| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  John Call's intro to Amie
Norman Allen

Victoria, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2018 4:55 pm    

Could anyone offer any insight on how he is playing the intro. Sounds like he starts off in A at the 12th fret playing 8 7 6 6. At the end of the second measure he lowers a F# down to E followed by lowering a C# to B. I just can't get these 4 notes to flow very smoothly. Do you think he just using his C pedal?

Thanks, Norm
Norman Allen

Victoria, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2018 5:06 pm    

Here's the YouTube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-c1az4uJzo
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2018 5:59 pm    

I play every note in the Intro at Fret 12 out of the AB Position as you said.
Use the first string in there, too.
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2018 11:04 pm     Re: John Call's intro to Amie

Norman Allen wrote:
At the end of the second measure he lowers a F# down to E followed by lowering a C# to B. I just can't get these 4 notes to flow very smoothly. Do you think he just using his C pedal?

Yes. He hits the F# note and bends down to the E. He probably doesn't have a 1st string lower lever, so... that leaves either a 2 fret slide down on the 1st, or a bar move up two frets, hitting the 4th string then sliding back down to the 12th fret. Or he's quickly jumping over to the C pedal, hitting 4 and releasing the pedal.

The 4th string bar move is easiest for me to play at that tempo. But I think it's probably the C pedal. The second time he does that move in the intro at 0:18, you can clearly hear a very fast, clean attack from E up to an in-tune F#, then back down. That's the giveaway that it's maybe a pedal move rather than a bar move, up and back down. Slow the video down and you'll hear what I'm talking about. The accuracy and whiplash change of a stomped-on pedal is very hard to match with a bar move. It just sounds slightly different. But it's so tricky to do that pedal jump over to C at that speed and make it smooth, at least for me. John could probably do it either way and make it work.
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 11:48 am    

Hi folks,
The other consideration is like what I used to have .....a Vertical (LVK) to raise just high E up to F# I Had this for years ( it now raises high B up to D), and you could effortlessly play Amie .Maybe JD Call has or had this.Does anyone here know his copedant at the time of the recording.
Maybe this is a golden opportunity to get to know more about John .Is he a member? His influence on me was immense and it was he who I first heard in 1977 and inspired me to play.
Regards Dave
Norman Allen

Victoria, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 11:55 am    

Thanks for your reply's. Hey Tucker. I too have slowed this down and I hear exactly what you do. Yes at 0:18 you can hear a very quick wind up and back down to the E note. Like you I think this really points to the C pedal. Then to tag it off engage both B and C and play 3 3 5 4 and release your C pedal and then 5 open. Then head back to your AB position and finish it off. Cheers.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 12:00 pm    

Thanks for the clip Norman. In all these years, I had never heard this live version with John doing the intro on steel.

I'll have to figure this out as well. I'll use this info everybody has posted here and dig it up. Thanks.
Norman Allen

Victoria, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 12:34 pm    

Hey Dave. That crossed my mind a few times. If you had a E to F# change on a knee I agree it would really smooth things out.
I'm sure his playing was a huge influence on me also and after all these years has inspired me to acquire a pedal steel. I'm in my sixties now after getting lost in bluegrass banjo and guitar for a few decades. I feel like listening to PPL again has brought me back to the late seventies when I first got turned on to country rock music.

Norm
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 2:24 pm    

I would like to update my opinion on how this is played. I've been focused on that odd "ba-DAA" attack at the 0:18 mark and thinking that could only be done by stomping on the C pedal as quickly as possible.

I've been messing around and found, much to my surprise, that I could replicate that weird attack only by moving the bar with the fastest possible jerking motion. This is the opposite of what I had assumed, but now that I've put bar to string and actually spent some time with it... I think he's doing this change as a bar movement rather than the C pedal.

Not only that, it's about a thousand times easier to play as a bar move... but like Dave said, it would be nice if somebody that knows John could ask him how he played it.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 2:43 pm    

I haven't looked for other video's of John playing it live, but there a re probably a bunch from later years.
As long as people instantly recognize the lick, my reccomendation is to play an intermediate version fo Johns, by just picking the string-1 F# note.
I tried it all four ways today too, and there is an easy way and three hard ways. Smile
I actually like the quad up/down left foot stomp requiered to do the C-pedal method!
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 2:43 pm    

I haven't looked for other video's of John playing it live, but there a re probably a bunch from later years.
As long as people instantly recognize the lick, my reccomendation is to play an intermediate version of Johns lick, by just picking the string-1 F# note.
I tried it all four ways today too, and there is an easy way and three hard ways. Smile
I actually like the quad up/down left-foot stomp requiered to do the C-pedal method!
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 2:53 pm    

Hi there Norman,
I listen to PPL quite often.There is some brilliant steel playing going on and some great songs .I love the way you get a rock overdriven guitar and steel sounding together.It seems to accentuate the purity of the steel sound.......no doubt done on a Sho Bud straight into a Fender Twin ....no rack / digital gear in sight.
If you can try the E to F# lever when you get a steel
Cheers Dave
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2018 3:42 pm    

The other alternative to raising E to F# is using R foot on the pedals ......left foot for A&B and right for the C ....a bit like C6 playing,2 feet on the pedals at times.