The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey valveking 50
Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 7:04 pm    

Was wondering if anyone has used a Peavey Valveking 50 combo with a steel..I know they have a good clean channel and are tube with a spring reverb,,,that sounds like the possible makings of a good steel amp...ANY COMMENTS???
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 7:29 pm     Peavey Valveking 50

A few years ago, I had two Valve King's, one with the single 12" speaker and one with two 12" speakers. I don't remember the model numbers. Since they were tube amps, I had very high expectations, maybe too high. I thought they were just OK amps for steel, but not the sound I was looking for, so I sold them both and moved on. I did like the single speaker sound better than the twin speaker version. I do remember that they were both heavy.Just my opinion, based on my ears and experience having owned two of them. I would not personally recommend them for steel, but it all depends on the sound you are looking for.

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 6:14 am    

I've wondered the same thing. Never tried one, but the new version of that amp has an impedance switch (4/8/16) that would let you swap out the speaker for something that might work better for pedal steel. I've found that a speaker swap can make a big difference for any amp.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 8:25 am    

I have a VK 212 that I tried to like, but didn't. I think they just have too much gain. I left it with a friend, (guitar player), and he can get a decent Tele sound after working with it for a while, but he isn't a fan of it either.

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 12:14 pm     Valvekng

Tommy..that's very true..version II of that amp also has a direct line out and a USB conection to get sound out to DAW which for some could be very important..I've got my eye out for a version II model but can't find that "great deal yet"
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 2:35 pm     Valveking

Sorry, the Valve King series was never intended to reproduce the steel guitar faithfully. The Session 115 and Nashville 112 were though.

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2018 3:27 pm    

Mike I certainly do not question your statement..I have a Vegas 400 and a Nashville 400..my interest in the valveking II was its studio flexability with a wishfull hope that a steel might sound acceptable through one..a lot of forum members on here swear on the Peavey Bandit series also but I don't think they are specifically voiced for Steel..IMHO..rest assured I would definitely want to try one before buying if it was my only amp

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2018 6:45 am     Valveking for Steel

Every hears differently.

Kerry Johnson

the Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2018 9:44 pm     ValveKing 50

RE; the ValveKing 112, 50 watt amp.

Can sound fine when used in a " LOW volume setting",
or for LOW volume practicing using Input #2 which is padded down.

I sometimes use the ValveKing VK-112 for giving Lessons in a small room, because of it's light weight, use the #2 Input, which has a -10dB pad and do not use the Gain channel at all, turn the treble way back or it screams.

It's an alternative to a great Steel Amp, under the above circumstances only.

Or buy a nice Milkman Amp instead
and be in Bliss.

Last edited by Kerry Johnson on 3 Jan 2019 10:05 pm; edited 3 times in total

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 5:52 am    

I have a 2 x 12" Valve King and I think it's great for pedal steel. I have put a couple of Telonics 12" neo speakers in mine and it's dropped the weight considerably. I know it wasn't designed for steel guitar, but in my opinion it sounds really smooth in the mid range and not a million miles from my old Fender Twin which I loved. I have got great amps like the Telonics TCA500 and the Webb 615E, and the Valve King can hold its head up in such prestigious company.

Mike Brown is right - we all hear things differently, but don't diss the VK amp out of hand, just try it first. You might be pleasantly surprised. Cool
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 2:01 pm     peavey

Thanks for the replies!! Yes the peavey I am interested in would be the newer model..valveking II..as I stated before more for its use in studio because of its outputs to board..I have found that tube amps usually have a warmer tone than SS amps so if a good reverb is present you can usually dial in something usefull..I have a super champ X2 tuber and it doesn't sound bad at all but its only I think 20 watts.

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2018 2:01 pm     peavey

Thanks for the replies!! Yes the peavey I am interested in would be the newer model..valveking II..as I stated before more for its use in studio because of its outputs to board..I have found that tube amps usually have a warmer tone than SS amps so if a good reverb is present you can usually dial in something usefull..I have a super champ X2 tuber and it doesn't sound bad at all but its only I think 20 watts.

Frank De Vincenzo

The Garden State
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2018 1:50 pm     Re: peavey

Derrick Unger wrote:

I just happened to see this thread and thought I would throw in my two cents.
Derrick, If recording into the board is your main objective, get the Valve King II 20watt head only. All the same connections as the 50, and no cab to deal with. I use the VK II 50 combo with my Justice pedal steel. I also, like you, use a Fender Super Champ x2 combo(15 tube watts). I have to mention that I run thru a pedal board with an assortment of gear. I am not a traditional player. I'm a hack pedal steeler but an advanced traditional guitarist. I hope that helps.

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2018 5:17 pm     valveking

Frank..I just passed on a valveking 50 combo for $250 on craigslist only because it was a 5 hr drive 1 way to get it..can you give some detail on using your valvekingII..I mostly have trouble with my amps being to bright..do you have to turn your valvekings treble virtually off??

Frank De Vincenzo

The Garden State
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2018 5:32 am    

Derrick,
check your email. I sent you a note.

frankie