The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  iStrobosoft Tuner - bad results
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 9:46 am    

I downloaded the the app and the sweetener to my iPad and connected my guitar using the Peterson adapter cable. Proceeded tuning the open strings using SE9. I thought things were sounding funny while tuning, but I just went ahead and did all ten strings anyway.

Holy crap what a horrible sound!

I thought I must have done something wrong, so I went through the process again. Made sure it was set to A440, no capo, etc. Same result. Tried the EM9, not much better.

Does anyone else use this app? What am I missing? This sweetener produces the sourest tuning I could possibly imagine.

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 10:19 am    

I use it. OE9 for open strings, OP9 for changes. Sounds in tune for me. But I have heard that it is no where near as accurate as the actual Peterson tuners.

Donald Mohr

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2018 11:05 am    

Ok so it's not just me.

I used the SE9 preset and loathed the result. It's not bad if you bring the Es sharp but still...

I don't think it's an accuracy thing, I think it's just accounting for cabinet drop my instrument doesn't have

Kyd Brenner

Washington, DC/Harman WV
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 6:50 pm    

I've used an original Stoboflip for years and have been happy, although I rarely get the display to totally stabilize and the grey color of the display is not the easiest to see (newer ones are much better). Very happy w/ Strobosoft. I use it with iPad mini in a Focusrite I-track dock w/OE9/SC6 presets, love the big display. Generally stable within +/- 0.2/0.3 cents once new strings are broken in and before they start to wear out.

Leo Grassl

Madison TN
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 7:22 pm    

I don't use any presets but I do use the strobosoft app to tune, plugged in if I'm at a gig or just use my iphones microphone if I'm at home. I think it works just as good as any of the Peterson tuners. It may likely be that the presets don't suit your ear or your guitar or both.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 10:05 pm     Problem solved

Use the in iPad Portrait mode. Doink...
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2794834#2794834