The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Milkman "The Amp"
David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 9:57 am    

The more I work with this amp, the more I love it....

After using it with a legacy EV 12" 8 ohm speaker... it sounded so good I decided to try it with a Celestion G12H90 8 ohms (in a Line 6 1X12 cab)…

To my ears, the mids were much sweeter than when used with a 4 ohm 15"? So yesterday I spent some stage time experimenting more with this 8 ohm 12" speaker.

I used the "Treble" eq to dial in my highs, the "Bass" to dial in my lows, and than I carefully adjusted the tube preamp volume to dial in my mids.

I found a point where everything sounded so good!

Now I'm not a techy when it comes to amps/speakers, and I'm not sure why the 8 ohm 12" sounded better than the 4 ohm 15"... or why the tube pre amp smooths out the harshness of mids... so maybe someone on the forum can enlighten us on these points.

I do know this, I love this little work horse Smile
Thanks Tim!

Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 6:31 am    

If I were to use "The Amp" going direct to the board
along with a speaker cabinet can I adjust the speaker cabinet volume and not change the output to the board?

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 1:53 pm    

Bob,
I think the master volume controls both outputs.

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 1:57 pm    

Bob Grado wrote:
If I were to use "The Amp" going direct to the board
along with a speaker cabinet can I adjust the speaker cabinet volume and not change the output to the board?

yes, there is only one global master volume

I do make a similar product that has the option to control the DI output level independent from the speaker: The 300W Half and Half

I am so happy to hear that steel players have embraced The Amp! I have been using mine regularly as well. I put my D120s into lightweight 1x12 cabinets: if I need to be loud, I bring both, if not I just bring one.
Milkman Sound on Twitter

David Wren

Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 6:56 pm    

Tim, I saw a note by you on the PF 350, saying you were going to try one out...

I got one from a fellow forum member, and I'll post my results on using "The Amp" with this speaker... I know it's a power mismatch, but I also have other uses for the 350 watt speaker... so I may as well try it out Smile

Eric OHara

Peru, NY, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2018 7:08 am     Milkman amp

Wow. This amp sounds pretty amazing and its such a portable package. Cant wait to try one out!

I am recently new to the forum and really appreciate all the information everyone shares here. It has really been helpful in some of the gear decisions for the tour I'm currently on - and this little (size only) amp may be super helpful in that area as well. Thanks. Eric (The Gibson Brothers Band - Mockingbird).

Sho-Bud Super Pro (8x6), Goodrich 6122-R, Peavey Nashville 112

Theodore Wells

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2018 7:51 am    

Has anyone played The Amp through a GD Walker Stereo Steel cab with a 15" JBL? I believe mine are K130. Also anyone used the pedal out on The Amp into a Stereo Steel amp? Thanks

David Wren

Post  Posted 7 Dec 2018 10:07 am    

I have used the "pedal out" into my Katana 100 head, connected to a Line 6 112 cabinet.... that was remarkable what it did to warm up that solid state amp...

Last Wed. I played my Milkman connected to a Weber 15 inch 4 ohm "Michigan" speaker (based on the legacy EV 15's)… it sounded great, with tons of bottom for the 6th tuning.

But in all honesty, so far my favorite speaker for this amp is a Celestion 8 ohm 12" G12H90... with that said, today I'm installing my new PF 350 12" 8 ohm into a cabinet... and I'll be trying that combo out this weekend... I'll be sure to report back.

David Wren

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 10:41 am    

As promised, here is my report on using my "The Amp" with a PF 350 12" 8 ohm speaker.

Oh brother! All that has been said about the weight of this speaker (22 lbs.) is true, but I put it in a "not-too-heavy" cabinet, and the weight is only half of my old Session 500 Smile ... however with that said, what great tone and string separation.... an absolutely even response from my high G# down to my lowest B string... and clear as a bell.

I can see why folks are going to the TT lighter weight neo speaker.... but this PF 350 is really something.. and that was only using this 50 watt amp..... amazing for a 350 watt rated speaker to sound that full at lower volumes too!

I decided on a "cube" shaped cabinet, roughly 16" on all sides, with about 1/3 of the back open, and rear loaded speaker.

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2018 9:48 am    

Hey Dave,

You wouldn't happen to have any gigs coming up out my way by any chance? I would love to check out the Amp and also hear you work your magic on that Carter of yours.

Thanks,
Joe

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2018 10:00 am    

David, how much play time do you have on the PF350? Mine sounds great after some break-in time, so if yours is brand new, it only gets better!

David Wren

Post  Posted 11 Dec 2018 10:34 am    

Joseph, our band just decided to take the next few weeks off, except for an open mic we will continue to host in downtown Placerville.... but I'll email when we're back in normal operation Smile

Tommy, I purchased my PF 350 via the forum used, from another steeler.. so I'm guessing it is already plenty broke in... sounds great that's for sure.

David Wren

Post  Posted 11 Dec 2018 10:35 am    

Joseph, our band just decided to take the next few weeks off, except for an open mic we will continue to host in downtown Placerville.... but I'll email when we're back in normal operation Smile

Tommy, I purchased my PF 350 via the forum used, from another steeler.. so I'm guessing it is already plenty broke in... sounds great that's for sure.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2019 5:45 pm    

OK, just ordered, found an "open box" deal and didn't have to wait for the next production run...I also got a 8 ohm Jupiter 12" ceramic (what Tim says he has in his extension cabinet) and a Mojotone Lite 1x12 cab, speaker+cab about $350 total..

...and I think what Bob Grado was talking about above is what Baggs preamps do - the ¼" out (just preamp, not high power, of course) is controlled by the master volume, but the XLR is constant, only the pickup input gain affects it...no extra controls, just different schemes for the XLR and ¼"

When I'm not going to a local speaker I need a monitor, so I'll just use my Fishman Loudbox mini for that (driven by pedal out?), it has its own volume control...and XLR to the PA... to get a way to have two separate volumes....

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2019 11:48 am    

Duh...I feel dumb......the Volume knob doesn't affect the output from the XLR...but the Gain knob does. So if you want XLR volume control available, just don't max out the gain when you are setting the level...or use Tim's "max clean headroom" thing of maxing out the volume and controlling it with gain, if you always want local and XLR volume linked - i.e.,you can get whatever behavior you want between how you balance the two controls...

And I'm loving The Amp...just carrying a little pedalboard to practice with The Amp and a Moyo volume pedal and a couple of others (those newish mini pedals are great for some things, Ana Echo and Soundcake multi-effect)...and an XLR cable to the PA...panned the PA system on my channel to come out of the speaker near me...and Bob's Your Uncle!

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2019 12:25 pm    

I too am loving mine, through the Milkman speaker in a vintage aluminum RCA Victor cab.

Edited .

Last edited by Marc Jenkins on 19 Apr 2019 9:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2019 12:41 pm    

Amp is really, really low noise, too...

Last edited by Steve Lipsey on 29 May 2019 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2019 1:34 pm    

I do not remember the exact measurement, but the noise floor is very very very low. I think it was in the .001dB range when we did the initial test with the Audio Precision setup.

If you are using The Amp with 220/240V power and you hear noise send me an email and I’ll help you out.

Wayne Steppy

Fort Worth Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 6:11 pm    

I can't wait to get mine, I've been in a backorder loop at Guitar Center forever.

Wayne Steppy

Fort Worth Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 6:13 pm    

I can't wait to get mine, I've been in a backorder loop at Guitar Center forever.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 6:20 pm    

I lucked into an “open box” one...

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2019 10:51 am    

QUESTION - anybody try 4 ohm vs. 8 ohm speakers to hear the difference between 50 watts@8 ohms and 100 watts@4 ohms? Is it audible? Maybe just a bit more headroom before distortion sets in (which would be great!)?

If it is worth doing, is there a single 4 ohm 100 watt 12" lightweight (Neo?) speaker anybody would recommend? I now have an 8 ohm Jupiter Ceramic in a Mojotone Lite 1x12 cab...

Or....I'm into keeping it small and light and considering a Mojotone Lite narrow panel tweed cab with Jensen 10" Neo Tornado Classic 2x10 8 ohm speakers to get the 100 watts in a small, light cab. Plus, I always liked the extra flavor of double speakers...thoughts?

I'm playing lap steel only, if that matters. Lots of output from the pickup...

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2019 12:39 pm    

FYI from Tim, re alternate speaker configurations:
"Regarding output impedance and power level. No, there is virtually no audible difference in volume between 4 and 8 ohms. Its hard to beat the speaker and setup you already have
- Tim

Marco Bartolomei

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2019 9:15 am     The Amp

After seeing all the positive reviews, I'm very interested in "The Amp." I currently run out of a Peavy Nashville 112. I'm look for more of a tube tone, and I'm looking for the capability of running in stereo. I use many effect pedals, including many Strymons, which sound great in stereo. I'm trying to figure out exactly what to buy to get the sound I'm going for.

It is my understanding that I need two speakers in addition to "The Amp" head in order to achieve the stereo sound. Would it be wise to buy "The Amp" and get two cabinets with speakers of my choice (I like the Telonics speakers)? I see Milkman also has combo speakers. The 300W Pedal Steel Half and Half gives you the option of an extension cabinet. This would give me two speakers that I'm looking for. The Half and Half comes with a head. I see that it doesn't have the same knobs as "The Amp," particularly "Swell" instead of "Reverb" on the Half and Half. I'm wondering if the tone of the Half and Half head is similar to that of "The Amp."

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2019 9:25 am    

Neither of those are stereo. Two speakers gives more power, but not another channel
There is more reverb flexibility in the Half and Half, but The Amp also has tremolo, which the Half and Half doesn't.
The Half and Half is 300 watts, The Amp 50 or 100, depending on speaker impedance - that is where the idea of multiple speakers comes from, 2x8ohm speakers becomes 4 ohms, which gives you 100 watts, vs. 50 with one speaker.