fact if they happen to make a DV 100 I will buy one !

Side note: it's a very tidy assembly, very well done and very well laid out.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 21 Dec 2018 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 4:44 am    

I contacted DV with two questions this morning , one they already replied ! I cleaned and re-seated all the connectors ( a big 5 ) and cleaned all the 1/4 phone plugs as well. I've had Alan Jackson streams running for about 2 hours now thru the MP3 input , no issues . Actually played Steel thru it for about an hour as well, using both the normal in and the MP3 in.

Who can say...but it was a good practice ! Laughing

I did learn that when you plug in the headphones the speakers are still live. You can run this amp with NO speakers connected, no issues. The Headphone connector does NOT override the speaker outs.

How about that, an amp you can run your Steel, MP3s and phones with no fuss ! By the way the MP3 input is not going thru the tone stack.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 3:58 pm    

Havent had any issues with my DV yet. Great little amp. Just a little to much presence in the EQ. But It handles high output and exceptionally clean.

I had a Trace elliot acoustic amp that had the same symptoms as you had with your DV Tony. The music store just gave me another TE so we never knew what the cause was.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 2:32 am    

I spoke ( email) with two different DV reps yesterday , they responded extremely fast. The amp ran fine for several hours yesterday morning so it was possible it was related to a speaker cable which I started using just recently when I installed the head in the cabinet. I removed the head from the cab and used the initial cables and the amp performed with no issues for several hours yesterday .

I was told that it does appear that the amp went into protection mode which makes sense. That was my initial thought as well. Typically this can be related to a bad speaker cable or even a bad speaker, which I don't think is the issue here. But I did change speaker cables.

I'm not worried about it , I have my 3 hour Christmas gig this week so I'll use the amp again and see whats up, if anything, but using different speaker cables.

I'm pretty impressed that two different techs responded so fast. We are going to stay in touch after the gig this week.

If the amp drops out I'll keep the Marshall stack in the car as a back-up. Laughing

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 10:42 am    

Any chance the house voltage may be dropping low? I seem to remember that digital power amps can stop out with a low supply voltage

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 1:22 am    

Ken Fox wrote:
Any chance the house voltage may be dropping low? I seem to remember that digital power amps can stop out with a low supply voltage

Ken , good point, thats always a consideration but I'm thinking probably not the case here. Mine was the only amp going into the "dead" zone.

Two things I changed, not making more than than two changes at this time.

I pulled the amp head out of the small speaker cab where I mounted it, it's possible that it was too close to the speaker magnet as the depth of the cabinet was restrictive. The rear of the amp was literally hanging in front of the magnet , maybe an inch away. It's just a hunch, a wild one. A very wild one ! I also re-did the speaker connect pair with 16 gauge, it was much lighter.

I suspect the DV tech is probably correct in that the speaker load was causing the shut down, I have one 12 " cab running about 20 feet away with 16 gauge cable and the main connect was a much lighter gauge cable, which was a recent change along with the amp mounted IN the cabinet close to the magnet. It is possible I had a bad connection on the newer speaker connection. I've been known to make a mistake or two in my life !

The amp is running just fine now , two days on no issues. Its back to the initial configuration from previous shows where there were no issues.

I have a show on Thursday of this week, I'll use this rig and see whats up, if anything.

When I installed the amp IN the cab it was a take off of the DV small combo amp, but, the depth of their cab is 12+ inches where my cab is only 10", placing the back of the amp right at the speaker magnet. Now I'm not a physics major but in the back of my mind I was thinking about the amp being that close to the magnet. Magnetic fields do weird things. As do improper speaker cables ! Very Happy

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 7:42 am    

Quote:
It's just a hunch, a wild one. A very wild one !

I still have nightmares from Emag II..

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 11:59 am    

Bill Terry wrote:
Quote:
It's just a hunch, a wild one. A very wild one !

I still have nightmares from Emag II..

Bill, your post is gonna give me a nightmare ! Laughing

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 1:38 pm     Amp problem

Tony, I am not an electronics expert by any means, but looking at the picture you posted got me thinking. Maybe you should remove the shrimp cocktail party platter sitting in the amp!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 1:51 pm     Re: Amp problem

Doug Palmer wrote:
Tony, I am not an electronics expert by any means, but looking at the picture you posted got me thinking. Maybe you should remove the shrimp cocktail party platter sitting in the amp!

Doug, I was thinking the same thing ! Laughing

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 2:13 pm     Amps

Tony, is that one going into your amplifier museum?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 1:42 am     Re: Amps

Doug Palmer wrote:
Tony, is that one going into your amplifier museum?

Doug I already told you the City planners shut down the Amp Museum because I didn't have enough parking and toilets.

I'm thinking about opening a Telecaster Museum in it's place ! Very Happy

In all seriousness, the DV 50 is a great little compact amp. It came out today to my afternoon show, all was well. I use this amp twice a month on my bi monthly shows. Small room, moderate volume, very clean responsive amp. Todays room was bigger than typical, the amp performed just fine, even after pushing it for more gain. Plenty of clean juice !

Many amps of this size and power rating peak out at near 50% on the knob, this amp offers more juice well AFTER 50% on the knob ! Tons of clean reserve gain.

I suspect my issue was speaker cable related. 3 things,

1) removed it from being extremely close to the speaker magnet, well within the magnetic field (just a whim)

2) cleaned and re-seated all connectors and jacks

3) went back to initial speaker cables, which was more likely the issue.