The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jimmy Day early '60's albums
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2018 12:09 am    

Did Jimmy play the same guitar on Golden Hits and Steel & Strings? I believe they were recorded a year apart. Was it a ShoBud permanent?

Love his soulful sound!

Thanks
Dave

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2018 8:01 am    

I think one of the albums was a Fender.

David Zornes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2018 3:27 pm     Jimmy Day

I believe it was his first “Blue Darlin’ Sho-Bud. The tone was unmatched then as it is today.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2018 4:22 pm    

This one? Double -8 string?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2018 6:58 pm    

That's a really cool pic! Would have loved to have been there that day...with Jimmy on steel, Shorty Lavender on fiddle, Johnny Paycheck on bass.

Is that Johnny (Tony) Booth on drums?

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2018 10:14 pm    

Donny:

The drummer is said to be Steve Bess--son of Big Jeff and Tootsie Bess---she being the operator of that well known bar in Nashville.

That looks like a very informal gig, so the pic may well have been taken at Tootsie's. Supposed to be from about 1961.

Here's a pic of Big Jeff's band from about 1949--Big Jeff third from right; Billy Robinson on steel. There's a CD out there of their recordings. I think Jeff was a pretty big deal on Nashville radio in that era, as "Big Jeff and The Radio Playboys".

At one time, Youtube had a recording of Steve singing "Long Tall Sally" live with Jeff's band as a young kid in 1956.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2018 8:35 am    

Well, I just got off the phone with David Jackson, and he told me that if "Steel and Strings" was cut in 1962, it was most definitely Blue Darlin #1. I was pretty sure it was BD1 because he was playing a D9 tuning on that album, which indicated BD1's 25" scale. But I thought that in 1962, he could have gone to the "Spade" guitar by that time. Not so, says David, that guitar came later.

If the color photo above is from '61, then he most probably played BD1 on "Golden Steel Guitar," which was cut in 1961.

AFAIK, David and Harry are the only ones still with us who'd have first-hand knowledge of this kind of stuff. I don't think anyone from the Emmons era first generation is still around.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2018 8:41 am    

Awesome! Thanks Herb. The Golden Hits record says 1961 so would that also be BD1? Some people say Fender but the tracks seem to to have that richer Shobud sound to me, except for a few. Perhaps he played two guitars on that one???

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 15 Dec 2018 9:48 am    

I was introduced to Jimmy and that guitar in the very early 60's when he blew through town playing for Ray Price. He showed me how to play the intro to Four Wheel Drive after the show. Didn't he also play bass on that record?

Geoff Queen

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2018 11:16 am    

The guitar pictured above looks an awful lot like a Blanton to me. I wonder if Jimmy ever recorded anything on the Blanton?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2018 6:46 pm    

From what I can find, "Golden Hits" was recorded in Nov. 1961, and released in 1962. "Steel And Strings" was recorded less than a year later (1962?), and likely released early in 1963. It charted as a "New Release" in March of that year in Billboard Magazine. (I remember the small Sho~Bud metal nameplates seen on the Blue Darlin' and on Don Warden's first Sho~Bud guitar.) With both albums being recorded only a year apart, I think it's pretty likely that both were done using the Blue Darlin'.

As always, I'm eager to get corrections or new details.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2018 11:01 pm    

Geoff Queen wrote:
The guitar pictured above looks an awful lot like a Blanton to me. I wonder if Jimmy ever recorded anything on the Blanton?

Not a Blanton, Geoffster. It's a cabinet end Sho-Bud. Lot of the early S~B's didn't have endplates.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Geoff Queen

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 2:25 pm    

Ahhh, gotcha Herb; thanks! The small badge and (what look like) tone knobs on the changer end reminded me of a Blanton.

Nick Fryer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2018 5:17 pm    

I know this has been covered in other posts, but I would like to know, definitively, what was the copedant that Jimmy used on his D9 ??

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 11:00 pm     Psg

On front of the BD-1 cabinet would that happen to be JD's name engraved by Buddy?

David Zornes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2018 7:59 pm     Jimmy Day’s Blue Darlin’

Yes sir, that’s the one; also, did you notice who was on the fiddle and guitar?