The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Do you prefer tabs numbers "Between Strings" or "On Strings"
Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2018 12:55 pm    

For some reason I can read tab better if the fret numbers (and pedal letters) were written directly on the string as opposed to between the strings. I know it might look like the string line is going directly through the number (or letter) but it is easier for me to read.
Most of the tab I see is written between the strings which always messes with my brain. What is your preference?

K

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2018 3:16 pm    

Hi Kristen

I'm not a six string guitar player, but I think what you refer to is perhaps how six string guitar tab is presented.

However, for PSG tab, the 'lines' do not correspond to each string of the steel.

Directly to the left of a line of PSG tab, there is a Column that identifies the strings, and

the 'spaces between the lines' of tab correspond to each string to play (per the Column to the left of the Tab lines).

This method of PSG tabbing also allows indication of pedals and/or levers used to alter each strings pitch at the noted fret.

Hope the above helps.

My preference is as I've described above.

Ron

https://www.abtech.org/~holtz/tab/blank/10StringTab.pdf

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2018 6:07 pm    

I prefer to have the tab written in the spaces between the lines rather than on the lines themselves. I find it easier to read the numbers without lines going right through them.

But, I see your point...

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2018 7:04 pm    

Yea, I am starting to get used to it.

Thanks
K

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2018 1:28 pm    

In my tab I use long lines to indicate sustained notes, so if the string lines ran through tab numbers, I'd be sunk. Here's a sample. Notice I include string #s at both ends of the line, and grey in strings 4 and 8 to easier identify strings in the middle of the line. Those are the root notes in open chords.

I use dots to show were sustained notes get cut off, usually blocked. The little frown symbol is my shortcut for rocking onto a pedal. I also include timing notation. All this is laboriously handcrafted in my page layout program, QuarkXPress.