The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mixer for Bose L1 stick PA
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2018 5:48 pm    

My band finally ditched the heavy cumbersome standard two speaker PA and went with the larger size Bose L1, not sure the exact model but it’s not the compact version.
It has two mike inputs and two instrument inputs and no onboard effects.
The Bose T4 mixer is made to be used with this but it seems to rely too much on presets and looks difficult to tweak on gigs. Which mixer would be a good choice...one with delay and reverb (maybe compression too but not important)?
Any thoughts on this? There are so many to choose from and I’ve never had to buy a stand alone mixer before. We will use four mikes and three instrument inputs.

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2018 6:06 pm    

Analog?

I have a Behringer X1204USB -. It has effects and 4 mic inputs, USB, and other channels. You will probably need more channels. Here's tons to choose from:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c264--Analog_Mixers

I suggest that you get more channels then you think you'll need, and consider digital - you can control mix with an iPad, smart phone, computer.

Hope that helps.

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2018 6:28 pm    

The L1 speaker is 8 ohms *depending on model* and the mixer designed for it is listed at least 200 watts depending on the model.

Bose has historically been known to make small foot print speakers but needs high wattage amps to drive the smaller speakers.

You may want to check if the mixer you replace is going to drive the speaker properly.

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2018 2:37 am     Re: Mixer for Bose L1 stick PA

Tony Palmer wrote:
My band finally ditched the heavy cumbersome standard two speaker PA and went with the larger size Bose L1, not sure the exact model but it’s not the compact version.
It has two mike inputs and two instrument inputs and no onboard effects.
The Bose T4 mixer is made to be used with this but it seems to rely too much on presets and looks difficult to tweak on gigs. Which mixer would be a good choice...one with delay and reverb (maybe compression too but not important)?
Any thoughts on this? There are so many to choose from and I’ve never had to buy a stand alone mixer before. We will use four mikes and three instrument inputs.

QSC TouchMix 8 or 16
Local mix and WiFi, real handy

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2018 5:45 am    

Godfrey Arthur wrote:
The L1 speaker is 8 ohms *depending on model* and the mixer designed for it is listed at least 200 watts depending on the model.

Bose has historically been known to make small foot print speakers but needs high wattage amps to drive the smaller speakers.

You may want to check if the mixer you replace is going to drive the speaker properly.

The L1 has it's amp built in...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2018 6:34 am    

Scott Duckworth wrote:
Godfrey Arthur wrote:

The L1 has it's amp built in...

Thanks Scott, wasn't sure which model speaker stick was being discussed how this model was to get its power or if bypassing all the electronics to just use the stick array was being considered. There's a few of them and all with different designs.

Bose always struck me as proprietary gear to function.

There are reported sound drop-out issues if the wrong cable is used and issues like that. Even things such as using voltage regulators, Bose warns it may cause problems and other proprietary speed switching issues.

This photo shows a mixer on the table. So is that a Bose T4 mixer. Guess the speaker stick needs to be defined as to what exact model it is and if it has a good enough input to accept a proper mixer signal.

The QSC George recommends appears to work with the L1. About $1000.

But if you like knobs and faders then there would be other makers.

Behringer Xenyx 1202 for about $80.
Whoa!

About $250 Behringer Xenyx X1222USB with FX and USB

We do major FOH and Behringer is our low cost solution for sound system rental on a budget in place of Avid board$ and can actually give a good enough sound when an Avid is not on the rider.

Behringer X32 about $2300. Concert FOH quality.

Mackie PROFX12V2 a 12 channel with built-in FX and USB $250

Yamaha never disappoints. Yamaha MG10XU Mixer with USB and FX $250

Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2018 10:08 am    

I played a gig last weekend in which the Bose were used. Mixer was an inexpensive Yamaha of some sort. These things were amazingly loud and sounded much better than one would expect

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2018 4:50 pm    

I have two Bose systems and have used this Allen Heath mixer with dual stage pre amps and great effects with excellent results. I am back to a T-1 now as I am working as a duo.