The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1-12” combo cabinet for old Showman?
Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2018 7:35 am    

I’ve got this ‘64 Showman head that I’ve recapped, checked and brought back up to snuff. It has the OT for an 8-ohm load rather than the more common 4-ohm. I’d like to put it in a single 12” cabinet and end up with a nice little combo unit. Anybody know of a cabinet that will accommodate that? Thanks.

Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2018 7:48 am    

Check with Maher cabs...Rick Johnson here...Mojotone...all very good sources.

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2018 7:55 am    

There is no stock cabinet that would fit your needs. You would have to have one custom made for you. I would recommend just getting a speaker cabinet that would fit right under the head.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2018 8:01 am    

I bet Rick would build you a cab!
If you are handy at all, there's nothing to building one yourself.
Here's one I built out of scrap ply for a Special 130 chassis I bought from a forum member:

[/img]

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2018 10:25 am     cab

I went to amazon..bought a vented subwoofer cabinet for $36 shipped for a 12" speaker..It is carpeted..came in 2 days and was flawless..put a 1/4" jack in it and use it with a Quilter Interblock amp..sounds fantastic..of course this is kept in studio and not used for gigging...just saying
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2018 10:25 am     cab

I went to amazon..bought a vented subwoofer cabinet for $36 shipped for a 12" speaker..It is carpeted..came in 2 days and was flawless..put a 1/4" jack in it and use it with a Quilter Interblock amp..sounds fantastic..of course this is kept in studio and not used for gigging...just saying
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Robert Bowling

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2018 11:32 am     cabinet

Have you looked at a deluxe reverb cabinet? I believe its close to what you need. I was considering the same thing with a '68 showman but the direction changed before I dug to deep.

Mel Bergman

Camarillo, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2018 11:36 am    

My band has used Blackface and brown faced Showmans for 30 years. Our other guitar player built a combo cab 25 years ago. My advice is to think about making the speaker part of the cabinet closed back. His is open, and it lost some of the Showman magic, in my opinion.

Also, unless you are insistent on a JBL D130, I would consider an eps 12”. His combo is pretty hefty to lug, and every pound counts!

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 7:22 am    

https://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/Cabinets_xx/Blackface-Bassman-Style-Guitar-Amplifier-Combo-Speaker-Cabinet_3

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 9:10 am    

Here is what my Dual Showman with 1x12 Cab look like. This is a random 1x12 cab that I bought here on the Forum a few years ago.
Works really great. That is a JBL K120 iin there.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2018 9:14 am    

Here is what my Dual Showman with 1x12 Cab look like. This is a KK Audio 1x12 cab that I bought here on the Forum a few years ago (not sure if KK Audio is still around or not).
Works really great. That is a JBL K120 iin there.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2018 3:33 pm     Yes!

A Showman chassis will fit in a Deluxe Reverb cabinet with NO modifications...

I had my Showman in a DR cab with a D-120 JBL in it...

It sounded great but was very heavy...

Eminence makes a neo 12'speaker that is supposed to be a JBL clone-that would help quite a bit weight-wise...it is a 4ohm speaker...you said you needed an 8ohm.

Merry Christmas!

SH

Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2018 7:55 pm     Re: Yes!

This is very interesting... if a Showman fits in a deluxe cab (I really never knew this) then a Twin Reverb will as well...this opens serious possibilities

Steve Hinson wrote:
A Showman chassis will fit in a Deluxe Reverb cabinet with NO modifications...

I had my Showman in a DR cab with a D-120 JBL in it...

SH

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX

Robert Bowling

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2018 6:00 am     showman

The early years of showman's and dual showman's without reverb had a smaller chassis. When they added reverb they went to a twin reverb chassis. So with The op stating a 1964 showman his should work. I ended up buying a 1x15 cabinet like the forum's Rick Johnsen offers but made by another builder unfortunately he was unavailable. That let me use a JBL 15" and keep the head in tact. I have a blackface tone-ring cabinet with a JBL it is 24"x36" they have a wonderful sound but very unhandy to move. Merry Christmas