The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who is this steel player? (Vintage content)
David Lehr

Sinking Spring Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 3:42 pm    

These pictures were taken in berks county PA at the Pleasantville hotel, the year is 1968. I'm told that Wednesday nights had country music, does anyone know who is playing this black emmons?

Last edited by David Lehr on 2 Dec 2018 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

David Lehr

Sinking Spring Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 3:44 pm    

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2018 7:52 pm    

Dunno who he is, but I bet he sounded great with that tape delay!

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 12:12 pm    

Looks like a wraparound with no knee levers. Hmmm...

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 12:15 pm    

The guitar player is using the Echoplex. I can still remember the sound and tube smell of my well seasoned Echoplex......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2018 2:01 pm    

Kinda looks Like Big Jim Murphy to me - and he did play a black Emmons during that era.

Tom Vollmer

Hamburg, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2020 8:46 pm     Pleasantville Hotel

That,s me and my first Emmons PP I think it was a wrap around. That, Dan Kelly on guitar. We got those suits when playing with Sonny Miller and the Happy Valley Boys.
So funny to me is I am still doing gigs at the Pleasantville Hotel ( now known as The Bridge Inn) with Pat Garrett and will be there Sat Mar 21 with Pat and Suzy.
I don' know your age but must have meet you sometime as I have played many Gin Mill's Fireman's carnival,s Social Club,s Church,s Hill Billy Parks, Old Folk's homes in Middle and Southeast Pa. To my memory I bought that Guitar in 1967/ 68 ?
I had been at the Reinhold,s Carnival to see Kitty Wells and Johnny and Jack . Stew Basore was on steel and talked to him about getting a Sho Bud ( I had a Fender 1000 at the time)
He asked if I knew of Buddy Emmons having a new guitar on market. I didn't He gave me Ron Lashley,s number I called wanted to see one. Ron gave me a number near Wilkes Barre
I called a Stanley Gramacki went up and saw and played and
went home called Lashley and ordered it. To my memory it cost a $1000 Also I do Steel Jams Call if you would want to attend. I am in the Reading phone book.

Tom Vollmer

Post  Posted 25 Jan 2020 9:03 pm     Pleasantville Gig more info

Herb, you are right no knee's My good friend Ted Solesky clued me on knee lever's. Being a Patternmaker I had no problem making a knee and putting on string 4 & 8 E toEb
Also thinking back most in our area had as I still do had Jimmy Day setups. Also Earl Day was playing the Echoplex thru I think a Fender Twin. I was going thru the Fender Bassman Tweed 4 10's later adding a Fender Reverb when they came out. Players Marvin Hable Bass, Earl Day Lead Guitar, Arty Dietrich Drums Dan Kelly on Flatop

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2020 8:38 am    

Great story!...I’m curious as to what you’ve settled on gear wise these days with all the improvements that have happened since your introduction to the instrument?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2020 9:04 am    

Now that's pretty fantastic. Not just an answer to an old question --- THE answer to an old question. Love it.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2020 9:56 am    

Mike,
What improvements!? Whoa!
Erv

Tom Vollmer

Post  Posted 27 Jan 2020 5:04 pm     Who is this Steeler Continuing Saga

More on the history of an early Emmons Push Pull
I am trying to answer some question on the Emmons in the pictures. To my memory I got the guitar in 1967 I have some info on the numbers. It was a wraparound number 2030 no D Also I got the second Push Pull after 12 years
of hard use and abuse on the first guitar. too many gin mills and too much booze. I got a second used Push Pull and striped the knee levers of the first one and put them on the next. It was a Bolt on 1045 D. Played that guitar quite a number of years. Played a gig and Ricky Van Shelton was on the bill and Tommy Hannum was his steeler.
Tommy was interested to buy number 2 Emmmons but told him I had an older one in my cellar. He said if I ever wanted to sell call him. Some years later after really hard wear on this one I got a 1980 Push Pull. Called Tommy Hannum and sold the both to Tom. Tom had the both restored and says they sound great. A side note is Tommy is working with Wynonna and playing a D-10 Lashley Le Grande III
To Mike my present tools are an Evans AH 200 head less than 10 lbs an Evans Speaker box with 15" 24lbs and a
Lashley Le Grande III Single double body. A side note on that guitar was paid with parts for Lashley. I was making
End plates and key heads and also machining necks for Emmons. I have so many other thoughts of my playing over the years but would not change any of it.

Mel Bergman

Camarillo, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2020 5:57 pm    

Look at the headstock on what appears to be a Gay guitar. That is as neat as the wraparound!

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2020 6:01 pm    

That is what I consider a real life success story! Thanks so much for sharing with us, I’m inspired!...thanks!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2020 7:32 pm    

What a wonderful testimony of pedal steel and history of a dedicated player. Great story and details from the past to present.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 11:38 am     Re: Pleasantville Gig more info

Tom Vollmer wrote:
I was going thru the Fender Bassman Tweed 4 10's later adding a Fender Reverb when they came out.

the tweed 4 10 bassman is one of the most expensive amps in the vintage market today. worth thousands! i knew several steel players who used them back in the day.