| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Flight cases for Pedal Steel - SKB Rail Pack Case
Eric OHara

Essex, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2018 5:06 pm    

Hi all, has anyone ever used or is currently using the SKB Rail Pack Case with foam? and is it satisfactory for airline use? I am currently looking to purchase a flight case and this SKB case is relatively less expensive than the usual full on "anvil" type case however, I would rather spend the money to protect my guitar than go for the less expensive case - unless the less expensive SKB case really works.

thanks in advance.

Eric O'Hara (touring with the Gibson Brothers Band - Mockingbird)

Sho-Bud Super Pro, Goodrich 6122-R, Nashville 112
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2018 10:38 pm    

Yes, I've read several posts here from folks who use an SKB rail pack. They apparently fly well. Just click the "Search" link at the top right of the page and type in 'SKB Rail Pack' and read up on it.

A Super Pro might be a little too big for that particular case... Measure your guitar carefully, and take into account you're going to want an inch of foam on all sides. You might have to look at Pelican or some other brand to find one large enough for a big-bodied Sho-Bud.
John Macy

Denver, CO/Rockport, TX
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 6:11 am    

I fly my steel in an SKB regularly, including internationally, with no problems at all. My Fessenden SD 10 4x7 with the lightweight legs clocks in at 48 pounds...
Fessenden Guitars
Benado Effects
Telonics Amplification
D’Addario NYXL Strings
Sarno Music Solutions
Eric OHara

Essex, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 3:16 pm     Flight cases for Pedal Steel - SKB Rail Pack Case

Thanks for the insight and info. you make a good point regarding the amount of foam within the case vs. the size of the guitar. With the steel being almost 11' wide and the case not quite 13 3/4" it could be a little light in the foam department (for my liking anyway).

I'll do a search as noted (SKB) and see what comes up.

I've made some inquiries to the heavier duty cases and I'll see where that takes me as well. Luckily I've got a little time to research before hittin' the switch.

Appreciate your comments - I'm new to the forum and based on this feedback alone - I'm real glad I joined! Eric