The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The minor scale and its chords
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 11:52 am    

If a minor scale includes the major seventh, why is the flat seventh dominant? I'm not trying to be capricious, but if the Eb scale contains a-flat and b-flat,
why are a and b naturals in the relative minor scale?

There are people who know theory better than me; maybe you could respond about what I'm missing. The matter had never come up in 50 years
nor has it been a bother, but now I'm old and demand for everything to work together and yield logical answers. (Maybe I've missed more than I think.)

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 1:30 pm    

You may be confusing the different types of minor scales a bit. The relative minor of Eb maj is C min. C "natural" minor has all the same notes as Eb maj. C melodic minor uses the A and B natural when ascending and flats both note when descending. C harmonic minor uses the A flat and B natural both up and down.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 2:03 pm    

Meanwhile, the dominant is G (containing a B natural) while the subdominant is Fm (containing an Ab). This is why the harmonic minor scale is so called - it is used when it is necessary to fit the melody to the three basic chords.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2018 1:03 am     Re: The minor scale and its chords

Charlie McDonald wrote:
If a minor scale includes the major seventh, why is the flat seventh dominant?

I agree with the information in the previous responses, but... It’s like, here is the answer to the question we think you are asking.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2018 2:22 am    

Charlie should have enough answers now to work out the question Smile

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 9:14 am     Re: The minor scale and its chords

Indeed that is the case. Seldom is a question on the Forum answered so succinctly and conclusively. I understand the distinctions now, and they're reasonable.

Fred Treece wrote:
Charlie McDonald wrote:
If a minor scale includes the major seventh, why is the flat seventh dominant?

I agree with the information in the previous responses, but... It’s like, here is the answer to the question we think you are asking.

It's possible that that is the question. Perhaps I'm trying to mend some rift or riff.

In further thought: I'm listening to a project I just completed, another individual's tunes.
In one tune, I use the dom seventh throughout (almost every chord) although it's the chord I normally avoid at every opportunity. Another tune, I'm using the harmonic minor a the head (and throughout) because it's the one that sounds right?

Thank you for your excellent and informed responses.
Cool.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2018 10:54 am    

If the tune is in true harmonic minor, and the 1-4-5 chords are Im-IVm-V7, then the harmonic minor scale is absolutely going to work.

If you want to give your dominant seventh scales a jazz twist, try the harmonic minor scale a half step up from the root of the dom7 chord. In other words, play F harmonic minor over E7. Technically, it can still be called an altered E7 dominant scale, featuring b5, #5, #9, and b9. You can get some interesting chord voicings from it that are very easy on pedal steel and resolve to I minor or major nicely.